SoCal WJ guys - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SoCal WJ guys

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #61
Trevino
1999 WJ 

I love my truss. One of the better mods I've done. Other than a aftermarket diff cover and a regear I'm not doing anything else to the 44a. A lot of people have brought up that it limits your ground clearance but I don't think so. If anything I think it works as a skid to not scrape chunks of aluminum off the diff.

No reason to change axles. My stock axles work just fine, but I plan to run 37's ultimately. So final plans are d60's on 37's with hydro assist. Gotta do both at the same time though or the axle is gonna get caught up on everything.

Why do you ask?? Is there some reason that a axle swap is a bad idea?

Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #62
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
I love my truss. One of the better mods I've done. Other than a aftermarket diff cover and a regear I'm not doing anything else to the 44a. A lot of people have brought up that it limits your ground clearance but I don't think so. If anything I think it works as a skid to not scrape chunks of aluminum off the diff.

No reason to change axles. My stock axles work just fine, but I plan to run 37's ultimately. So final plans are d60's on 37's with hydro assist. Gotta do both at the same time though or the axle is gonna get caught up on everything.

Why do you ask?? Is there some reason that a axle swap is a bad idea?
Wow, 37's! You got some big goals. I ran 37's on my XJ for a short period of time and hated it. I lost a lot of flex that I had with my 35's, my steering started binding up real bad, and I no longer could fit it in my garage. If I had hydro steering, then that would have made a HUGE difference. I don't ever plan to run 37's but I would LOVE to see you go that route. My wife would kill me if I run 37's on HER daily driver. On a side note I have some pics of my hockey puck bump stops. What I did was stack them up and then drilled a 5/8" hole right down the center. I then counterbored the top puck 1/2" to allow the bolt head and washer to fit below the outer puck surface. I used a 4 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a lock nut at the end. Once I had the hole drilled I then glued each puck to the next. I then ran the bolt back through and tightened the nut onto it. They will sit over night and dry with the bolt itself being my clamp. In the morning I will drill the hole on the lower plate and install. the reason I glue them is to make them one unit so when I remove the bolt down the middle to install they wont just fall apart. They are also easily adjustable by getting a 1" longer or shorter bolt and adding or removing a puck. Should only take about 15 minutes. I did this same thing with my TJ and XJ. So to make these I needed 2 4 1/2" x 1/2" bolts, 4 washers, 2 lock nuts, and 8 pucks (1" thick each). In total I have just under $15 invested. These are basically 4" bumpstop extensions. My lift with spacers is more like 5" which should work perfect. This will give me a little bit more uptravel then the factory set up but not too much. My tires should stuff tight without rubbing. I will show pics of them installed tomorrow.

Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #63
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Lol Yea I get that a lot when I tell people I still wanna go bigger. Not to worried about the garage since it doesn't fit as it sits now. Plan on sticking with these axles for a while though, so long as the d30 holds up. I don't wanna dump a lot of money in it knowing its coming out one day. Like I said, now that the rear is trussed I have a lot of confidence in it. Gotta go to 35's soon though, the wife says my current tires look to small.

Bumpstops look good man. I wanna see them installed. Do you still use the rubber factory bumpstop? That's a pretty good price man. I went to my local big 5 when you brought up the hockey pucks and they wanted 3.95 a puck so I walked put. For the amount of pucks I would need at 6" I could damb near buy the iron rock extended bumpstops.
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #64
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
Lol Yea I get that a lot when I tell people I still wanna go bigger. Not to worried about the garage since it doesn't fit as it sits now. Plan on sticking with these axles for a while though, so long as the d30 holds up. I don't wanna dump a lot of money in it knowing its coming out one day. Like I said, now that the rear is trussed I have a lot of confidence in it. Gotta go to 35's soon though, the wife says my current tires look to small.

Bumpstops look good man. I wanna see them installed. Do you still use the rubber factory bumpstop? That's a pretty good price man. I went to my local big 5 when you brought up the hockey pucks and they wanted 3.95 a puck so I walked put. For the amount of pucks I would need at 6" I could damb near buy the iron rock extended bumpstops.
I looked at sport challet first and they wanted $5 a puck. Online you can find them right around a buck. I waited until I found them with free shipping. I will try to see if I can find the confirmation email from the co.

edit: Here's kinda what I bought. It's a 50 pack for $57 with free shipping. I originally bought a 30 pack, but can't find that deal right now. You could easily split the cost between someone else for around $28 which would give you plenty for the front and rear. Probably another $10 in hardware and your set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-Pucks-Bulk-50-cs-Official-6-oz-/290585136393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a839 4d09
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Got the front bumpstops in. The passenger side only took about 15 minutes. I went ahead and removed the coil spring since it was in the way and I needed to install my OME 10mm spacers anyways. You may notice the pucks are not centered on the plate. The reason for that is I used my JKS arms to adjust the axle forward just over an inch so I had to slide the pucks back (off center 1") to compensate for that. The bumpstop now hits the pucks dead center and right when the tire is just about stuffed into the fender. Here's the passenger side pics.

The driver side was a little more tricky since the plate is actaully cast into the diff. I drilled a smaller hole this time to make sure the bolt didn't just slide through it. I then put the pucks on, put the bolt in place and got my impact gun and threaded it into the hole. The hole itself is not threaded but it's in there pretty tight. The hole I drilled HAD to be in that specific spot to ensure the pucks and bumpstop hit dead center but that location caused a problem. That location did not give me room underneath to get my lock nut on the bolt. This is why I drilled a hole too small then used my impact gun to thread it in. I will have to weld the end of the bolt into that cavity to ensure it doesn't come loose. Might not be needed considering how much my impact gun had to hammer that bolt into the hole, but I want to be safe. Here's the pics of the driver side.

Unread 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #66
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
BHICKS - you need some rustoleum...and sand paper
Look at the 5th pic closer. The lower coil spring bump is shinny becasue I just finished sanding it and adding two coats of rustoleum on it. Both lower coil spring bumps had bad rust. I had to use the chisel first, then the heavy wire brush, then the sanding block, and finally the paint. Should stop the rust from getting anyworse. All the other red color is actually mud. Our dumb *** neighbor decided to truck like 50 loads of dirt up from down the mtn. and its like a red clay dirt. It doesn't allow the snow to seep into the soil so his property just turns into a giant red mud puddle every time we get snow and it melts. As the snow melted it just ran down the center of our dirt road. Now all of the cars on our street have this horrible redish color under and all over our cars. Only thing that will get it off the paint is a clay bar.
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #67
bhicks
2002 WJ 

I forgot to add something. If you dont have adjustable fronts and would need to put the hockey pucks dead center of the plate then my approach on the driver side would not work. What you would need to do is do the reverse of what I did. Instead of having the bolt go down through the plate on each side you would take the bolt and flip it up side down and weld the head to the center of the plate. Drill a hole in the center of each puck then slide them over the bolt. You would need to counterbore the bottom puck to fit over the bolt head and counterbore the top puck to seat the nut flush. I thought about this approach but realized it wasn't needed since I had to offcenter the pucks anyways. If you weld the bolt on then you would need a shorter bolt since it's not actually going through the plate. I will probably do the welded approach to the rear. I will weld the bolt to the top plate inside the coil spring then add the pucks around it. I will also take pics of that as well. I plan to get the rear end finished up this week.
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #68
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Wired my rigid industries back up duallys. Had them forever just couldn't decide where to install the switch. Finally just decided on the top portion of the trim panel above the steering wheel. Finished once it was dark so I can post pics tomorrow. Lights are awesome and plenty bright. I want more rigid industries.
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

woke up early and instsalled my T/C skid plate.
went out and bought 4 front lights and 2 rear lights for the roof rack. just have to figure out some way to mount them all

also met up with bhicks.
thanks for the hitch

sweet, so now i have a more on my to do list
jpthrils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #70
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Lol always a good thing when parts start pouring in, but it adds so much to do. Having 3 kids it takes careful planning.

So brad have you come up with more details on the big bear run such as time, are you gonna camp out?
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #71
bhicks
2002 WJ 

I wont be doing any camping in Big Bear. I already live up here in the San Berdu mtns. so it always seems a little strange to camp locally when I can just drive a few minutes and be in the comfort of my nice warm bed. I love to camp, but not when my bed is sooo close. I will probably be heading to Big Bear around 9. We could all meet at my place a little before 9 am and then head out from there. Figured we would be on the trail head around 9:45 and be done with gold mtn. around 11:30. We can then have lunch on the trail or head into Big Bear for a quick lunch. My next plan was more up in the air. I figured if there was enough interest then I would head over and do holcomb creek or something after lunch. If we were all tired or had things to do then maybe just head home. Kinda play it by ear. If any of you are all set on camping, I have no problem with you camping on my property. I have some flat spots up near the house and a couple nice spots out near the creek.
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #72
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

hey bhicks, if i can some how get out of my comitments is your offer to ride in your rig still available?
im gonna see what i can do to get out of it.
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #73
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthrils View Post
hey bhicks, if i can some how get out of my comitments is your offer to ride in your rig still available?
im gonna see what i can do to get out of it.
Absolutely. I will only have my son with me and he will be in the back seat in his carseat. My wife will be at work all day so shotgun is open.
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #74
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
Absolutely. I will only have my son with me and he will be in the back seat in his carseat. My wife will be at work all day so shotgun is open.
sweet
ill let you know as soon as i find out
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #75
Trevino
1999 WJ 

So who all is wanting or planning to go to this big bear run, besides bhicks and maybe jpthrills?

I wanna go, but not sure if ill be able to yet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.