SoCal 8.8 install party? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SoCal 8.8 install party?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 02-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SoCal 8.8 install party?

Hey guys, anyone want to help me put my 8.8 in? Right now I am looking at March 29 or 30. I will be gone most of that month so that is really the only weekend that works for me. Also I am having my 4.88 put in the next weekend and would like to have it (the 8.8) finished up by then. I don't have a 220 welder or really any fab skills but I know alot of you guys do. (hint hint JOE! is this a good weekend for you?) Anyway just throwing it out there. I would like to meet so SoCal guys. I am at Camp Pendleton by the way.

Black Jeep Club Member #1369
Low Output Jeep Club Member #1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmjeep
you probably would have been better off taking up another hobby, like heroin.
CJ Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hi Rob,

I'm still in Hawaii for a few more days and I don't know what my upcoming work schedule is yet. I should know more by Thursday or Friday of next week since I'll be home by then.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

bump for the install

Quote:
Unread 03-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I gust got out of the field. Anyone up for this?

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Probably too late - but if you were to come down to Rancho San Diego tomorrow morning to "meet some of the crew" we could discuss your install face to face. Much easier that way.

There's a BIG offroad meeting going on at the Cuyamaca College Student Center Saturday from 9:00am - ~11:00am.

Congressman Mr. Duncan Hunter will be there.
Unread 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow no action on this! I figured this would be something alot of people would want to be involved in. Joe, you still up for this? When is a good time for you? During the week is hard but might be doable. I am underway 9th through 15th then gone by the 1st of May. Let me know. I need to do gears too. Is this something we can do or do I need to outsource that?

Quote:
Unread 11-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am raising from the dead! Now that I am back (for a few months anyway) I really want to get this 8.8 installed. I know there are a lot of holidays comming up and want to take advantage of the time off to get this thing in. I need to get all of the brackets cut off and new ones welded up. I have new disks and pads for the 8.8 and the front to go on. I plan on doing this SUA so it shouldt be that hard. I just dont have a good welder or torch. I would like to have my 4.88's put in front and rear if anyone knows how to do that. If not i will have it done at a shop. The D35 has 4.10's and i will be letting that go if anyone is interested. When I get the gears changed out someone looking to upgrade to 4.10's could pick up the 35 and ring and pinion out of the 30. Hell if someone needs them and has the tools/knowledge I will trade parts for labor. Hit me back here or pm me if anyone is intrested.

Quote:
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Ipsteeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would be willing to help but i am in Fresno.
Unread 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipsteeler View Post
I would be willing to help but i am in Fresno.
Jump on a bus.

Rob, glad to here you're back. My plate is pretty full these days, but if I have time I'd be willing to lend a hand.

I plan on wheelin' from Nov 22nd thru Nov 30th, so those days are out.

I'll PM you my contact info so we can yap.
Unread 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I live 1200 feet from the San Diego County line, so I'm not really from San Diego. But, I'd like to join the party too.
I have an 8.8 on my garage floor.
I would just bring the rear end and not the Jeep. Don't need it installed yet, waiting for front gears to match, lift kit, SYE, CV driveshaft, etc...
But I would like to get the spring perches moved, etc... on mine as well, so it's ready to bolt in.
I'm pretty handy with tools, and would love to help with your 8.8 as well.
Modding party at who's house?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like we are getting something going here. I will have to give you a call this week sometime Joe. I am up for any help I can get. Murrieta is close by (Pendleton) so maybe we can meet and figure some travel plans if you decide to go RikRotorhead. I dont know if i will have to trailer the heep down there or not.

Quote:
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Rob View Post
Sounds like we are getting something going here. I will have to give you a call this week sometime Joe. I am up for any help I can get. Murrieta is close by (Pendleton) so maybe we can meet and figure some travel plans if you decide to go RikRotorhead. I dont know if i will have to trailer the heep down there or not.

It doesn't run?
I can throw your 8.8 into the back of my Avalanche next to mine if you can drive your Jeep down there.
Couple questions tho'...

What gears are in the 8.8? And what gears are in your D30?
You can't drive it witht the front drive shaft in if the gears are different. You'll trash your t-case. The drive shafts are always connected in the t-case and the front left wheel is always engaged.
That's why I'm not ready to install mine yet. I need to get a new carrier and gears for my D30.

I'll be out wheeling over Thanksgiving weekend, so those dates are bad for me. Anytime after that tho'.
RJC#512
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
CJ Rob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It runs just fine, I just don't know how long the whole process takes. I have 4.10's now and I think the 8.8 is 3.55 or 3.73 I would have to go count them. I want to install my Yukon 4.88's while we are at it. At least in the 8.8. I have no problem removing the front shaft if we cant so the front as well. I really need to get the rear set up so I can start on a new lift. I have too many plans for it right now (don't we all). I have weekends off so that is probably the best for me.

Quote:
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It can be driven with two different gear sets in the axles in 2wd. Just don't put it in 4wd. People have done it thousands upon thousands of times in their YJ's. Removing the front drive shaft is not required assuming the tcase is stock.
Unread 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
It can be driven with two different gear sets in the axles in 2wd. Just don't put it in 4wd. People have done it thousands upon thousands of times in their YJ's. Removing the front drive shaft is not required assuming the tcase is stock.

This is one of the issues I need to put to rest.
With all four wheels up off the ground on jack stands, I'm told that when you turn the front left wheel, the front drive shaft will turn, and so will the rear drive shaft, even when the t-case is in neutral.
If what I described is true, then flat towing my Jeep with an Aussie locker in the D30 is going to be a problem. It's why I haven't installed my Ausie yet.
So if that's the case, the front and rear ends are connected at all times, and different gear ratios would be bad because of the different spin rates of the drive shafts.
I need to know the exact answer to this dilema.
I will be putting my Jeep on stands today to air down all the tires to add Green Slime to them. At the same time I will check this theory and report back. I will try it with the t-case in all modes, transmission in gear and in neutral, PosiLok engaged and not.
This need's to be put to rest, 'cuz I'm hearing different stories from both sides.
Not saying you're wrong Joe, just saying I'm gunna' prove it to myself.
RJC#512

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.