Shaver Lake, Bald Mountain. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Shaver Lake, Bald Mountain.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Shaver Lake, Bald Mountain.

Hey All,
My family's annual camping trip is coming up and I'm trying to find an easy trail that my one brothers late 90's stock 4x4 suburban and my other bro's dodge mega cab 4x4 can run and not tear up. I was thinking Bald Mountain the easy way but having never wheeled that area I wanted to get a heads up. Good trail for those vehicles? Something better in the area? I've got an '89 Wrangler with a 3" lift and 31's. Also, any recommendations for an intermediate mountain biking trail around Shaver Lake area my 14 yr old son and could hit?

Thanks in advance,

Cherokid (need to change my screen name)

Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bald is easier if run from north to south. Access is from Tamarack Sno-Park on the north east side of Shaver. Tons of info online and videos on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/hMSeIN5SP5Q

Brewer Lake OHV is probably the easiest trail ride in the area with the exception of the optional last 1/4 mile or so of boulders. Beautiful spot to do some trout fishing. Most of the other nearby trails are more difficult.
http://www.4wdcfresno.net/index.php?...d=47&Itemid=62

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend going up to Bald Mountain with someone who knows the roads first. Some of the trails are really easy (I've seen a lifted Corvette Stingray by the lookout tower before), while some of the trails have been allowed to degrade to a point that a modestly built TJ can't get through without a high chance of rolling. If you stay on the right roads you'll have a blast. Certainly come in off the Tamarack Ridge side if you want a mild trip.

Brewer is a really tame trail so long as you stop on top of the hill. Once could also take the Dusy-Ersham as far as Voyager Rock campground (after that it gets nasty).

On the Bass Lake Ranger District (the Madera Co. side of the San Joaquin River) there are a few good mild trails like Star Lakes (aka Mt. Raymond) and Iron Lakes trails. There are also two very mild but scenic trails as well as several degraded mining/logging roads out of Clover Meadow (a great place to camp).
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokid View Post
Hey All,
My family's annual camping trip is coming up and I'm trying to find an easy trail that my one brothers late 90's stock 4x4 suburban and my other bro's dodge mega cab 4x4 can run and not tear up. I was thinking Bald Mountain the easy way but having never wheeled that area I wanted to get a heads up. Good trail for those vehicles? Something better in the area? I've got an '89 Wrangler with a 3" lift and 31's. Also, any recommendations for an intermediate mountain biking trail around Shaver Lake area my 14 yr old son and could hit?

Thanks in advance,

Cherokid (need to change my screen name)
what dates are you looking at? hav'nt been up there this season yet, but even tho this was a mild snow year, there can be snow drifts in places. it is close to 8k in elevation. maybe someone who has been up there in the last couple week can chime in. I don't believe any other 4x4 trails are open yet other than Bald.
as far as wheel'n. as was stated, the main road to the tower coming off Tamarack rd. is very doable with stock 4x4's.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Delayed response but...

Thanks for the responses. We came in from the south side and decided I wanted to drive the 324 miles home instead of getting towed so... hitting it form the Tamarack side we had a blast. Got some awesome photos of Shaver from there. Grt Ape... next year if we go up (probably) I'm going to plan a trip to Brewer Lake. Trout fishing sounds nice as I DIDN'T CATCH DIDDLY SQUAT at Shaver which made it particularly painful to watch some 8 year old punk pull a couple of good sized fish out right where I was fishing the morning before. (No one likes a smart aleck! ;-) Anyway thanks for the input!

Cherokid
dscf1650.jpg  
Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.