San Jose, CA - Anyone want a side job installing my transfercase? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > San Jose, CA - Anyone want a side job installing my transfercase?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
tkc
1996 ZJ 

San Jose, CA - Anyone want a side job installing my transfercase?

Hello everyone and thanks for looking. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this fixed for years now, so I'm looking to fellow jeepforum members for help. If you're short on cash, have some free time, and looking for a side job, hopefully we can work something out.

Vehicle: 1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4wd, V8, Automatic, Quadratrac.

Basically, I bought my Jeep ZJ a while back and it was missing the front drive shaft (or propeller shaft, as some call it). The only reason I figured someone took it out was because the transfer case went bad.

So I bought a transfer case to replace the one I have. It's the exact same model, direct swap.

My headache came in searching for a drive/propeller shaft. First, I bought one, only to find out it was too long.

Then, I bought another one that was a few inches shorter, only to find out that was still too long AND it had a busted cap on top, which I later found out was squirting gear lube out of.

So at this point, I'm frustrated and just want to pay for help to get my Jeep back to a 4wd.

I need someone to help me:
- Locate a working, good condition, correct length drive/propeller shaft.
- Remove old transfer case
- Prep and install replacement transfer case & driveshaft.

If you're interested, can you please send me an email or PM and we can go from there. Thank you so much!

Here's the old thread with pics of the parts: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...g-one-1143787/

tkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
fredr1980
1997 ZJ 

Not looking for a side job or anything but this is a fairly simple swap that you could probably do yourself in your driveway and save yourself some money... On ZJ's all you need is a 9/16 wrench to remove the 6 nuts holding the t-case to the transmission, a 5/16 wrench/socket to remove the bolts holding both drive shafts and a long flat-head screwdriver to pop the linkage from the transfercase... it's about an hour tops to do and the transfer-case isn't even that heavy. HTH .

Fred R.
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You can definitely do this yourself!
Call your Dad, or brother, or neighbor, or buddy. Buy some refreshment and pizza.

remove both drive shafts, save nuts/bolts in ziplock bags.
remove all linkage and electrical, vent connections to TC.
Support bell housing, Remove cross member
remove bolts to trans
put a floor jack under TC and pull it back to remove
replace with new TC

You CAN do this, and you'll be better off for it.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
gregq

Check out Southbay Driveline. They may be able to change the drive shaft length for you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.