JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/)
-   -   Sacramento or Nashville (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/sacramento-nashville-1150866/)

JeepSahara2001 01-08-2011 04:18 PM

Sacramento or Nashville

Hi guys,
My company is giving me the option of living in two places:
First is Nashville...I am from Eastern KY so this is not a big change for me or moving to Sacramento.

I have never been to Sacramento but it sounds nice. I am into offroading and Harleys. Anyone live in that area? Are there places to offroad? How about traffic. How about weather will I be able to ride my Harley most of the year?

My Jeep has stock emissions but I took out my airbag and replaced it with a custom wheel after the airbag went off. Will it pass inspection?

What do you guys think where should I go?

Mark

Mr.B 01-08-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepSahara2001 (Post 10751032)
Hi guys,
First is Nashville...I am from Eastern KY so this is not a big change for me or moving to Sacramento.

I have never been to Sacramento but it sounds nice. I am into offroading and Harleys. Anyone live in that area? Are there places to offroad? How about traffic. How about weather will I be able to ride my Harley most of the year?

My Jeep has stock emissions but I took out my airbag and replaced it with a custom wheel after the airbag went off. Will it pass inspection?

Mark

I don't know about the airbag, but what I do know: !. Some of the best offroad trails, including the Rubicon. 2. Nothing better than riding your bike along the coast highway.

timatoe 01-08-2011 11:53 PM

Fairly heavy commute traffic in Sac. but not like LA or the Bay Area and such. You can ride year round if you really want, very little snow in Sac. mostly rain in the winter. Don't know if you're into snow sports at all but Sac. is only an hour away from lots of nice ski areas and Reno if you're into gambling and what not.

connor0770 01-09-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.B (Post 10752810)
I don't know about the airbag, but what I do know: !. Some of the best offroad trails, including the Rubicon. 2. Nothing better than riding your bike along the coast highway.

X2, and if you like riding bikes, i would consider getting a dual sport because you can ride for days up in the Sierra Nevadas!

KOAKEN 01-10-2011 05:55 PM

Hi there. Hummm, if you want to wheel alot, California is the place to be. I spent all my life there. Some time in Sacramento. Weather wise the area in the summer is warm. Usually in the mid 80's and 90's. It can get hot,well over a 100 at times. The hottest I saw was 119 in 2006. Theres usually a coastal breeze that will filter in the valley in the summer.. The winters can be wet and very foggy and cold. It's known as the Tule Fogg. Days on end with little or not clearing. Usually less than a mile of visibility. About late Feb. it starts turning nice. About Nov-Feb is the ugly season. There are a tons of 4x4 clubs in Sacramento. I belong to the Capitol City Mt Goats. There a great club, but there's many more. Cal 4 Wheel puts on many events through out the state. Seirra Trek, and Winter Fun Fest are in the North District. You could wheel every week-end and not go on the same trail. You can fish, hunt,boat and wheel ,all within and hours drive. It has the Sacrament Kings and a minor league baseball team. You are about 90 minutes from the bay area. The down side is that Calif. is in a fiscal disorder and totally screwed up. Its very libral and tree hugger happy. But the valley is mostly conservitive. It can drive you nuts on election day. Have fun what ever you choose. Good luck.

plumber1 01-11-2011 09:57 AM

^^^^^^^^^ agreed totally

Sac. is only about 1-1/2 hrs from Lake Tahoe which is one of the most beautiful place in the west. Also about the same from Yosemite, but as stated above CA. has more lawyers than any other state and more stupid laws and don't forget taxes. Sales tax is pushing 10%, and the cost of living is some of the highest in the country, I don't know about the cost of living in Nashville (property taxes, state income tax, sales tax, etc)

And you will be giving up all of those cool little bars with the country singers in the front windows.

Wow I make it sound bad, and I have lived hear all my life, it is a great place to live and you would be not far from the sierra's, San Francisco (go Giants), Pacific Ocean, Monterey, Pebble Beach (if you Golf) Tahoe, Reno, Gold Country and a lot of cool places to bike and off road.

nhel 01-11-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepSahara2001 (Post 10751032)
Hi guys,

Mark

Wheeling and Riding would be great in Ca.... but seriously think about the state and it's political leanings. The
state is bankrupt....... and they just voted in Jerry Brown. Something to consider..No offense meant.....

JeepSahara2001 01-12-2011 07:04 PM

You guys are making it sound pretty good. Politics don't matter and will make 15% more to cover cost of living. Nashville has a 10% sales tax but no state income tax so that is something to consider. I think ether place will be fun but Cali is sounding nice.

Tim04willys 01-14-2011 11:16 PM

Sacramento is a really under-rated town I think, and very under the radar (we're not SF or LA afterall). And seems to have a bit of a problem ever getting anything done (city-wise). Lot's of cool projects that never happened and wasted potential, for a metro area of 2 million, it can feel like a small city.

That said, I really like it here.

Weather is great, all four (mild) seasons unlike other parts of CA. Warm/hot and dry in summer, nice fall, rainy coldish winter, and fantastic (short) spring.

Cool old neighborhoods in the central area, boring cookie-cutter 'burbs on the outskirts, downtown that they're trying to resurrect, midtown that is awesome and really happening.

Two major rivers that flow right through town with a parkway that runs along the river from downtown 20-something miles all the way to Folsom Lake. Like to fish?

The wheeling is awesome, just keep in mind (depending on what area you live in) there can be a pretty decent drive to get up into the hills. Central city is an hour before your getting near the good trails. BUT, there are tons of places to explore up in the foothills/mountains. I dont ride a motorcycle but it must be awesome in the foothills!

Skiing/boarding in the winter!

Politics DO suck.....bad. And it looks like the morons just voted it to get much worse, we will see I suppose. Hopefully, you're not looking for a State job. There are taxes and fees for everything you can imagine (and everything you cannot), and they just went UP after the new year :rolleyes:
Gun laws are completely retarded. I would guess that you're 15% higher pay would mostly cover the differences but not really if you take into account everything like real estate, fees, gas, all the little stuff....

Sacramento and the valley is a lot different than the Bay Area and Southern California. Much more conservative, laid back, nice people. We don't think we're super cool like they do in the Bay Area or So Cal if you know what I mean. Speaking of the people, plenty of retarded hot girls, summertime is silly.

That's my take. I plan on staying here for a long time or until they run the state into the ground completely and it starts really affecting our lifestyle. Until then, this is home!

There's a lot to look at but check these out for a good feel of the area:

http://www.zwahlenimages.com/gallery...to-sacramento/

http://www.zwahlenimages.com/gallery/cities_sacsexy/

http://www.zwahlenimages.com/gallery...-town-sactown/

tanstaafl 01-15-2011 12:49 AM

lived in Memphis for years, visited nashiville quite a bit, been living in el dorado hills (east of Sac) for about a year now... Frankly Nashville and Sac have a lot in common though i would say nashville is somewhat nicer a city in general than sac but there are a LOT more outdoor recreational activities in the sac area..tons of trails, I'm within an hour of the rubicon, skiing, hiking, camping and fishing.. San Fran is a couple hours away for the occasional visit, yosemite is about an hour south and tahoe an hour and a half east.

I'm actually enjoying it and basically was able to leave the top and doors off my jeep for 4-5 months with no problems at all (except when i had to put the top and doors on to park it at the airport).

Gun laws suck, taxes are high as hell (9-10% income tax, 8.75% sales tax vs no income tax in tn and same sales tax).

Real estate in SAC is in the crapper so prices are low, probably not far off what you would pay in Nashville and a bit higher than Memphis (nashville is much nicer than Memphis).

Even with all of that I can't say i regret moving out here.

i mean, last stay cation i went white water rafting, rock crawling, hiking, fishing and kayaking all within 2 hours of my house...can't beat that with a stick at all.

you have any questions let me know....

JeepSahara2001 01-15-2011 09:08 AM

Sacramento seems like the best choice...only real issue for me is:
1. I am in Kentucky now so it is a longer move.
2. Nashville has no income tax, but a 10% sales tax. But that is not that huge.

I kinda think because I am an outdoor person that would prefer to offroad or ride than hang out at a "honky tonk" that CA is the answer.

I am single and 30 years old how about the female situation? Are California girls better than Nashville?

timatoe 01-15-2011 12:34 PM

Don't know how the move thing is working out for you, but if you're having to pay for it call up ABF Freight. They've got a long distance moving plan where they bring a 28' semi trailer and drop it off, you fill it up, they move it. I've moved cross country several times between the military and private sector, by FAR the best way I've ever moved done it twice that way. The good thing was it came out cheaper to go that route and let them drive than even renting a U-Haul or other truck and that's before gas etc....

Anyhow, if you end up out here stay up on the NorCal thread, you're more than welcome to join us at anytime.

JeepSahara2001 01-22-2011 02:18 PM

Talked to my boss and he said I would be an idiot if I didn't go and that they would pay for everything and pay for new furniture at the new place. My company rocks. I am going to CA for sure. :D

timatoe 01-22-2011 11:45 PM

Let us know when you get out here and settled in and we'll take you wheelin'.

obxresq 01-28-2011 01:54 AM

Like Tim said, let us know when you get out here. We will introduce you to some good ol fashion seirra mountain trails.

The time now is 04:20 AM.