Rubicon trip - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Rubicon trip

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I will be in Tahoe August 16-25. May be able to talk the wife into running the trail either during that week, or the following weekend/early week. I have no other rigs to go with, so I dont want to run too far in. If anyone else is going to be there, and wont mind an extra rig with a wife and two little kids(1,2yr olds) I would love to tag along. Im running a currie 4" with a 1" BL and MML. I have the savvy under armor and gas tank skid. Running G2 D44s front and rear. 4.56 gears and Detroit locked front with ARB in the rear on 33" tires. Everything I have seen/read about the trail indicates it's a three day ordeal? Let me know if anyone is down for the trail and has some better info for me as far as how long it takes, camping, etc. thanks, powr
If there is not much traffic if/when you go, IMO you can do it in 2 days. Of course that is all relevant. Guys I have talked to say it is a bit harder going Tahoe to Loon, then of course you'd either have to go back the same way or drive back out to hyway 50 and back to Tahoe. Was there a couple weeks ago and went from Wentworth to Little sluice in under 2 hrs with no traffic in the way. If I'm not mistaken, that is about 1/4 or so of the trail, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! From what I understand, it's better to go mid-week to avoid a lot of the traffic too. I've heard of small groups making it through in a day mid-week, which is not stopping for the views. If we go, we would go in whichever side, and just take the highways back home, unless we went early the first week an started on the west side and drove into Tahoe. Still trying to figure my options. Thanks for the info.
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is anyone even possibly thinking about a trip through either side during those dates? My wife doesn't want the babies on the trail for two days, so I may have to go solo. I won't do that unless I can either plan to go with at least one other rig, or parasite myself into a group.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you go on the weekend, you will have a lot of company.

http://rubicontrail.org/rtf-cantina.htm

It will be a fun time, but you won't get too much wheeling in.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been up with a few buddies three times now. We start from the Tahoe side, drive in to the springs, then back out. It is a day trip. Last year I took the fam and made a mini vacation out it, staying in Tahoe. The first year I had open front and rear, needed to be winched in two places--ended up shredding spider gears (d35) and tore up my sway bar links--was able to limp it back to a buddy's place in Tahoe.

Anyway, I prolly wouldn't do the rubicon by myself anyway, I prefer to wheel in groups in case something goes wrong!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1
I've been up with a few buddies three times now. We start from the Tahoe side, drive in to the springs, then back out. It is a day trip. Last year I took the fam and made a mini vacation out it, staying in Tahoe. The first year I had open front and rear, needed to be winched in two places--ended up shredding spider gears (d35) and tore up my sway bar links--was able to limp it back to a buddy's place in Tahoe.

Anyway, I prolly wouldn't do the rubicon by myself anyway, I prefer to wheel in groups in case something goes wrong!
Thanks, that sounds like the way to go. Go in far enough to enjoy the trail and come back out. I can probably talk the wife into that a little easier than the whole trail.
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

From Tahoe side the hard spot will be Cadillac Hill. Its fairly steep, rocky, can be tippy. Looking at you Jeep specs ever thing looks great. 35"s would be better. but I see no issue. You are locked winch. sounds like you have experience. Have fun. That weekend you will be following people any way. Heck you could just pack it for a night and follow some one in go out through loon. That week end there will be people coming and going from both sides.

3 days we are off to Run the Dusy Ershim! New to me so the adventure is there, like back on the Rubicon in 1976.
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks. That's some very useful info. Thank you.
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
cj5darren
1980 CJ5 

Sign up for one of the Jamborees next year. Plenty of trail help, all food supplied and they WILL fix you if you break. Plus the trail is reserved. I've run the trail 30 times. All but two were Jamborees. The public weeks are chaos!
cj5darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5darren
Sign up for one of the Jamborees next year. Plenty of trail help, all food supplied and they WILL fix you if you break. Plus the trail is reserved. I've run the trail 30 times. All but two were Jamborees. The public weeks are chaos!
Will probably do that in a couple years. The speedo gear is mushrooming the speed sensor housing and the gear itself near the shaft. No one can tell me why it's doing that, and I don't want to risk driving it 500 miles, then on the trail and 500 miles home. I it completely fails, the oil pickup could clog, and roast the TC. It's not chewing up the teeth on the gears at all, just the housing and the plastic part of the gear near the shaft. It's staying home this year, and we'll go up there again in a couple years(hopefully) and run the trail then.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's not in right... Mine did that after I did the sye... I'd bet what's happening is that it's riding on the gear, not next to it. It still turns the gear so you have speed, but it pushes it up into the sensor. Mine ended up seizing... Thank goodness it is plastic, I was able to break it free, adjust it, and it worked great.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #27
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's that the teeth aren't lining up or meshing?
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, lets see if I can explain what I'm thinking... Remove the sensor retainer and twist the sensor until the top is flush and it feels like the sensor gear is along side drive gear. I had mine situated where it must have been on top of the drive gear, it looked like the top was flush but once I twisted it, the sensor seated nicely. Hopefully that will work for you.

Unread 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Ok, lets see if I can explain what I'm thinking... Remove the sensor retainer and twist the sensor until the top is flush and it feels like the sensor gear is along side drive gear. I had mine situated where it must have been on top of the drive gear, it looked like the top was flush but once I twisted it, the sensor seated nicely. Hopefully that will work for you.
Thanks, I messed with it a bit yesterday, and It may have worked, but when I test drove and rechecked, it looked like there was some more wear on the gear and housing. Need to locate yet another gear and sensor housing to retry with. Thanks so much for the help, you're the first one to even have seen this issue before.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if the gear is too far gone already.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.