Rubicon trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Rubicon trip

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon trip

Don't know how I did it but I talked my wife into a trip to the Rubicon for labor day. I think ours because she thinks it's just a camping trip but I know different lol.

Anyways I was wondering if someone who's been there before could fill me in on anything I should know. Like where to camp, is there just the one trail or is there different routes a guy could take, am I gonna need to fab up rock sliders before this trip and anything else y'all could let me know..

Btw I've got a 2012 jks, 6 speed manual, falken wild peak 33s, chopped fenders and stubby bumper. 1 3/4" lift will be in by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a freaking long way to drive for a "camping" trip. You should find someone else to run it with. Although everyone in the whole region will be up there that weekend (except me). You will have a tough time just finding a "camping" spot.
Looking at your profile, I'm not sure you're quite set up for the Rubicon. Do you have lockers? If you're running stock tires, you will have a very tough time up there.
I don't mean to sound negative, but you should research it a little more.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not running stock tires anymore. It's sitting on 33" falken wild peaks now. You think an open diff rig could make it through the bypasses?
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09 View Post
I'm not running stock tires anymore. It's sitting on 33" falken wild peaks now. You think an open diff rig could make it through the bypasses?
Last year we ran 7 jeeps from AZ on the Con. 1 was a 4d 33"s 2 inch puck lift. no lockers. He made it with ALOT of stacking, about as much rock as they used in china to make the wall. He was winched once and slowed the group down ALOT. a lot of unneeded spotting too.

Todays Rubicon is nothing like it was. MUCH easier. BUT the areas made easier you would go around anyway. As did the 4d.

Even on a busy weekend. running alone? have winch? and all recovery gear? DO NOT forget you are A LONG way from home too. Unless you are bringing a trailer to tow the jeep if breaks. You will be depending on people to drag you out. then a tow truck from Loon or Tahoe to get you to a shop........

But of the trails in Cal I would put the con now under the Dusy now and Dusy by far under Fordyce. As Fordyce is one of the hardest in Cal.

Little sluice gone, Old big slice filled, Gate keeper blasted to rubble.

Still a great trail tough and the area is very nice. I lived in Tahoe once long ago.

This year in about 25 days we are running the Dusy, longer and far less people to deal with.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dang it doc you're crushing my hopes and dreams here! For a good cause though.. Maybe I'll just head to big bear this weekend and call it good till I'm a little more set up.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Dang it doc you're crushing my hopes and dreams here! For a good cause though.. Maybe I'll just head to big bear this weekend and call it good till I'm a little more set up.
No man I am not trying to bust your chops. I know it can be done. I do not know you so I can not say . Oh you have no trouble or no don't do it.

I used to run the Con back in the 70's with a STOCK cj2a. No lockers and 30"s. heck we did not air down back then as well. few had seatbelts or even roll bars.

The trouble with trails like the COn and the Dusy. we are not talking about a day trail that you run light and get back that night. Your jeep is packed with camping gear, water, food perhaps fuel(Dusy is over 30 miles Con is about 20). a Loaded Jeep is much harder to handle in hard crawling. It takes days of driving and people get tired then make mistakes in Judgment, fatigue. Going with no spotters on trails you do not know and unless you are experienced adds to the difficulty. First thing I tell anyone when on these type trails. DO NOT do anything you may regret. If in any doubt, get out look at it before you dive in and perhaps get stuck. Try not to use that right foot to finesse with power. It leads to things breaking.

Big gear is nice we were up there last month for two days. you can easy do two to three trails a day. Oh and Pizza is very expensive.

But man if this trail is on that bucket list and "you may never be this way again". I would do it even alone. Sometime in life you get one chance to do something, never let it by.

Oh and you might find people to run it with at loon or the spillway. Get there early that Loon lake camp ground is always full. You can camp right after that up hill section at the start of the spill way and before were gate keep was. few nice spots there to biv. Find some people to go the rest they way with.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice doc. I've been reading about the Rubicon since I was in diapers. Well looking at cool pictures in magazines since then anyways.. I've always wanted to run it, hell it's half the reason I bought a Jeep to begin with. My original plan was to hold off till next summer but it looks as if my time in California is coming to an end in December so this may just be my last chance without taking a 2000 mile trip to get to it.

I guess in the end I may just go up there and camp (if that's even an option?). Pack and plan for a wheeling trip but make the final decision when I actually get there and see this beast in person.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

On a totally off topic/high jacking my own thread.. Doc, you wouldn't by any chance be a member on the nodak outdoors forum would you? it seems like there was an active member on there with the same screen name from Arizona if I remember right
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Two things I'll throw in for my $.o2

Good trail driving skills and at least one locker. With those two you can do a lot of trials you wouldn't think you could. Of course, other mods are helpful, but if you can get a good locker installed, then I'd go for it. Sounds like you're already here in Ca.??? If so, then you have time to get that dialed in before Labor day. You have a D44 in that JK? If so, I'd invest in a good selectable locker. A winch and some good rockers would be nice, too, but start with a locker for that kind of trail.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Two things I'll throw in for my $.o2

Good trail driving skills and at least one locker. With those two you can do a lot of trials you wouldn't think you could. Of course, other mods are helpful, but if you can get a good locker installed, then I'd go for it. Sounds like you're already here in Ca.??? If so, then you have time to get that dialed in before Labor day. You have a D44 in that JK? If so, I'd invest in a good selectable locker. A winch and some good rockers would be nice, too, but start with a locker for that kind of trail.

WRM
Yeah I've been in California a few months. Stationed at camp Pendleton.

Unfortunately I've got the D30 up front, but might not be a bad idea fire me to look into at least locking the rear D44. I'm always cruising craigslist for a good deal on a winch, still haven't snagged one though. As for the rockers, my buddys bringing his welder over hopefully this weekend to get a set made.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
On a totally off topic/high jacking my own thread.. Doc, you wouldn't by any chance be a member on the nodak outdoors forum would you? it seems like there was an active member on there with the same screen name from Arizona if I remember right
No I am a member of the AZVJC an online AZ 4x4 club and a member of two local clubs that are the old school, meetings, dues and are NPO's. We run the Desert Splash in Parker every year. about 300 jeeps show up. We run the parker wounded warrior project hard core poker run every year50+ jeeps show up. To take 4-5 Vets on class 4-5( our trails go from 1-5( the 5's are like 10+ cal). trails provide room and board. Half the money goes to their fund the other half to winner of the run. Good times. My jeep wont make a 5 run its just not enough Jeep and these trails eat Jeeps for lunch. They are like what the little sluice used to be like but the rock is sharp and cuts everything up.

FORGOT this and it is something some may not know. You can not poop out there on the ground you have to take it with you, wag bags. and 5 gallon bucket works. The smell will set you straight in the morning if the coffee don't.

You can camp about anywhere on the Con. Just follow the rules about not camping near water, think it is like 100ft. pull off the trail, but stay within 20 feet or so close is better, set up camp. The con is beautiful place, First day you can make Buck island lake can take all day or half a day, depends on the tempo. Then most go to Rubicon springs day 2. Day three most head out, the only hard area is Cadillac hill once past that its on to Tahoe.

I have a thread on our trip there last summer 2012 Rubicon with the AZVJC. The white jeep is the " stocker" 33"s and 2" lift BB. no winch but he had us in front and behind to give the Rubi bump if needed.

All of us by passed the little sluice excepting one in the built TJ on 40"s stickies long armed beast. On a trailer too. He rolled in the sluice, well more a lean over. But now the big rocks are gone and they filled it with rubble rocks to make it easier for the many.
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I've been in California a few months. Stationed at camp Pendleton.

Unfortunately I've got the D30 up front, but might not be a bad idea fire me to look into at least locking the rear D44. I'm always cruising craigslist for a good deal on a winch, still haven't snagged one though. As for the rockers, my buddys bringing his welder over hopefully this weekend to get a set made.
Your D30 should be fine for meats up to 35's. I'd get a locker over a winch... especially for that trail. If you keep getting jammed up b/c you do not have a locker and/or other reasons that make you need a winch more than once, then you're in need of an upgrade to run a trail of that caliber. It is no fun to keep getting stuck and having to use the winch... even once, if it is avoidable in the first place. Plus if it happens to be a busy weekend and you cause a long traffic jam; you won't exactly be the most popular kid on the block.

And I'm not saying a winch is not necessary, we should all have one... but it is more like a good insurance policy. You have it but you hope to never use it. You should also have a couple good straps in your list of trail gear. More often than not a good tug will get the job done in place of a winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't know how I did it but I talked my wife into a trip to the Rubicon for labor day. I think ours because she thinks it's just a camping trip but I know different lol.
Labor Day weekend is Cantina for the Con. Big fundraiser for the trail. If you're there that weekend, camping spots get filled up quick, and the party kind of goes all night.
Come check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I will be in Tahoe August 16-25. May be able to talk the wife into running the trail either during that week, or the following weekend/early week. I have no other rigs to go with, so I dont want to run too far in. If anyone else is going to be there, and wont mind an extra rig with a wife and two little kids(1,2yr olds) I would love to tag along. Im running a currie 4" with a 1" BL and MML. I have the savvy under armor and gas tank skid. Running G2 D44s front and rear. 4.56 gears and Detroit locked front with ARB in the rear on 33" tires. Everything I have seen/read about the trail indicates it's a three day ordeal? Let me know if anyone is down for the trail and has some better info for me as far as how long it takes, camping, etc. thanks, powr
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wish I could, but sadly I'm instructing a course then...
DuckRunner09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.