Rubicon Trail and the 4 door Rubicon JK....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Rubicon Trail and the 4 door Rubicon JK....?

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon Trail and the 4 door Rubicon JK....?

Searching for some definite answers from peeps that have been on the Rubicon.

Have met a bunch of other jeepers and am getting an earful of conflicting whatevers: NONE have a JK: but they're all divided as to **IF** I would make it and/or **How well thrashed** my Stock 4 door Rubicon would be by the end of the Rubicon trail....

So speak up if you've been-- especially if you've (now) got a JK and have been. Been told I need taller tires (than the stock 31.5's) and that the rubi rock sliders arn't up to the challenge~ saying I probably need some side armour. ALL claim I need some skid plates..........

So what gives? What's truth and what's fiction? i REALLY wanna go with these guys but dont wanna be the one getting hauled out!!!!!!

So is *Trail rated* just a slogan or something I can actually take to the trail this dang Jeep was named after????????????????

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I dont have a JK like your looking for but from my wheeling experience skid plates are not a bad idea. Anything can happen even on simple trails. But I have seen some stock rubis make it through some decent trails. I think you could do it but would be taking a greater risk than people with lifted modified vehicles
Unread 06-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any suggestions on where/which to start with? Gas tank skid? An 'actual'...real skid for the disco instead of the plastic crap?

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Id say oil pan and rockers are most critical. Post in the JK tech to get some priority suggestions from those guys
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I would definitely recommend some body armour. Other than that, I believe a stock JK 4 door Rubicon would motor right through the trail. (with the right driver) Do a search on here for pictures from the trail and you will see some of the obstacles you have to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
2000TJDude
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

I just went through this weekend in my 00 TJ. I have 4.5" of lift and 33's and never touched the rockers (but boy did I come close on several occasions. I did however smack the gas tank skid plate several times. I would think with your wheelbase and tires you will definatly smack a rocker in a few spots. It was my first time on the trail and I found that the real key is the correct line and most important TAKE YOUR TIME. If you go as slow as possible (which for me was even using the brakes while in 1st gear in Low range) and you will minimize the possible damage on the trail. I made it though in 2 days (overnight at Buck Island) and never used the winch. You will absolutely use both lockers, without mine I would have never made it without winching.
Unread 06-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
XJohnnyC

A couple of years ago, a buddy of mine was invited by DC to be a trail guide for a Rubicon run for the media. He got to drive a brand new 4-door JK. He said it did quite well. But then again, since it wasn't his Jeep, he didn't care about body damage.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanx folks. I **think** I've decided on a plan of action. Methinks I'm gonna do a Budget boost to start: just cant do all lift, armor, skids and tires at once. If I scrape.... I scrape.

Unread 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Scottfloors
Lets All Go Hunting!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I went through a few weeks ago I have a 4" lift and I'm still on 31's I scraped a few locations and hammered a lot of my under body armor. The big kids go through so fast they push a lot of rocks around. You should be OK for the loop between Wentworth and Loon lake. i found most of my slamming was between the Y and little sluice
Unread 06-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
lj_wil
ekorb mi

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was up last weekend and didn't see any JK's at all.

Some pics
lj_wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys-- I think I'm going bigger than a budget boost...a little bigger. Talking with a guy from trailmaster on another forum: just might do thier 5" lift with springs all around...... we'll see.

Time's my biggest problem now: I REALLY want to go but dont know if I can get the lift & get it installed by the date the jeepers are going. Might just have to wait until later this summer (I hope not....)

Unread 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
ecvMatt
1966 CJ5 

You can go without all the lift and such, just take your time, have a trustworthy spotter and ignore the *******es behind you if you are having trouble. They run stock Jeeps through it all weekend long on the jambos, rarely with issue.
Unread 06-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #13
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the addtional input: looks like the (first) scheduled Rubicon trip might be a wash for me-- cant get one of the 4 days needed off of work

But the good/hopeful news... I ordered the Trailmaster 5" kit with the springs all around today

pics when it done

Unread 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
jclark50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I ran the trail last weekend. It was a blast. Personally if I had a stock JK, I wouldn't run it unless your willing to accept damage. I have 35s with a 6" lift and 1" body lift. I hit my gas tank/rear bumper a few times. I hit my rockers a few times as well. I agree with one of the posts above that you could easily run the trail from Loon Lake to the granite bowl and to the little sluice. It also depends on what time of year you go. The difference is night and day between running it now and running it with the Jamboree or after. They throw alot of rocks to fill the holes.
jclark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark50 View Post
The difference is night and day between running it now and running it with the Jamboree or after. They throw alot of rocks to fill the holes.

You mean it looks like Cal-Trans paved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.