roll call ORANGE COUNTY - Page 285 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > roll call ORANGE COUNTY

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #4261
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

OK sounds good I don't blame you I'll pm you my cell number of you part it out

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #4262
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much are you looking to get and pic please.
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #4263
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

will be selling as-is minus the foglights.. i'll be saving the foglights for the next jeep..
and i was hoping to get around 2500-ish.. but i'm open to offers..

Green Jeep Club Member # 32
EYPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #4264
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a k/n CAI for a tj pm me if anyone wants it. 140$
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #4265
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Input needed, I saw a wrangler with the inner fender or wheel well depending how you want to call it modified to have "air vents".

basically 2-3 sections were cut out and a metal mesh with sheet metal "frame" placed over the cut out segments to create air-vents. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of modification. I know hood vents are used a lot but I have never seen wheel well vents. Trying to decide if I want to do this mod since its simple for my YJ or if water/dirt getting in through the vents would be an issue?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #4266
RKCWLER
RKCWLER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you want this? It has no function. I don't think it will cool your engine off at all.

Eat, Sleep, Fish ><)))))))&bull;>
Unread 08-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #4267
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCWLER View Post
Why would you want this? It has no function. I don't think it will cool your engine off at all.

From what little I could dig up hood vents help but only in summer, the cheaper option is removing the gasket between the hood and cowl area. MOST people who do any vent mod seem to get a louvered hood. There are a couple current JK mods that replace the inner fender/wheel well with 3 aluminum plates and completely delete any "unnecessary" sections of the wheel well leaving completely open gaps....

From my own engineering standpoint it would reduce air pressure in the engine compartment which would in theory on its own reduce temperature since pressure and temperature are usually directly proportionate. It would also, in theory, allow for increased air flow since there would be less resistance caused by pressure build up. BUT on the flip side its already a large open area and I don't know how much it could or couldn't potentially benefit from those theorized results...and if the benfit, if any, would outweigh any danger from having wheel wells "open" where water and dirt could get kicked up into the engine bay...not that I care for a clean engine bay as long as it doesn't have a negative effect.

But theories are just theories so I am definitely looking for the feedback, this is just a break down of what I researched quickly and thought of before posting originally.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 08-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #4268
RKCWLER
RKCWLER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your theories sound legit, but I think the cons outweigh them. I'm sure the engineers who designed the jeep took those theories into consideration. The hood vent helps only to a certain point. At speed, some of that air rushing underneath will be diverted upwards only because heat rises. This will not cool off the engines as they were designed to operate at 210. If the engineers thought that hood vents would cool off the engine compartment, they would have incorporated vents into the original design. I think both kinds of vents are just a cool factor.

Unread 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #4269
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

wranglers are notorious for having really high under hood temps. lots of hot air stay in and is slow to come out. I have hood vents for the sole purpose of I don't burn my hands grabbing the hood prop anymore lol
Unread 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #4270
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Here's a guy who did his homework on it. Testing was for hood vents on a TJ, not fender vents on a YJ, but...
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #4271
RKCWLER
RKCWLER

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink
Here's a guy who did his homework on it. Testing was for hood vents on a TJ, not fender vents on a YJ, but...
Nice write up. The guy clearly knows how to bring it all together. The only problem is that most manufacturers of hood louvers place them right in the middle of the hood. It is easier to run two sets of louvers in one piece of metal and cut one large hole then it is to place two separate louvers. I will bookmark this for future reference. Thanks.

Unread 08-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #4272
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Or or ..... No hood lol
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #4273
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
That is the sort of test equipment I wish I had. Well I have yarn...but all the temperature and pressure sensors would make life much easier.

If I didn't have a custom paint job that prevents me from doing hood louvers I would probably go that route assuming the hot spots and low pressure spots on a YJ matched up to a TJ (which given their similarity I wouldn't be surprised if they came close).

What his research tells me though is that the problem isn't getting more air in but giving the air inside somewhere to exit by aiming vents around low pressure areas which would force the hot inner air outward.

So it has me wondering if increasing the inward flow of cool air could displace that hot air trapped around the sides/back of the engine or if it would just bypass it without effect.

My two highest-heat situations are when I'm in 4L slowly crawling trails in Joshua Tree for example and summer stop-n-go on the freeway where I'm going in and out of 1st/2nd constantly. Installing a Taurus E-Fan got the temp to stay at 210 or less on the freeway...haven't seen the trail yet with that upgrade but that is where I overheated severely in 85F weather after several hours of crawling.
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #4274
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hood vents won't prevent overheating at all. That boils down to flow of water , air, and psi. Make sure your cap is good, your tstat is good. Clean rad inside and out. What radiator do you have?
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #4275
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
Hood vents won't prevent overheating at all. That boils down to flow of water , air, and psi. Make sure your cap is good, your tstat is good. Clean rad inside and out. What radiator do you have?
stock TJ one. I haven't seen many issues since I put the Taurus fan in, it just takes 15 seconds or so once the fan kicks in for the temp to drop. Which I've just attributed to a build up of pressure from the sudden increase in air flow into the engine bay forcing all the heated air together at the back. This is inferred based on smaller scale heating issues we've dealt with in the machines we build at work.

But again, I wouldn't and won't ever do hood vents. I would do the wheel well vents IF there was a benefit to be had since they wouldn't be very visible since I have full fenders and flares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.