Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 750 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #11236
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

I don't mind concrete work unless its a big pad. **** that.
Yep, need to ad some more to my driveway, about 30' by 24', and a front porch 10' by 35'. Also need a lot of retaining wall work. The plan is to do a little bit every summer until its ll done. This little shack also needs a new kitchen and bathroom. It still has 1958 interior.

Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #11237
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Justin, didn't you also do drywall work at one time?
I started off as a builder doing concrete, drywall, framework, steel, insulation, all that good ****.

I didn't like it at all, so they stuck me in a dozer and realized I'm much better at that.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #11238
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot

Yep, need to ad some more to my driveway, about 30' by 24', and a front porch 10' by 35'. Also need a lot of retaining wall work. The plan is to do a little bit every summer until its ll done. This little shack also needs a new kitchen and bathroom. It still has 1958 interior.
Haha a retaining walls aren't bad either. Getting the mortar right is the hardest part. You could knock it out in a couple of weekends I'm sure.
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #11239
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you plan on reinforcing it with rebar? Or just laying down a big *** pavement slab?

EDIT: I'm thinking about removing the driveway at the house and redoing it with road asphalt, black tar stuff. They didn't make the driveway nearly wide enough... or long enough.

Still not enough power.
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #11240
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper

Do you plan on reinforcing it with rebar? Or just laying down a big *** pavement slab?

EDIT: I'm thinking about removing the driveway at the house and redoing it with road asphalt, black tar stuff. They didn't make the driveway nearly wide enough... or long enough.
He'd have to. A rebar net otherwise he'll get all kinds of cracks and ****
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #11241
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Last time I did any kind of construction work was with a bunch of idiots who were in the off road club I was in back in Arizona, we were doing a block wall for somebody out in the desert.

Sloppy *** work, slower than molasses, and weren't worth a damn. My guess was these guys were state construction workers, basically low quality bottom of the barrel construction workers.

Since then, I refuse to do any kind of construction work with anybody unless they were in the Seabees.

EDIT: It's either that or these dumb***es did work with a private construction company and never made it past apprentice, and had crappy trainers. Either way, these guys sucked.

Still not enough power.
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #11242
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
He'd have to. A rebar net otherwise he'll get all kinds of cracks and ****
I've seen a LOT of people just lay down a slab before. Always struck a special nerve inside, mostly because cracked driveways annoy me.

Still not enough power.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #11243
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Since then, I refuse to do any kind of construction work with anybody unless they were in the Seabees.
Haha good
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #11244
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Adding concrete would be cheaper then redoing it in asphalt. I had a guy stop by here and give me a quote for a asphalt drive way once. The dude was off his rocker. Last time I had the concrete guy out here he poured a 24' x 20' section of driveway, and a 14' x 30' patio foundation with footings for $2,000.00 I didn't use any rebar, or wire mesh because the ground up here is as hard as concrete. Oh, and that $2,000 included grading, and trenching for the patio footings.

My retaining wall will probably be center block with rebar, large footings. I'm hiring that out. It would take me forever to do that and I don't know squat about laying block.

My brothers, me, and my neighbor did the concrete work for my addition. We dug massive footings and used rebar on that because it was close to the edge of a hill. The only thing I hired out on the addition was the roof and insulation. Had one buddy tape the drywall, and another buddy who's an electrician run the electrical. My brothers and I did the framing, siding, windows, doors, and hung the drywall.

Calling it a night.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #11245
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Concrete is likely to crack no matter what you do. The trick is to put joints in it before it dries, or saw cut it after its dried some. This way it'll crack where you want it.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #11246
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Haha good
Not even kidding! lol.

It's mostly because everybody seems to have their own ways of doing it. If I'm working with another Seabee, they got taught the same way I did, went to the exact same school I went too, and even slept in the same barracks that I did. No bull****, same style and method of doing it. No need to get along or anything like that, just build until it's done.

Quote:
Adding concrete would be cheaper then redoing it in asphalt. I had a guy stop by here and give me a quote for a asphalt drive way once. The dude was off his rocker. Last time I had the concrete guy out here he poured a 24' x 20' section of driveway, and a 14' x 30' patio foundation with footings for $2,000.00 I didn't use any rebar, or wire mesh because the ground up here is as hard as concrete. Oh, and that $2,000 included grading, and trenching for the patio footings.

My retaining wall will probably be center block with rebar, large footings. I'm hiring that out. It would take me forever to do that and I don't know squat about laying block.

My brothers, me, and my neighbor did the concrete work for my addition. We dug massive footings and used rebar on that because it was close to the edge of a hill. The only thing I hired out on the addition was the roof and insulation. Had one buddy tape the drywall, and another buddy who's an electrician run the electrical. My brothers and I did the framing, siding, windows, doors, and hung the drywall.

Calling it a night.
Quote:
Concrete is likely to crack no matter what you do. The trick is to put joints in it before it dries, or saw cut it after its dried some. This way it'll crack where you want it.
I prefer the asphalt over the concrete for some reason, I don't know why. Aesthetically more pleasing to me I guess... but hell yeah it's more expensive!

That's that thing as well, I've seen people do their **** without joints at all.

Refer to my avatar.

Still not enough power.
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #11247
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why is this a Los Angeles thread and all of you guys live way out in a desolate mountain village?
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #11248
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
Why is this a Los Angeles thread and all of you guys live way out in a desolate mountain village?
When SunDevil started this thread he lived in Los Angeles.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #11249
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
Psh. It's not desolate.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #11250
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you can hear a the timing chain slap the cover on a yota pickup, can you drive it up and back to a campsite in wrightwood?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.