Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 744 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #11146
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

does northridge 4x4 do work? or just sell parts?

So i just charged my ac system, had zero pressure... If i remember correctly it worked just fine up until I brought my Jeep into the usual shop to either have some work done or a simple oil change, I'm beginning to wonder if they let all the pressure out to try and create more work? This was last summer and I just dealt with the heat. We'll just have to see if it keeps this freon.

This same shop did a basic oil change the day before our last LCC trip, and i walked out to a giant puddle of oil coming from the oil pan, i tightened up the bolts a tad and it hasn't leaked since. wtf.

I would like to think that they wouldn't do stuff like that, they service all of the work vehicles here (probably 30 vans), i wouldn't think they'd **** around with an employees vehicle and risk losing this work.

NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #11147
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
does northridge 4x4 do work? or just sell parts?

So i just charged my ac system, had zero pressure... If i remember correctly it worked just fine up until I brought my Jeep into the usual shop to either have some work done or a simple oil change, I'm beginning to wonder if they let all the pressure out to try and create more work? This was last summer and I just dealt with the heat. We'll just have to see if it keeps this freon.

This same shop did a basic oil change the day before our last LCC trip, and i walked out to a giant puddle of oil coming from the oil pan, i tightened up the bolts a tad and it hasn't leaked since. wtf.

I would like to think that they wouldn't do stuff like that, they service all of the work vehicles here (probably 30 vans), i wouldn't think they'd **** around with an employees vehicle and risk losing this work.
moral of the story: do your own oil changes...
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #11148
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've said before, the only time I've taken it there is when I don't have time to do that stuff.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #11149
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've known Shops that do that type of stuff. When I had my tow trucks shady shops would always offer me a kick back if I brought them my customers. No thanks I'm not into that crap, I'd let the customers make their own decisions. We have a local shop that I think is taking advantage of the elderly people in our community. I spotted a coolant leak on my moms car and told her to take it down to the local shop. I pointed out which hose was leaking to her, she pointed it out to the repair shop. They replaced every hose, plastic valve, etc except for the one that was actually leaking. She brings it home and coolant was still leaking out of the same hose. I was pissed, she spent over $400.00 for something I could've done for under $30.00 if I would've had the time. My 65 yr old neighbor just went down to the same shop because his A/C was needing a recharge. Without even opening the system up they told him the pump was bad, and everything needed to be replaced because the system was full of metal, at a price of over $800.00. He took it down the hill to his buddy's shop in Corona and all it needed was a recharge for less then $100.00.

On a side note I'm really digging the look of the hood on that new 10th Anniversary Rubicon. Check it out http://www.jeep.com/en/wrangler-rubi...n&color=silver
Hotshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #11150
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Which shop around here does it? There was a shop that tightened the oil pan drain plug so tight I needed an impact to take it out.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #11151
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot
I've known Shops that do that type of stuff. When I had my tow trucks shady shops would always offer me a kick back if I brought them my customers. No thanks I'm not into that crap, I'd let the customers make their own decisions. We have a local shop that I think is taking advantage of the elderly people in our community. I spotted a coolant leak on my moms car and told her to take it down to the local shop. I pointed out which hose was leaking to her, she pointed it out to the repair shop. They replaced every hose, plastic valve, etc except for the one that was actually leaking. She brings it home and coolant was still leaking out of the same hose. I was pissed, she spent over $400.00 for something I could've done for under $30.00 if I would've had the time. My 65 yr old neighbor just went down to the same shop because his A/C was needing a recharge. Without even opening the system up they told him the pump was bad, and everything needed to be replaced because the system was full of metal, at a price of over $800.00. He took it down the hill to his buddy's shop in Corona and all it needed was a recharge for less then $100.00.

On a side note I'm really digging the look of the hood on that new 10th Anniversary Rubicon. Check it out http://www.jeep.com/en/wrangler-rubi...n&color=silver
That's insane. Can't stand that crap. I repair medical equipment for a living and I try to be as honest and fair as possible, and it bugs me when people think I'm trying to rip them off.. Ive got better **** to do then waste time trying to convince people to give me more money than they should.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #11152
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Which shop around here does it? There was a shop that tightened the oil pan drain plug so tight I needed an impact to take it out.
sent you a PM
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #11153
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
probably because the put it in there with an impact, makes em feel like a pit crew
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #11154
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
probably because the put it in there with an impact, makes em feel like a pit crew
Yep they put it in there extra tight and a little sideways so he'd have to come back to them for his next oil change to.
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #11155
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
I've said before, the only time I've taken it there is when I don't have time to do that stuff.
it's ok man if you don't know how to change your oil.....well i'll let you read the rest.....

clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #11156
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

slowly making progress on the Willys. Got the adapter plate, flywheel, and starter bolted on bolted on after work last night. (took the photo before I bolted on the starter). This is all still pretty easy stuff. I'm sure getting the new engine in, attached and aligned will be a bit tricky, but so far all of this stuff has been surprisingly easy.

Next I'm going to cut off the factory motor mounts, and start working on replacing the master cylinder with a dual MC and putting the disc brakes on. Then get the fuel cell mounted. By time I get all that done, the bell housing should arrive. Then I'll take out the transmission and transfer case, clean them up and replace the gaskets.

Unread 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #11157
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Curios to see what your brake upgrade will consist of. I wonder if you could add a hydraulic booster driven off a power steering pump. That might be tricky with where your MC mounts up but it would be a sweet upgrade.
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #11158
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nah, I'm not going to get into brake boost or steering pump, I'll keep it manual
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #11159
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

started making the adapter plate for the turbo. The exhaust manifold bolt holes are farther apart than the bolt holes on the turbo exhaust inlet. So... I picked up a HUGE washer from McMaster-Carr (a shopping mall for men! haha :smokin: ) which gives me a head start with the large hole already drilled in the center. My drill press is old and tired, it's chuck is wobbly, and it spins way to fast for metal even on the slowest belt setting. But I make it work, for now. It was my father's, it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me

These are the counter sunk holes for the allen head bolts that will mount the adapter to the exhaust manifold. Once I get the engine into the engine bay, I'll place the turbo on top and figure out where i need to drill the holes to mount the turbo. I'll drill those holes, tap them, and insert studs. There's not enough room underneath to have a bolt head or a nut, so they will have to be studs. It makes sense in my head, I think it will work :laughing: The washer is 4" OD, 1.25" ID, and 1/2" thick, about $7 from McMaster if I remember correctly.

I'll still need to file out the hole a bit larger to fit the turbo exhaust inlet size, but at least the center hole gives me a head start, I don't have a bit near large enough to drill a hole that size in steel.

Unread 05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #11160
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I may have a bit for the center hole if you end up needing one? My Grandpa was a machinist and when he passed on my Grandma gave my brothers and I most of his tools, plus another retired machinist left us a bunch of his tools when he moved out of the country. Have lots of different bits.

I have a cheapo HF drill press, the chuck slips out of the shaft all the time. I've been thinking about tack welding the chuck to the shaft.

Nice job Daniel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.