Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 740 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #11086
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hehe, yesterday as I was driving to work in the TJ I thought the steering felt a little squishy. But I brushed it off, since I just started driving the TJ again, figured maybe I was still used to the Willys and forgot what the TJ felt like.

Well on the way home the track bar let loose and I went into massive death wobble, HAH! It was pretty gnarly to see the tire dancing all over the place! Pulled over to the side of the road and called AAA. I walked back about 1/8 of a mile and found the thick nut plate (thank goodness!) because I heard something fall off just as the DW started. As soon as it happened, I figured the track bar either let loose, or the bracket cracked or something. I couldn't find the bolt though, so I'm assuming the bolt has been missing since the morning, and friction with dumb luck was just holding the track bar into the axle bracket.

In any case, i got it home, and just my luck, I didn't have any 1/2 x20 bolts that were long enough. BUT I realized that my old anti-rock links were 1/2 x20, so I cut one of them down and threaded that through the track bar and into the nut plate. I couldn't torque it down (no head to the bolt) but at least the track bar would be more or less in place. I was able to limp to the hardware store to get the correct bolt.

Moral of the story I guess... 3 things to take home.

#1 check all the bolts on the underside every now and then! I used to do that fairly often, but I guess I've not done it as often as I should have.

#2 this is why I always save any old hardware (bolts, nuts) that come off either my vehicle or other peoples vehicles. More than once now I've been glad I've saved some old bolt or something.

#3 if something feels or sounds odd, at least take a look! If I were to have popped my head under the front of the jeep as soon as I got to work, I bet I would have noticed right away that the track bar bolt was missing. And could have walked to a hardware store on my lunch hour.

I put threadlocker (blue) on the threads this time. And picked up a spare bolt, since my track bar bolt is larger than stock, if I ever need one on the trail, a stock replacement that someone else may have won't work. Maybe I should make a spare nut plate too. And I'll be checking the underside bolts this weekend

Glad I wasn't on the freeway at speed when it let loose!

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #11087
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
I put threadlocker (blue) on the threads this time. And picked up a spare bolt, since my track bar bolt is larger than stock, if I ever need one on the trail, a stock replacement won't work. Maybe I should make a spare nut plate too.

I'm glad too.

Definitely make and carry those. They take up the size if a baseball maybe? Better to be with them than without them.

I'm glad I don't need track bars.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #11088
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

At the risk of bringing an entire hardware store with me offroading, what are some other bolts that might be good to bring along with my tool kit? A hand full of nuts and bolts isn't going to be a problem. I think all my control arms use two sizes of nuts/bolts, so I could just bring one of each. Maybe spare transfer case skid bolts? I've found several of them loose in the passed. I could carry a shock bolt and nut. I've never had one of them come loose on me, but I do hit the rear lower mounts alot. I've never had a beadlock bolt come more than 1/2 a turn loose, but I could throw in a few beadlock bolts (I have spares, just don't carry them with me). And maybe a few lugnut bolts.

I've been thinking about picking up a spare pitman arm (mine is stock) and a puller. I already have all 4 spare axle shafts (fronts are fully assembled including ujoints). I've been hitting my front driveshaft alot in the passed few trips, maybe I should pick up a spare front shaft, mine's stock, I could probably find another stock take-off shaft for cheap. And carry some spare straps and bolts and nuts for it too. It wouldn't need to be balanced, I have lockout hubs up front, so I unlock them for return trips. Heck, maybe I should just take some thick wall tubing and beef up the front shaft

I really should pick up some longer brake lines, and maybe some spare lines too. I still have the stock brake lines, with 4" of lift and 1" of body lift, HAH! I just unbolted the hard line mount and let it flex.... that's probably a little to redneck, I should lengthen the soft lines.

(edit) naah, the nut plate is pretty small, about the size of one of the small altoids boxes.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #11089
SkylarM
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's ironic considering just last weekend we had extensive conversations about death wobble and the track bars...
SkylarM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #11090
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yea, funny eh? haha!

I've still got a little bit of steering wheel shimmy at 45, I'm gonna tighten everything down, and check the lock-out hubs, maybe one of them is loose again.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #11091
SkylarM
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think that group for Memorial weekend will be switching to Calico because of the fires... So I'll see you there Gary? Chris? Greg?
SkylarM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #11092
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your one lucky dude Daniel. Who knows what would've happened on the freeway. I carry extra hardware in the bottom of my tool bag. I'm pretty good at rigging stuff in an emergency also. I've been thinking about picking up a cheap 110 wire feed welder and keeping it on the toy hauler. Would be handy to have on a weekend trip.

Sounds good Skylar. We may be camping inside the park but I'm sure we'll see you on the trail.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #11093
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Sounds to me a bad case of high speed knock. Till they are sure it isn't try to keep your foot out of it. High speed knock destroys an engine in a heck of a hurry. Some kind of intercooler will help. They might stick a thicker headgasket in to reduce compression/ knock
I thought I'd give a bit of an update:

My mechanic retested the compression & leak down, and found no problems at all.

The pinging & knocking was solved by getting rid of a bad tank of gas and getting some better octane in there.

So now I'm working with the guys @ Banks to get the tune adjusted, as I still have a small problem when the Jeep gets hot. Those guys have been awesome so far, and I am quite happy with their response.
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #11094
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, you'll probably have to run 91!
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #11095
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Yea, you'll probably have to run 91!
Yeah - I got tired of driving around in circles trying to burn off the full tank of 87 I had, so once I was down to half I put in 10 gallons of 100 octane to get it at or above 91...
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #11096
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
hehe, yesterday as I was driving to work in the TJ I thought the steering felt a little squishy. But I brushed it off, since I just started driving the TJ again, figured maybe I was still used to the Willys and forgot what the TJ felt like.

Well on the way home the track bar let loose and I went into massive death wobble, HAH! It was pretty gnarly to see the tire dancing all over the place! Pulled over to the side of the road and called AAA. I walked back about 1/8 of a mile and found the thick nut plate (thank goodness!) because I heard something fall off just as the DW started. As soon as it happened, I figured the track bar either let loose, or the bracket cracked or something. I couldn't find the bolt though, so I'm assuming the bolt has been missing since the morning, and friction with dumb luck was just holding the track bar into the axle bracket.

In any case, i got it home, and just my luck, I didn't have any 1/2 x20 bolts that were long enough. BUT I realized that my old anti-rock links were 1/2 x20, so I cut one of them down and threaded that through the track bar and into the nut plate. I couldn't torque it down (no head to the bolt) but at least the track bar would be more or less in place. I was able to limp to the hardware store to get the correct bolt.

Moral of the story I guess... 3 things to take home.

#1 check all the bolts on the underside every now and then! I used to do that fairly often, but I guess I've not done it as often as I should have.

#2 this is why I always save any old hardware (bolts, nuts) that come off either my vehicle or other peoples vehicles. More than once now I've been glad I've saved some old bolt or something.

#3 if something feels or sounds odd, at least take a look! If I were to have popped my head under the front of the jeep as soon as I got to work, I bet I would have noticed right away that the track bar bolt was missing. And could have walked to a hardware store on my lunch hour.

I put threadlocker (blue) on the threads this time. And picked up a spare bolt, since my track bar bolt is larger than stock, if I ever need one on the trail, a stock replacement that someone else may have won't work. Maybe I should make a spare nut plate too. And I'll be checking the underside bolts this weekend

Loctite is your friend, use it

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #11097
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Yeah - I got tired of driving around in circles trying to burn off the full tank of 87 I had, so once I was down to half I put in 10 gallons of 100 octane to get it at or above 91...
Moral of the story power costs money

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #11098
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Should've just used an octane booster
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #11099
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Moral of the story power costs money
Seriously!!!

I was bit by the power/speed bug many years ago - my dad had me riding my own atv when I was 4 or 5. Then when I got to my early teens I was already planning what car I wanted when I turned 16, so I started washing cars in the neighborhood to save up for it, litterally years in advance.

Funny thing is - that first car was also my first Jeep - CJ7. Not very fast, but lots of fun. Then I got into sports cars, and it's been an expensive addiction ever since.

Now I've got full-circle, trying to make my Jeep go faster (at least a little faster).
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #11100
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Should've just used an octane booster
Tried that first - with a bottle of Lucas Oil Octane Booster. The results were really inconsistent, almost like it didn't mix evenly with the fuel, even though I bounced the Jeep around as much as possible to "shake it up".

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.