Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 736 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #11026
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
It was an existing problem. They did a leak down test before the installation and found a 60% loss on cylinder #4. I'm hoping its just a head gasket, and not something worse. If only got 30k on the clock, so can't imagine it being something else.

I told them to go ahead with the turbo install, and I'd get it taken care of as soon as I got the Jeep back. Got it back Friday night, and don't have time to do it myself, so I'm taking it in tomorrow to a local mechanic.
If it puked coolant while they did that it's a head gasket, now has the check engine light been on? That much leakage should cause a misfire that the obd 2 system will detect. that or the messed up on their test. 60% leakage puts you in the area of major engine problems

Unread 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #11027
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345

If it puked coolant while they did that it's a head gasket, now has the check engine light been on? That much leakage should cause a misfire that the obd 2 system will detect. that or the messed up on their test. 60% leakage puts you in the area of major engine problems
No coolant leakage, no check engine light, runs good, etc... They thought the same thing, but they did the test 4 times. Same results each time on cylinder #4.

The mechanic will recheck it to be sure.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #11028
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No coolant leakage, no check engine light, runs good, etc... They thought the same thing, but they did the test 4 times. Same results each time on cylinder #4.

The mechanic will recheck it to be sure.
What did they come up with for compression when they checked that?
Also a running compression check at idle and higher rpm can be quite revealing
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #11029
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound right to me either. If compression was down that much in one cylinder i wouldn't think it would run all that smooth.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #11030
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing.

Hopefully I'll get some answers to all of these questions in the next couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #11031
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just BBQ'd some ribeye steaks, man were they good. Marinated them in stubs steakhouse marinade, diluted with a can of Budweiser, a quarter bottle of Chris n pits hot BBQ sauce and about a cup of water. I let them marinate for 5 hours. Normally we don't marinate Ribeye Steaks but I'm glad we did this time. Sautéed some asparagus, baked some potatoes. The best BBQ'd steaks I've ever had. People in our family here who rarely ever finish their steak eat every last bite.

Instead of throwing the marinade out I took two tri tips and put them in the same container and back into the fridge to marinate for a coupe of days. Mid week well BBQ one and freeze the other.

You guys need to try this combination of marinade on your next steaks.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #11032
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, will have to try that sometime Gary!

Matt, TURBO! nice :-D without laying into it much, do you notice any difference? Is it sized so it builds boost at a lower RPM?

I just got the turbo for my little 2.2L diesel. It's cute looking, haha! I'll take a photo of it. Apparently it's sized correctly for a 2.2L diesel, we'll see!

Here it is, it's an IHI RHF4

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #11033
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
Nice, will have to try that sometime Gary!

Matt, TURBO! nice :-D without laying into it much, do you notice any difference? Is it sized so it builds boost at a lower RPM?

I just got the turbo for my little 2.2L diesel. It's cute looking, haha! I'll take a photo of it. Apparently it's sized correctly for a 2.2L diesel, we'll see!

Here it is, it's an IHI RHF4
Yeah - if I get into the boost at low RPM it pulls beautifully! With only 1/4 throttle at 1800 RPM is pulls hard like a small block V8. If I get into high RPM it's ugly right now, but I'm guessing that's related to my compression issue.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #11034
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah - if I get into the boost at low RPM it pulls beautifully! With only 1/4 throttle at 1800 RPM is pulls hard like a small block V8. If I get into high RPM it's ugly right now, but I'm guessing that's related to my compression issue.
Does it bog at higher rpm or start misfiring?If it just holds back, but goes again when you let up the gas it's just starving for fuel
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #11035
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How did they tune the thing? Did they put it on a dyno or anything? Were any fuel upgrades needed?
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #11036
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Does it bog at higher rpm or start misfiring?If it just holds back, but goes again when you let up the gas it's just starving for fuel
Not a misfire (no check engine lights), but it knocks pretty bad and retards the timing enough that the power cuts momentarily.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #11037
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
How did they tune the thing? Did they put it on a dyno or anything? Were any fuel upgrades needed?
They upgraded to larger injectors. They gave me the tune they used on the other 2 LJs they used to prototype the kit, but they couldn't dyno it yet because of the compression issue. They want the Jeep back when the compression problem is fixed so they can tinker with it.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #11038
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not a misfire (no check engine lights), but it knocks pretty bad and retards the timing enough that the power cuts momentarily.
Engine knock or high speed pinging? If the knock is there at idle and up good change a piston skirt broke
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #11039
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Matt, think we could get a picture in that engine bay?
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #11040
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Engine knock or high speed pinging? If the knock is there at idle and up good change a piston skirt broke
Knock, much louder than pinging. But nothing at idle. Only under boost at higher rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.