Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 503 - JeepForum.com

 2Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #7531 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 AM
MPond
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Kurt finished the cage on the Willys! I'll add a few brackets and things, paint it, and make a bikini top for it.

Very cool! What color are you going to paint it? To match?


2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7532 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 AM
LittleBluE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
Yea, that's what I was going to do, have Deaver make a set that has a higher number of thinner leafs, and rides about 1.5-2" taller. It would end up being more than twice the price of some off the shelf springs though. I talked with them a while back.

I'll drive the Willys around for a bit, before I decide on the springs though. Who knows, maybe the extra weight of the cage and the more comfortable suspension seats will be enough to make the ride smooth. I'd rather not put to much money into this, we'll see It's my daily driver though.
You won't regret deavers. I can promise you that.
LittleBluE is offline  
post #7533 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 AM
danielbuck
Registered User
1946 CJ2 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Very cool! What color are you going to paint it? To match?
yea, I'll probably just spray it the same green as the rest of the jeep. Black might look good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBluE View Post
You won't regret deavers. I can promise you that.
I've heard real good things about their springs. We'll see.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danielbuck is offline  
post #7534 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Happy birthday Poppa

He Gary your illegitimate son doesn't even wish you a happy birthday?
So here goes happy birthday Poppa, don't party to hard and keep your brother away from the tweeker ladies

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #7535 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
He Gary your illegitimate son doesn't even wish you a happy birthday?
So here goes happy birthday Poppa, don't party to hard and keep your brother away from the tweeker ladies
Yeah you know how these kids are today, me, me, me. ill just have to scratch him out of the will.
Hotshot is offline  
post #7536 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
He Gary your illegitimate son doesn't even wish you a happy birthday?
So here goes happy birthday Poppa, don't party to hard and keep your brother away from the tweeker ladies
I was getting there lol......Hey aw, not sure if you remember that clunk that I was trying to chase down but I think I found it......I believe it's my rear driveshaft.....it has a considerable amount of play (not in the ujoints but the output itself) in it and i think that everytie the clutch is engaged after being under a fair amount of torque the rear driveshaft kind of "wraps" itself....if that makes any sense.....I have a detroit in the rear, is this a typical thing or is there truly something wrong? any help would be appreciated.~Chris
clg82 is offline  
post #7537 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot

Yeah you know how these kids are today, me, me, me. ill just have to scratch him out of the will.
Thanks Art
Hotshot is offline  
post #7538 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I was getting there lol......Hey aw, not sure if you remember that clunk that I was trying to chase down but I think I found it......I believe it's my rear driveshaft.....it has a considerable amount of play (not in the ujoints but the output itself) in it and i think that everytie the clutch is engaged after being under a fair amount of torque the rear driveshaft kind of "wraps" itself....if that makes any sense.....I have a detroit in the rear, is this a typical thing or is there truly something wrong? any help would be appreciated.~Chris
There is play in the driveshaft it self? like on the slipyoke?
Or the play is in the rear end? Some play the rear end is normal

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #7539 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
There is play in the driveshaft it self? like on the slipyoke?
Or the play is in the rear end? Some play the rear end is normal
I'm the rear end. I am getting a clunk when the clutch is engaged and I believe it's coming from the rear driveshaft "wrapping" itself. I have a Detroit in the rear is this normal? I may pull the rear driveshaft tomorrow morning and see if the clunk goes away
clg82 is offline  
post #7540 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,482
Art, what do you think, about 1/4 to half inch turn is normal?
Hotshot is offline  
post #7541 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Art, what do you think, about 1/4 to half inch turn is normal?
That's excessive, with the wheels on the ground there shouldn't be a whole lot of slop in the driveshaft 1/8 of a turn would be a lot.

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #7542 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That's excessive, with the wheels on the ground there shouldn't be a whole lot of slop in the driveshaft 1/8 of a turn would be a lot.
Talked to Blaine on the phone and he said what I'm describing is possibly a throw out bearing? Going to start by pulling each driveshaft one by one and see if I can pinpoint it tomorrow. Will report back. When I remove the rear driveshaft will I lose any fluid?
clg82 is offline  
post #7543 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82

Talked to Blaine on the phone and he said what I'm describing is possibly a throw out bearing? Going to start by pulling each driveshaft one by one and see if I can pinpoint it tomorrow. Will report back. When I remove the rear driveshaft will I lose any fluid?
You still have a slip yoke. I'd say just disconnect it from the rear end and see how much slop you have on the rear end yoke. Turn it by hand.
Hotshot is offline  
post #7544 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Talked to Blaine on the phone and he said what I'm describing is possibly a throw out bearing? Going to start by pulling each driveshaft one by one and see if I can pinpoint it tomorrow. Will report back. When I remove the rear driveshaft will I lose any fluid?
Throwout bearing would screech or squeel and it would go away when you step on the clutch, unless it's totally trashed. It still wouldn't clunk

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #7545 of 30308 Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post

Throwout bearing would screech or squeel and it would go away when you step on the clutch, unless it's totally trashed. It still wouldn't clunk
Hmm I'm perplexed now lol. I'll start by removing driveshafts and let you know. ~chris
clg82 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
roll call ORANGE COUNTY shortbussrydah California Jeep Forum 4590 12-29-2015 09:44 PM
Roll Call Ventura County blue52 California Jeep Forum 41 05-05-2013 02:02 PM
Roll cage fabricator in Orange County, Ca.? Stinkbug California Jeep Forum 6 11-30-2010 12:11 AM
Roll Call: Who's Going to Big Bear Over the 4th? roadking California Jeep Forum 12 07-07-2010 10:04 AM
Nor Cal Roll Call rugbygode2 California Jeep Forum 54 11-26-2008 12:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome