Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 1126 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #16876
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
if i win, i'm buying everybody new tom woods driveshafts. got the dreaded angry sparrows this morning, pulled the front driveshaft and quickly found out it was the rear shaft. got to work, ripped out the rear shaft and found the output shaft yoke nut completely loose, backed way off, able to turn by hand! been slowly slowly getting the driveshaft taken apart between work breaks, and found that all u joints, AND the centering ball (angry sparrows culprit) are greasable. that seems dumb to me, no way to grease that crap without popping out u joints. I've never greased them since install 2 years ago. hoping a good cleaning/greasing will fix the squeak rather than $100 worth of ujoints and centering ball garbage. Then i have to see why that yoke nut because lose, and figure out where the hell to get a new one (pretty sure they're not reusable, but not sure), and figure out how hell to get it torqued to 180ft lbs without an impact gun. yayyyy!
Get yourself a nice 200 ft lb torque wrench, a pipe that'll slide over it and a friend to help. Easy peasy.

Unread 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #16877
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

that's probably what i'll do. Couldn't believe it when i saw that damn thing completely lose. a little scary to say the least.
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #16878
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Skylar what did you do to keep the yoke/output shaft from spinning? Keep it in gear? Blocks of wood Wedged against the yoke?
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #16879
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
did you reuse the same nut? if not where did you get a new one? trying to find one locally tomorrow
Red loctite is your friend, will keep it from working loose. J E reel in Pomona can supply yokes, spicer U joints and centering ball. You grease the centering ball with a grease needle. Loosen the shaft from the rear yoke and you can get at the grease fitting for the centering ball
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #16880
Mr_Speakeasy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

Get yourself a nice 200 ft lb torque wrench, a pipe that'll slide over it and a friend to help. Easy peasy.
He cant buy friends though.
Mr_Speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #16881
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

200 ft lbs is nothing, try crushing the crush sleeve on the pinion of a 14 bolt axle, my big 1100 ft/lbs max torque impact wrench looked at it and quivered. Had to do it the hard way was sore for weeks after
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #16882
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

driveshaft is all back together. feels much better and makes no noise so far.. i'll work on getting that yoke nut torqued down tomorrow, then we'll see how it rides.

Art, how would you go about torquing the nut without an impact? If i put it in gear and let the engine/tranny hold the yoke still, will that damage anything internally when i'm cranking on it?
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #16883
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
driveshaft is all back together. feels much better and makes no noise so far.. i'll work on getting that yoke nut torqued down tomorrow, then we'll see how it rides. Art, how would you go about torquing the nut without an impact? If i put it in gear and let the engine/tranny hold the yoke still, will that damage anything internally when i'm cranking on it?
When I did my SYE I had to put the jeep in 4 low to keep the yoke from spinning.
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #16884
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
driveshaft is all back together. feels much better and makes no noise so far.. i'll work on getting that yoke nut torqued down tomorrow, then we'll see how it rides.

Art, how would you go about torquing the nut without an impact? If i put it in gear and let the engine/tranny hold the yoke still, will that damage anything internally when i'm cranking on it?
I went off a writeup online. I think Stu Olsens site... Maybe 4x4xplor. One if the two, but it Said put in gear, which worked for me.

And zombie... I saw your street queen twin today.... I'll post a pic in a sec
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #16885
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Lowrange, first gear and chock the wheels ought to do it.
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #16886
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarM
I went off a writeup online. I think Stu Olsens site... Maybe 4x4xplor. One if the two, but it Said put in gear, which worked for me. And zombie... I saw your street queen twin today.... I'll post a pic in a sec
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/birth-zombiehunta-1612329/
zombiehunta666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #16887
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

img20131217_202918.jpg  
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #16888
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those tires sure went fast. Stuck them online this afternoon and the phone lit up. Lol. Sold all 5 for $400.00.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #16889
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarM
image-1280051521.jpg   image-1583227000.jpg   image-1673307761.jpg  
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #16890
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot
Those tires sure went fast. Stuck them online this afternoon and the phone lit up. Lol. Sold all 5 for $400.00. Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Your almost halfway to my Christmas present. Your getting close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.