Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 1088 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #16306
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
If u dont have to drive after: yes
Its very good taste like the hear and its really going easy down
From the looks of that sentence looks like it's already going down pretty smooth huh?

Unread 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #16307
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nonono: actually if theres no typos i had some: sorry i just cant type well...
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #16308
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82

From the looks of that sentence looks like it's already going down pretty smooth huh?
Hear means heat
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #16309
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
daniel did you upgrade your brakes when you went to 35s?
A bit, yea. Centric rotors and black magic pads on the front. It's not one of the spendy big brake upgrades, but it stops well enough. I've had to make a few emergency stops, and it does stop pretty good.

Just the other week, I was driving down a road probably going 50mph and just about to go through an intersection when a big firetruck pops out from behind the face of a building and blasts it's horn about to go through the intersection. I slammed the brakes real hard, I was quite surprised how quickly I came to a stop. I can't remember if any of the tires locked up, I don't have anti-lock brakes on my TJ, but it did stop pretty quick

If I had an automatic transmission, I might be more inclined to upgrade the brakes even more, for long down-hill roads and offroading where the brakes have to do more work than with a manual transmission and would be more prone to brake fade. With a manual transmission, I don't use my brakes really all that much while I'm offroad or coming down mountain roads. The engine does well enough to slow the vehicle down, or to keep it at speed. Especially offroad in 1st gear and 4:1.
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #16310
BandTogether
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need a drivers seat on 97 TJ

Hey Los Angeles,
Looking for a Drivers Seat for a 97 TJ. I'm in Santa Monica, let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!
BandTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #16311
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
A bit, yea. Centric rotors and black magic pads on the front. It's not one of the spendy big brake upgrades, but it stops well enough. I've had to make a few emergency stops, and it does stop pretty good.

Just the other week, I was driving down a road probably going 50mph and just about to go through an intersection when a big firetruck pops out from behind the face of a building and blasts it's horn about to go through the intersection. I slammed the brakes real hard, I was quite surprised how quickly I came to a stop. I can't remember if any of the tires locked up, I don't have anti-lock brakes on my TJ, but it did stop pretty quick

If I had an automatic transmission, I might be more inclined to upgrade the brakes even more, for long down-hill roads and offroading where the brakes have to do more work than with a manual transmission and would be more prone to brake fade. With a manual transmission, I don't use my brakes really all that much while I'm offroad or coming down mountain roads. The engine does well enough to slow the vehicle down, or to keep it at speed. Especially offroad in 1st gear and 4:1.
In your opinion, were the Centric rotors and Black Magic pads worth the cost of the upgrade?

Do you plan to do the rears to, or just the fronts?
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #16312
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
A bit, yea. Centric rotors and black magic pads on the front. It's not one of the spendy big brake upgrades, but it stops well enough. I've had to make a few emergency stops, and it does stop pretty good. Just the other week, I was driving down a road probably going 50mph and just about to go through an intersection when a big firetruck pops out from behind the face of a building and blasts it's horn about to go through the intersection. I slammed the brakes real hard, I was quite surprised how quickly I came to a stop. I can't remember if any of the tires locked up, I don't have anti-lock brakes on my TJ, but it did stop pretty quick If I had an automatic transmission, I might be more inclined to upgrade the brakes even more, for long down-hill roads and offroading where the brakes have to do more work than with a manual transmission and would be more prone to brake fade. With a manual transmission, I don't use my brakes really all that much while I'm offroad or coming down mountain roads. The engine does well enough to slow the vehicle down, or to keep it at speed. Especially offroad in 1st gear and 4:1.
That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing to my brakes, Upgrade the rotors and pads. I've noticed there's a few more brake pad and rotor option out there now that I didn't see a few years ago, gonna do some research on them.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #16313
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Matt, how's your brakes feeling since you went to 35's?

Unread 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #16314
Mr_Speakeasy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandTogether
Hey Los Angeles,
Looking for a Drivers Seat for a 97 TJ. I'm in Santa Monica, let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!
I have one, im sitting on it right now!

Its bolted into the jeep though.
Mr_Speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #16315
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
In your opinion, were the Centric rotors and Black Magic pads worth the cost of the upgrade?

Do you plan to do the rears to, or just the fronts?
I can't remember what it cost, but yea it seemed worth it. I actually had the new brakes on when I only had 32" tires, so I can't really say how much a difference it made for the 35" tires.
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #16316
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've done a little reading on brakes. All I see is you won't find a better setup than the black magic/centric rotors, without doing a big brake kit.

Think it's like $175 for the front rotors/pads
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #16317
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
I've done a little reading on brakes. All I see is you won't find a better setup than the black magic/centric rotors, without doing a big brake kit.

Think it's like $175 for the front rotors/pads
Yea, it seems to be a good combo.
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #16318
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think before I upgrade the front brakes, I'll be getting rid of the drum in my rear hehe. 35s and a locker real soon i hope
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #16319
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot
Matt, how's your brakes feeling since you went to 35's?

There's a small but noticeable increase in how hard I have to push the pedal, but it hasn't been a problem for me. My concern is Christy driving and having an emergency stop. She rarely drives it, but I may still upgrade them just for the peace-of-mind.
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #16320
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm not doing the big brake kit myself. Pads and rotors will be fine. I check my brakes often, and don't drive like a Ricky racer so I think that'll work just fine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.