Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY! - Page 1025 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Roll Call: LOS ANGELES COUNTY!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #15361
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
Whats your reasoning behind the jeep riding better with the spare in the tub? I have the bad wheel in the tub right now (laying flat) and sometimes I feel like its a little smoother on roads but I think its just me.. Can't see how it would change anything being just on the other side of the tailgate.
I would think it has to do with moving weight closer to the center of the vehicle. Dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #15362
zombiehunta666
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish
Maybe in the frame/driveline. Freakin body tub is made of paper mâché. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
At the rate y'all drill holes in your rigs around here I'd imagine so...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/birth-zombiehunta-1612329/
zombiehunta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #15363
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

finished welding the exhaust on the Willys

Unread 11-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #15364
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish
I would think it has to do with moving weight closer to the center of the vehicle. Dunno. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Exactly, on the tailgate, or on a swing away that's a lot of weight back there beyond the rear axle. Move some weight forward, over the rear axle, or even in front of it and a TJ just rides better. That still doesn't fix the problem with the rear of these TJ's and LJ's though. It only masks the problems.

I'm hoping my mods get me the better ride I'm looking for. When you lift a stock TJ, or LJ without relocating the upper perches the front part of the rear coils are close to compressed because they're arched badly. IMO that alone screws the ride up on these TJ's and LJ's. Now look at the rear shocks. In the stock configuration you have what maybe 4 inches of upward travel before they bottom out? Ad some weight in the back of the jeep and you may have what 2 1/2 inches of upward travel before the shock bottoms out?

With an arched rear spring you may never bottom the shock or hit the bump stops though because the front side of the spring will probably fully compress first. Look at any TJ/LJ with a 4" lift slapped under it. The rear upper and lower bump stops don't even come close to lining up with each other.

Just some stuff I've been thinking about.

Good nite.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #15365
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job Daniel.

Unread 11-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #15366
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
finished welding the exhaust on the Willys
Looks awesome!

Hey does anybody know what would be a good location for a amplifier in a TJ?

The glove compartment is taken, so that's not a option plus it would be too small for my amp, the rear seat is out my dogs sit there. Any ideas? Also wanna get a subwoofer and new speakers and get rid if that stupid overhead noise thingi because it muffles music....

Gd nite guys...
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #15367
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

image-4277004777.jpg

Unread 11-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #15368
crawlin78
1978 CJ7 

So BAS Offroad want to have a Crawl Night once a week, trucks, jeeps, Rigs, buggys anything offroad. We will have the RTI ranmp out a buck a hit and all the money will got to wounded worrier! Who would be interested in somthing like that ?

Oh we will allso be doing some kind of raffle prize or 50/50

Location high desert victorville area
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #15369
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114
Looks awesome! Hey does anybody know what would be a good location for a amplifier in a TJ? The glove compartment is taken, so that's not a option plus it would be too small for my amp, the rear seat is out my dogs sit there. Any ideas? Also wanna get a subwoofer and new speakers and get rid if that stupid overhead noise thingi because it muffles music.... Gd nite guys...
Under one of the front seats. Good luck trying to get a sub in there and still have room for the dogs lol.

I'll give you $5 for your sound bar. Lol
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #15370
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Looks awesome!

Hey does anybody know what would be a good location for a amplifier in a TJ?

The glove compartment is taken, so that's not a option plus it would be too small for my amp, the rear seat is out my dogs sit there. Any ideas? Also wanna get a subwoofer and new speakers and get rid if that stupid overhead noise thingi because it muffles music....

Gd nite guys...
try finding a small sized amp and mounting it inside the center console, drill a small hole and run the wires into the console or something. Or like mentioned, under the front seats or back seat, or between the back seat and tailgate. I had a 10" sub just sitting directly behind the center console (i don't have back seats anyways) and just mounted the amp directly to the box. i had it for about a year before it was stolen. It was free though so I didn't care too much, surprised it lasted that long.

you need that soundbar, your jeep only has 4 speakers, two in the dash and two above your head. They probably need replacing.
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #15371
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do pretty well with my two dash speakers. I do have a third just stuck to the transmission tunnel though. Doesn't make much difference I don't think lol.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #15372
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
try finding a small sized amp and mounting it inside the center console, drill a small hole and run the wires into the console or something. Or like mentioned, under the front seats or back seat, or between the back seat and tailgate. I had a 10" sub just sitting directly behind the center console (i don't have back seats anyways) and just mounted the amp directly to the box. i had it for about a year before it was stolen. It was free though so I didn't care too much, surprised it lasted that long. you need that soundbar, your jeep only has 4 speakers, two in the dash and two above your head. They probably need replacing.
Stock speaker location for jeeps is god awful. In my YJ, I used the following:

2 6" speakers mounted in kick pods under the door jambs (fronts)

Crutch field item # 663modpod

For the rear, I like the VDP wedges, they jam in between the roll bar and the fender.

Or select increments versa pods, which you can mount in the same spot with a little more effort.

But since you also want to mount a sub/subs, look at the select increments quad pods

Crutchfield item 663quadpod

These locations are good because they get the speakers out of the way, and also move them away from your ears. The main goal here is to try and get each speaker the same distance from your head. Hard to do, but they are a good solution.

As for amps, get a small 5 channel, and you can mount it either in the console, or under the pass seat. Note that if you mount it in the console, it may not be a bad idea to drill a couple vent holes to get air flowing over it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #15373
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Skylar did you ever get that gas tank skid on?
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #15374
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is it Thanksgiving yet? Who's all going to Cougar Buttes? I'm thinking I'll get there on Thursday the 28th set up camp, etc, and then head for home on Sunday December 1st.

The list so far,

Zombiehunta666 (trail leader)
Clg82
Skylar
Hotshot

Add your name to the list.

There's a chance I may be off work on the 22nd, and won't have to go back to work until Dec 2nd. If thats the case maybe we can do some wheeling somewhere the weekend of 23rd/24th also ?
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #15375
SkylarM
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
Skylar did you ever get that gas tank skid on?
Not yet. I had to fix my exhaust first that caused a melted Evap hose near the tank. This weekend, I dropped the tank with the intention of installing the new skid, but found that the damage to my gas tank is more severe than I thought so I assessed it and reinstalled. I have a drill this weekend, but the weekend before Thanksgiving, I'll drop a new tank in the skid and bolt it up. I also discovered that I can work right in the parking lot of Autozone, which isn't as nice as having a garage or carport, but it's great when I come across something that requires a unique part/tool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Is it Thanksgiving yet? Who's all going to Cougar Buttes? I'm thinking I'll get there on Thursday the 28th set up camp, etc, and then head for home on Sunday December 1st.

The list so far,

Zombiehunta666 (trail leader)
Clg82
Skylar
Hotshot

Add your name to the list.

There's a chance I may be off work on the 22nd, and won't have to go back to work until Dec 2nd. If thats the case maybe we can do some wheeling somewhere the weekend of 23rd/24th also ?

I'll head up Thanksgiving morning, and head home Sunday morning early. I don't think it'll extend any long than that for me just because I have to get ready for work again come Monday. Granted I think after 3 full days of CB, we'll be ready to head home :P
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.