Red Rock area, Ca. 2013 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 221 Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedave View Post
Regarding my post #69...

That website link I posted in that post is a pretty good little read. The following is an excerp from that site...what it describes is precisely what I meant regarding lack of knowledge for the "flats". The few remaining buildings are remnants of the following:





"Before long a stage began to run between Goler and Mojave (Mojave was the nearest railroad at the time), and a town (however never actually being considered a town, it was a camp) began to pop up around the mining activity. The number of businesses that once occupied the town of Goler is not well documented, however a boarding house, several saloons, and a store are known to have been located here."



I wish I could locate photos from this era, however, there seems to be so little in existance regarding Goler I doubt I ever will... .Other then the 2001 encounter with that old couple that grew up there.



Anyway, rambling over lol
Cool stuff. Your right info on the area is hard to find.

Hotshot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
VINCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 27
A lot can be found in the Desert Magazine archives

http://mydesertmagazine.com/Desert_m...e_archive.html

Just be patient and read through all the years Golers biggest hey day was in the 1930's there is a sign that can be found in Goler Gulch proclaiming school house site. Also in the D.M under readrs write in section are letters from some of the women that lived there. If you take the time to explore you can find all kinds of old house foundations, mines, old water ponds etc etc there is an awful lot of things to find and see in the El Paso every time I go there I find some thing new to check out

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
295/70/17 Nitto trail grappler tires
Pin striping by Bob Spina
VINCH is offline  
post #93 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCH View Post
A lot can be found in the Desert Magazine archives

http://mydesertmagazine.com/Desert_m...e_archive.html

Just be patient and read through all the years Golers biggest hey day was in the 1930's there is a sign that can be found in Goler Gulch proclaiming school house site. Also in the D.M under readrs write in section are letters from some of the women that lived there. If you take the time to explore you can find all kinds of old house foundations, mines, old water ponds etc etc there is an awful lot of things to find and see in the El Paso every time I go there I find some thing new to check out


Vinch, this is precisely why I love this area!

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #94 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Thats an awesome link, Thanks VINCH.
Hotshot is offline  
post #95 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Yes it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Thats an awesome link, Thanks VINCH.
Been taking a couple minutes here at work when a get a break in between phone calls and customers to check it out! Love it!


I stumbled onto this just now...so I will share, in case noone has seen it.

http://www.thegeozone.com/treasure/c...les/ca013a.jsp

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #96 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedave

Been taking a couple minutes here at work when a get a break in between phone calls and customers to check it out! Love it!

I stumbled onto this just now...so I will share, in case noone has seen it.

http://www.thegeozone.com/treasure/c...les/ca013a.jsp
Reading this makes me want to buy a metal detector. I read another story somewhere about a young girl hearding sheep that picked up a pretty colored rock a long the way. Somewhere near Garlock. That night at the dinner table she showed it to whoever she lived with. They hunted for the spot but never found it. Everyone in town would buy her candy trying to get information on where she found it.
Hotshot is offline  
post #97 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Hearding sheep?!?! Lol the reason everyone left is because there's no more gold! If she was herding sheep that had two be a hundred years ago!
clg82 is offline  
post #98 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82
Hearding sheep?!?! Lol the reason everyone left is because there's no more gold! If she was herding sheep that had two be a hundred years ago!
Yep, over a hundred years ago. Every year it rains and erosion occurs. Always the chance that a gold ledge becomes exposed. A hundred years ago they were picking up huge nuggets laying right on top of the ground. There's a museum up north that made plaster casts of the actual nuggets found just laying on the ground in the Northern Sierras. Some of those casts are as big as your head. Ask Danny to see the gold that we've found just screwing around out in the desert on the weekends.

Chris did you go to that link MojaveDave posted. Do it, and read the three or four pages. You live right where all this was going on, it's still going on.. There could be gold nuggets literally right under your font and back yard. You could be picking them up in your tire treads and flinging them right back out.
Hotshot is offline  
post #99 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Check this link, look at the 156 oz nugget found in the area. http://www.goldcalifornia.net/
Hotshot is offline  
post #100 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
It may have been goats?
Hotshot is offline  
post #101 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
VINCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 27
I do a good part of my prospecting in the E.P.'s. Always find something in Goler Gulch,not much but something. The hills are littered with old mines and in the last 2yrs more and more people have been working the area. Many many new holes. Black mountain is a old Indian ritual site

another good place for desert prospecting and wheeling is Saline valley. Lots of old mining camps

The Panimints are also a favorite place for wheeling exploring fun

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
295/70/17 Nitto trail grappler tires
Pin striping by Bob Spina

Last edited by VINCH; 01-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.
VINCH is offline  
post #102 of 221 Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Hotshot
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCH
I do a good part of my prospecting in the E.P.'s. Always find something in Goler Gulch,not much but something. The hills are littered with old mines and in the last 2yrs more and more people have been working the area. Many many new holes. Black mountain is a old Indian ritual site

another good place for desert prospecting and wheeling is Saline valley. Lots of old mining camps

The Panimints are also a favorite place for wheeling exploring fun
I haven't done any prospecting around there yet. I've found a little color in the Ord mountains, around Johnson Valley area, and in the Cajon pass. I have a few spots I need to go back to and do a little digging. Everything I've found was by accident while out wheeling.
Hotshot is offline  
post #103 of 221 Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Speaking Of Johnson Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
I haven't done any prospecting around there yet. I've found a little color in the Ord mountains, around Johnson Valley area, and in the Cajon pass. I have a few spots I need to go back to and do a little digging. Everything I've found was by accident while out wheeling.


Speaking of Johnson Valley, check this crap out! This reminds me of a thread I just started last night regarding Goler and the Edith E. Cabin.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13585327701684

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #104 of 221 Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
clg82
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedave View Post
Speaking of Johnson Valley, check this crap out! This reminds me of a thread I just started last night regarding Goler and the Edith E. Cabin.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13585327701684
Old news......you should hang out in the TJ technical section more often!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/im...d-use-1464221/

clg82 is offline  
post #105 of 221 Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Hahaha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Old news......you should hang out in the TJ technical section more often!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/im...d-use-1464221/

TJ? I don't go there much since I have an XJ lol!

I happened to see it elsewhere and looked here rather quickly. But, knowing it was here somewhere, my posting it in this thread was more to make mention of it, rather than inform ya'll of what I know you already knew...

Phew, I ain't tryin' to say that again lol.

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-18-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add info
mojavedave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Red Rock/Goler area camping trip Feb 2012 mojavedave California Jeep Forum 27 03-02-2012 10:00 AM
NEW to the area. Jarred2 SanDiego 14 11-27-2011 08:21 PM
Bay Area JPetru82 California Jeep Forum 15 10-31-2011 11:54 PM
New to the area arsenol23 California Jeep Forum 4 07-21-2011 11:55 PM
SLO, CA area JJ-4 California Jeep Forum 5 03-17-2008 09:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome