Red Rock area, Ca. 2013 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Red Rock area, Ca. 2013

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #61
Cargo636

I'm in the process. Just don't have the time or the knowlage yet about these motors.
A friend came by and messed with it a little and it seems like it has a vacuum leak. Also needs a new brake booster.
I'm planing to get the brakes sorted soon and the the vacuum leak.
If I can get that done ill try and make it.

Cargo636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #62
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo636 View Post
I'm in the process. Just don't have the time or the knowlage yet about these motors.
A friend came by and messed with it a little and it seems like it has a vacuum leak. Also needs a new brake booster.

If your brake booster is failing, that is more then likely your vac leak! Best of luck!
https://www.facebook.com/hinlo.desertrunners
mojavedave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #63
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I hope you get it fixed so you can come out and have a good time, thanks for the update.
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
Cargo636

I'm really hopping that it will be good by then.
The time is flying by.
Cargo636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorta...

Quote:
I'm really hopping that it will be good by then.
The time is flying by.
On one hand, I have nowhere near enough time to do what I want to before the trip. Then, on the other hand, I can't wait! So time seems to be dragging.
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #66
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've never been there before but might be interested if my current issue is fixed (bad ECU). I live in the San Fernado Valle which is about an hour south/west of you. Would be interested in meeting you up there in your town then caravanning up since I am not familiar with the area. I will check back before then depending if my issue gets fixed.

Thanks,
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #67
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Dave I went by the cabins tonight and I have to say I am disgussed at what I saw.
The cabins on the dry lake: The west end cabin has had every window and door broken and the east one burned down! When did THAT happen?
The cabin on the left side as you head up the wash: The front door is gone and part of the lean-to roof blew off, the people staying there tried to fix it the best they could.

So there you go, sorry for the bad news Dave.
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #68
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That really sucks. If they're not repaired soon idiots will continue to trash them beyond repair.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #69
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Hey Dave I went by the cabins tonight and I have to say I am disgussed at what I saw.
The cabins on the dry lake: The west end cabin has had every window and door broken and the east one burned down! When did THAT happen?
The cabin on the left side as you head up the wash: The front door is gone and part of the lean-to roof blew off, the people staying there tried to fix it the best they could.

So there you go, sorry for the bad news Dave.

I knew of the fires down in the "flats" ... one of which happened several years ago. When I started going there, there were 13 complete and intact, habitable buildings not counting the outhouse! It's terribly unfortunate the lack of respect many different types have out there. I have to say, I know that the first of the fires (since the 13 buildings existed, thus leaving 11 at THAT time) was started by a group of dirt bikers....it was an accident, but no doubt due to lack of concern and carelessness! There is simply NO excuse for any kind of fire to get so out of hand that we lose yet another piece of history. Sadly, the few decent dirt bikers I have spoke with (there are no doubt plenty of good ones) don't even know the true history of this area. In fact most of them mistakenly believe the flats that have doubled as a landing strip, had always been as such. In fact the area had originally began as a tent city with literally hundreds of tents set up and had one main street...that which the few buildings that are left stand. The local school (Goler Schoolhouse) was just up from the Edith E. cabin in Goler Gulch/Wash In 2001, my goup was just finishing breakfast on a Sunday morning in spring there in Goler proper, those buildings on the flats when an old couple actually rolled into the flats in a Lincoln Towncar. The two were raised right there in that tent city from 3-4 years old til their early teens when their fathers had a falling out, one threatening to kill the other quite literally with a rifle if he did not leave as he struck it, not rich, but made a (at that time) sizable finding. The other father and family (the gentleman's family) did in fact leave town. The girl ran away, found her NOW HUSBAND and married, raised a family and return to the area each year...well, at least back then as they were truly quite old. They didn't even get out of their car. But myself and my dear friend, Ted, spoke to them for over an hour right there at the window frames of the car doors. It was perhaps, my favorite experience in the area as the stories they had, the pictures though grainy that they had...it was truly amazing to hear of the history from someone who lived there first hand! But, waaaay too many people think this place was nothing more then the few dwellings left there and a landing strip, believing that's all it ever was. People, families, friends and enemies made their life there...made a horribly rough living there, died there. There is a cemetery just a canyon west (Benson Canyon off of Iron Canyon, were many of Goler's residents are laid to rest. Those who know even a little of the history, respect the area and the history, are the ones who at the very least, attempt to leave it better then when they arrived. I myself and my group took care of a cabin over in Bonanza Gulch for many years. It fell to the wayside for awhile after my life demanded enough of me that I could no longer make the trip 2-3 times a year simply to clean up and make repairs. Someone took over that cabin and for several years and as of just last year, it was in quite nice shape! That's what I love to see, respect. Someone who cares. These dwellings are nothing more then a symbol. . . a symbol of the lives those pioneers lived and when you stay at one, you can't help but feel their situation a little bit...at least I do. I think of how cold it gets in February out there...and as much as that cold bites, I have the option of leaving Sunday night after packing up and getting into my Jeep. My Jeep with a heater. Those folks if lucky may have had a horse or access thereof. They dedicated their lives in these areas in hopes of making a better life for themselves, their families. It's all too often taken for granted. It's all too often unknown, un realized, just what they went through. It's all too often disrepected, vandalized, abused....and forgotten.

Here is a link to some good reading of the area, inlcuding a few pics and a map of Goler, Goler Heights, Goler Gulch, Benson Gulch(Canyon), etc.

http://deathvalleyjim.com/2012/03/29/goler-ca-32112/
It disgusts me to no end. But, I can only rant about it, try to clean up while I am there, and pray that the next group does the same.

Ok, enough of my personal disgust and ranting! Back to the fun part of thinsgs!

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-15-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #70
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain Dave, it's sad that so many people are like rats, if they can't have it they crap on it and tear it all to hell. IMHO they need to be shot on sight, no excuses, no nothing, PERIOD!

I just talked to my co-worker who FINALLY talked to her husband and I can borrow their pop-up trailer! Woo Hoo! They have to go up to their house in Kennedy Meadows and get it and get it registered but that is all small stuff. Once they get it down the mountain I will go check it out and see if it needs anuthing, man I can't wait!

See you around!

Added: OK I found out that this pop-up is basically a tent on wheels, no water, no stove, no heater, just the beds. Hell it will be better than sleeping on the ground!
Roughing it in a tent on wheels, don't know about you but it works for me! Now I gotta go to my RV store and get a potra-pottie and a heater!

Last edited by jeff_in_rc; 01-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: added something
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #71
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Xj "Roughin' It"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
I feel your pain Dave, it's sad that so many people are like rats, if they can't have it they crap on it and tear it all to hell. IMHO they need to be shot on sight, no excuses, no nothing, PERIOD!

I just talked to my co-worker who FINALLY talked to her husband and I can borrow their pop-up trailer! Woo Hoo! They have to go up to their house in Kennedy Meadows and get it and get it registered but that is all small stuff. Once they get it down the mountain I will go check it out and see if it needs anuthing, man I can't wait!

See you around!

Added: OK I found out that this pop-up is basically a tent on wheels, no water, no stove, no heater, just the beds. Hell it will be better than sleeping on the ground!
Roughing it in a tent on wheels, don't know about you but it works for me! Now I gotta go to my RV store and get a potra-pottie and a heater!
I will be sleepin in the back of the XJ! lol

As for a port-a-potty? Grab an old 5-7 gallon paint bucket and keep a roll of TP and small trash bags handy...that with a shovel and you're set! lol
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #72
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedave View Post
I will be sleepin in the back of the XJ! lol

As for a port-a-potty? Grab an old 5-7 gallon paint bucket and keep a roll of TP and small trash bags handy...that with a shovel and you're set! lol
The porta pottie is cheap enough but the smallest heater is like $350.00!

Got a line on another trailer, have to wait and see if they are using it that weekend, and this one has a heater!

Yea I've done the 5 gal bucket trick, stinky! LOL
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #73
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Dave, you may have said it in this thread? Where are you guys setting up camp exactly? If I come out I plan on bringing my fifth wheel RV. I know that probably wont leave me a lot of options on where I can park.
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #74
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Hey Dave, you may have said it in this thread? Where are you guys setting up camp exactly? If I come out I plan on bringing my fifth wheel RV. I know that probably wont leave me a lot of options on where I can park.
I recently updated the second post with a bit more information, including a map, a google earth screen shot and coordinates. Hopefully that helps. The "Flats" in Goler proper, has loads of room for a 5th wheel. How long is the trailer, though? My location will be up the gulch just a little bit. We had an extremely large horsetrailer up there last year, a touch tricky, but possible.

Last edited by mojavedave; 01-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #75
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedave

I recently updated the second post with a bit more information, including a map, a google earth screen shot and coordinates. Hopefully that helps. The "Flats" in Goler proper, has loads of room for a 5th wheel. How long is the trailer, though? My location will be up the gulch just a little bit. We had an extremely large horsetrailer up there last year, a touch tricky, but possible.
I'll check the post. My trailer is about 36' long. It's brand new and my truck sits low so I won't want to get in to anything to ruff. If I have to park a little ways from the main camp it's not a big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.