post #46 of Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Cargo636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canyon Country
Posts: 61
That looks like so much fun.
I picked up a '88 XJ


Cargo636 is offline  
post #47 of Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo636 View Post
That looks like so much fun.
I picked up a '88 XJ
When you say make it run better what is wrong with it? You have a good platform there!

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #48 of Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Cargo636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canyon Country
Posts: 61
It has a high idle and blowby, but it does run.
Cargo636 is offline  
post #49 of Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 778
Happy New Year everyone! I took my wife (a big chicken BTW), daughter, and both dogs up Goler Gultch and Hobbs Creek yesterday, what a way to start the new year! There is a huge bolder that has fallen into the narrows making getting past it a challange but it's doable and my wife got scared and got out and walked for a bit but it's all good! She does not like to get bounced around and it scares the hell outta her but hey, she did it and I am proud of her for hanging in there and finishing the trails.

So, how are you doing on your repairs Dave? And Cargo636, how's the Jeep running? You guys getting ready for the run? I can't wait!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #50 of Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
coming along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Happy New Year everyone! I took my wife (a big chicken BTW), daughter, and both dogs up Goler Gultch and Hobbs Creek yesterday, what a way to start the new year! There is a huge bolder that has fallen into the narrows making getting past it a challange but it's doable and my wife got scared and got out and walked for a bit but it's all good! She does not like to get bounced around and it scares the hell outta her but hey, she did it and I am proud of her for hanging in there and finishing the trails.

So, how are you doing on your repairs Dave? And Cargo636, how's the Jeep running? You guys getting ready for the run? I can't wait!
That boulder was there this last Feb 2012! lol. I know PRECISELY the one you're talking about.

I will have the Cherokee ready one way or another for next month's trip. It appears though that I will be on factory control arms for the time being...long story, but time and some urgent matters dictated that I take out the arms I had in the Jeep and go back to stock with 4" lift for now. I likely won't have the new arms complete and installed until sometime in March/April. But no biggie, I will be ready! I am DEFINATELY ready to get away! Bonfire/BBQ/beer and some good 'ol R & R~!

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #51 of Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Cargo636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canyon Country
Posts: 61
I havent had time to work on it with work and the holidays.
I have a buddy coming to look at it this week because work has been crazy.
Cargo636 is offline  
post #52 of Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Quote from another forum regarding this trip....

"sounds like fun and only an hour away !"

So I added a quick blerb...sharing it here sorta just cuz.


That's part of why it's such a regular annual spot/area for me...it takes me about an hour an 15 minutes from my house IF I stop and top up fuel and munchies in Mojave! It's pretty much my back yard, lol.


Gonna reiterate the basic necessities here real quick.

1. The usual stuff of course, food, water, fuel, some tools.

2. There isn't much in the way of sleeping arrangements or beds/cots, etc. There used to be but over the years the area has unfortunately been victimized so be sure to BRING A TENT OR BEDDING FOR YOUR RIG ETC! I don't want anyone to show up to the nasty surprise of "nowhere" to sleep.

3. I ask that if at all possible, please bring even just a little firewood. It's the one thing we seem to need the most. I will be bringing a trailer with quite a little bit, but, last year, we went through about half a cord in 4 nights.

Anyway, can't wait to get out there, get my "R & R" on, toss a few back, hit some trails, see some old friends and maybe make some new ones!

Catch Ya Later!

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #53 of Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 778
I will bring some firewood as I must have 2 cords in my backyard! Won't be bringing my trailer, my daughter is living in it now in Bakersfield to go to Cal State. Don't know about tenting it, time will tell.
I may just come out for the runs and hang around for dinner and beers around the fire. What ever way works huh?

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #54 of Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Whatever works

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
I will bring some firewood as I must have 2 cords in my backyard! Won't be bringing my trailer, my daughter is living in it now in Bakersfield to go to Cal State. Don't know about tenting it, time will tell.
I may just come out for the runs and hang around for dinner and beers around the fire. What ever way works huh?
Oh yeah, no pressure on anyone. Stay for a morning, an afternoon, a day or overnight all three nights....whatever works!

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #55 of Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 778
Hey Dave I just noticed you added a Google Earth pic showing the cabin at the mouth of the canyon, I am going to try to get out there this weekend to look it over. When I did goler on New Years Day it looked like there were no doors to the cabin! That would make for a cold night for sure!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #56 of Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Hey Dave I just noticed you added a Google Earth pic showing the cabin at the mouth of the canyon, I am going to try to get out there this weekend to look it over. When I did goler on New Years Day it looked like there were no doors to the cabin! That would make for a cold night for sure!
"NO DOORS?!!!" That pisses me off....I DESPISE those who have NO respect for the area, or any historic area for that matter!

But, even without doors, we can make do.

I have attached a pic of that cabin YEARS ago. I still remember it looking like this...it's truly sad to see the shape of things after careless acts from disrespectful people.
Attached Thumbnails
edith e cabin years ago.jpg  

HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #57 of Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
My Countdown!



In 36 days, I will be setting up for my first night this year at the Edith E. Cabin, in Goler Wash....I can hardly wait! I need a break!

Just spouting off here, have a great Thursday people!


HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #58 of Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 778
I hear ya Dave, I can't wait! I am working on one of my co-workers to see if I can borrow their pop-up trailer for the weekend, keep your fingers crossed!
Got the hall pass from the wife for the entire weekend, she will take the dogs and go to her moms for the weekend! Woo Hoo lets go already!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #59 of Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
mojavedave
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: lancaster
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
I hear ya Dave, I can't wait! I am working on one of my co-workers to see if I can borrow their pop-up trailer for the weekend, keep your fingers crossed!
Got the hall pass from the wife for the entire weekend, she will take the dogs and go to her moms for the weekend! Woo Hoo lets go already!


HI N LO DESERT RUNNERS-AV, CA. Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!(c)1998
mojavedave is offline  
post #60 of Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo636 View Post
I havent had time to work on it with work and the holidays.
I have a buddy coming to look at it this week because work has been crazy.
Hey cargo, what's the status of your Jeep? Did you get the issues resolved or ???

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Red Rock/Goler area camping trip Feb 2012 mojavedave California Jeep Forum 27 03-02-2012 10:00 AM
NEW to the area. Jarred2 SanDiego 14 11-27-2011 08:21 PM
Bay Area JPetru82 California Jeep Forum 15 10-31-2011 11:54 PM
New to the area arsenol23 California Jeep Forum 4 07-21-2011 11:55 PM
SLO, CA area JJ-4 California Jeep Forum 5 03-17-2008 09:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome