Red Rock area, Ca. 2013 - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Red Rock area, Ca. 2013

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #166
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cargo, sorry to hear about the brake line problems, I know you will get it done soon. Be sure you get the proper wrenches for brake lines, not just a regular open ended wrench, the kind that is almost a closed end wrench that will just fit over the lines. They are much better for fittings like that.

Dave, I am looking forward to meeting everyone and I can't wait to hear about Steves nickname.

If I can find the rest of my camping gear that is buried in the shed I will be camping for the weekend!

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #167
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

gonna try and find the reason for the name. My 94 Cherokee on a slick rock slide. It was 3 days old, and the angle of the trail was so steep, I could not back up the hill, and had to continue to the cliff and get down.....Lots of PUCKER FACTOR!!!
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #168
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Steve, that's pretty much what I was gettin at! LOL
https://www.facebook.com/hinlo.desertrunners
mojavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #169
VINCH

Tick Tock Tick Tock time is passing and the GTG is getting closer
Pin striping by Bob Spina
VINCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #170
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Completely forgot about this run. Glad I checked in on JF today!
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #171
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

We just might get some weather this weekend! Cold and windy here today with the mountains all covered in clouds.
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #172
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like some snow in Goler and The El Pasos during our trip....seen it there before and it or rain makes for a fun adventure out there!
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #173
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going out to Goler today just to reconnoiter. Need to see if I can get my "Monster" of a trailer into the airstrip area, or up to the heights where the road goes down into the wash. If anyone is out there and see's a dk blue "01" Cherokee stuck in the wash, pull me out!
I'll have my two dogs, and will probably have them barking and jumping all over to be let loose to run!

By the way....they HATED their Christmas decorations!!!

Unread 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #174
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So Steve what di you find yesterday?

Hey Dave, I may not be leaving as early as I thought on Friday, my daughter will be coming from Bakersfield to ride with me!
May not camp Friday night either, it's all up in the air right now.
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #175
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok Buoys and Gulls......
Went to the "Air Strip", up to the Edith E cabin, and a bit up the wash above. LOTS of trash was left by inconsiderate boobs of a bunch of dirt bags. Brought back 4 bags of bottles, cans, and paper trash. Took the dogs, and they had a blast running crazy, until they found a bunch of chicken bones someone just threw on the ground! The one good cabin was burned to the ground as most folks know, and the other has been trashed out pretty good. Walls torn apart, all windows smashed, and even some of the foundation posts and supports for the porch were yanked out. The road into the airstrip is open, but lots of off camber to get into the place, as berms from burning out, and wash outs on the top of the entrance. There is also a pretty large washout up on the road to the heights, and that one MAY be a place that will drag out your undersides of your trailer. Heights looked pretty good, but of course are exposed to wind in afternoon. The way down to the Edith E is open, and not too bad, but the cabin has received a bit more vandalism from jerks. Some one even took a dirt bike inside the cabin, and did donuts in the main room. The cabinets that held the sink, and next to the stove have been burned for fire wood, and a large railroad tie has been partly burned in the fire pit. I don't know WHY anyone would want to burn one of the timbers from the old railroad tie building, as it would stink and smoke like hell. ( It was one of the last timbers from the old house that was made of railroad timbers.) Yeah, I guess I am just bummed that the old historical, and picturesque buildings, and places we have are being destroyed by these jackwagons! It is no wonder the area is being considered for closure to everyone!
Ok, on another note, the area is nice for off road travel, as the recent snow and rain settled the dust on the airstrip, and on the trails. The shooting area by the Edith E cabin was cleaned up some by me, and it has been requested that no shooting be done there by BLM, as it is across the roadway/wash, and also has gotten kind of shot up. I would love to bring my tractor out to the Gulch, and scrape up the broken glass, and nails/metal/broken junk/shot up junk, that is there, and either buried or taken out. This area has been a favorite place to come camp, and visit, since the 60's, and I am really sorry to see it diminish so much. So, YEAH, I was a bit bummed by the inconsiderate treatment. I did not go to the "Squeeze", but imagine that it is passable, lots of wheeling areas are now closed on the other side near the talk mine, but they are posted, and easily bypassed to go into Last Chance Canyon by designated trailes. I did not go over the the Burro Schmidt mine, but heard it is open, and the folks at Bickel Camp are receiving folks. The foundations at the old Powder Magazine is closed. as the only way in is by coming down the dry waterfall above the mudhills. The Opal Mines road is open, but the mines are closed to outsiders right now.

Ok, If you have read all of this...a cookie to you! I did not mean to write a novel, but I am quite passionate about this place, and i have been coming here since 1953, so have seen the history lost.

Steve
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #176
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the conditions there Steve but it's kind of the same as the last time I went up there. A big THANK YOU for doing some cleanup and trash service.
I will take the door I have up there Wednesday night after work as I will have no way to haul it with the Jeep.

Hey Dave, I can't find the hindges anywhere, did you get some???
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #177
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ill try to find some in my junk cans. ( Lots of hardware I just can't throw away), does that sound familiar?

I build stuff, and work part time at maintenance for neighbors and other horse farms. So may bring some stuff in the truck. I am still up in the air about bringing my big horse trailer with Liv/Qtrs. It may not make the turn into the air strip, as the road is pretty messed up. I will probably bring about 50 gals of water as well, cause that seems to run out when camping. This is one of my annual trips, and I am really stoked about the trip.

We did have a bit of a disaster last year, as one guy flipped his rig, while running at night with no lights on, and yes, some alcohol MAY HAVE been involved.......

You can see my Dodge truck in the background. After we rolled him back onto his wheels, we strapped the steering rods, and wheels, and I dragged it back to where they could get a wrecker to it. Guy got minor injuries, and has not been out wheelin since.

A few years ago, we had a guy come all the way from Pahrump, with his Checz miltary truck. 6 Wheel drive, and really strong. But only 35-40 mph!!!

Steve...AKA; Slickrock
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #178
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you see the turn around just after the hard right to the airstrip? Could you make that OR go up further and turn around and head back to the airstrip?
If I had my trailer that is what I would do but alas, that's what my daughter is living in while going to Cal State Bakersfield. A whole lot cheaper to live in that an apartment.
I will look again for the hindges, hell I did find my Coleman Lantern but the stove is amoung the missing! LOL

OK stuipd question time, WTF was he doing running AT NIGHT WITHOUT LIGHTS??? To me that just spells diaster. OK rant over, back to the program.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #179
mojavedave
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Did you see the turn around just after the hard right to the airstrip? Could you make that OR go up further and turn around and head back to the airstrip?
If I had my trailer that is what I would do but alas, that's what my daughter is living in while going to Cal State Bakersfield. A whole lot cheaper to live in that an apartment.
I will look again for the hindges, hell I did find my Coleman Lantern but the stove is amoung the missing! LOL

OK stuipd question time, WTF was he doing running AT NIGHT WITHOUT LIGHTS??? To me that just spells diaster. OK rant over, back to the program.
That's a story better told somewhat privately in person...lol, we will fill ya in on it at camp.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #180
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK Dave, now do you want the door or do you want to wait for the rebuild??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.