Recommendations for Joshua Tree? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Recommendations for Joshua Tree?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Recommendations for Joshua Tree?

Heading out to Joshua Tree for some camping/Jeeping this weekend.

Never been there before. I live in Las Vegas.

Just wanted to get any recommendations on trails or places to camp and things to see while there.

We will most likely be by ourselves in my Jeep so I will be avoiding anything too tricky, especially since I don't have a winch yet. I have read that Berdoo canyon road is fairly simple so I am planning on running that trail so far.

Thanks!

SOLD: 2001 TJ Sport
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be heading out that way sometime in Nov. Jumbo Rocks Campground is cool. You can camp right up next to the rocks if your into that sort of thing. Hiking and meandering through the rocks is fun.

As far as wheeling in Joshua Tree, its pretty much prohibited for the most part. There are a few trails though for example, Black Eagle Mine Road, Old Dale Road, Thermal Canyon Road and Pinkham Canyon Road. I'll be taking Berdoo Canyon, AKA ''Geology Tour Road'' into the park.

Heres a pic of the park map that I've had since the 90's ........

The black dotted lines on the map are 4wd roads......Have fun
Unread 10-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
roadking
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Berdoo Canyon is a relatively easy trail into the park. One tricky section in the middle. Take the 10 east to Dillan Rd, head North and look for the sign to Berdoo Cyn. a few miles up the road on your right. The first part of the trail is kinda ugly... but then it turns into a really nice trail.

A park map will show you the location of its many "sights"...it's a beautiful park...bring your hiking boots!

[url]http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=-2512249746173560379&pr=goog-sl[/url]

[B]65 million firearms owners killed no one yesterday - Assault is a behavior, not a device.[/B]
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Joshua Tree NP is a great place for camping, hiking, and playing on the rocks. Great for kids and adults. One of my favorite places to camp. But, it's not much for off-roading (remember, it is a national park).

If you have some time to explore a little further away, Johnson Valley is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. You really have a variety of opportunities to explore there (from powerline roads, up to the Hammers).
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Actually ended up skipping Joshua tree, and doing Death Valley instead. It was amazing! Definitely recommended.

Unread 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you wheel in DV? In the Panamint area hopefully? I went out with a bunch of Jeepers years ago and we didn't know about the Panamint area so we were mostly disappointed with the available wheeling.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Death Valley Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Where did you wheel in DV? In the Panamint area hopefully? I went out with a bunch of Jeepers years ago and we didn't know about the Panamint area so we were mostly disappointed with the available wheeling.
Yeah we entered thru Titus canyon,(pic below) went down to Stovepipe Wells (and encountered a wicked sandstorm, it was awesome!). We camped at the end of a trail into Lemogne Canyon.

Titus Canyon

Sandstorm

The second day, we went down to Panamint and hiked to see Darwin falls.

Darwin Falls

After that, we drove up to Saline Valley and took the Lippincott Road over to the Racetrack and camped around there. Lippincott road was pretty hairy - a few a$$-puckering spots but overall no problem for a moderately built Jeep!

Burros on Saline Valley Road

Broken sign at entrance to Lippincott road

Lippincott Road

When we woke up we saw the Racetrack, and drove up to Ubehebe Crater.

Racetrack

Ubehebe Crater

All of it was amazing. If you are ever even close to Death Valley spend as many days as you can and see it all.

Next time, I'm planning on running the Steel Pass road on the far west side of the park.

Heck, now we should really rename this thread to Death Valley. Ha.

Unread 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went to Panamint Valley/Mountains with a small group last year. Stayed at Ballarat (not that scenic a place to camp, but it’s at the base of great trails). We did the Pleasant Canyon/South Park Canyon loop one day and Mengel Pass the other. Probably the most interesting off-roading I’ve done. Amazing variety of terrain. A great place for a 3 day weekend.
Cliff
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantdog View Post
Lippincott Road
Heh, that's where I almost slid off the trail. To the right of that, you'll remember it was a long ways down. I wasn't paying attention for 2-3 seconds while I was fiddling with the radio
deathvalleyjerryslidingofftrail.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
distantdog
2004 WJ 

Yeah, one must avoid the temptation to enjoy the scenery too much as well. It's good to find a level spot and get out if you want to take in the scenery without tumbling down into the canyon.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.