JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/)
-   -   Planning 1st Trip to Johnson Valley... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/planning-1st-trip-johnson-valley-1194101/)

SuperWade2 04-09-2011 07:09 PM

Planning 1st Trip to Johnson Valley...

...am planning my first trip down to Johnson Valley at the end of the month. Going down with my club (5-6 rigs) and I hope to meet MrBlaine and possibly a few other folks out there as well. It's a pretty long drive from here, probably 8-9 hours depending on traffic.

I'm not really sure that I'm ready, but I don't really know what else I should do to get ready. My Rig is as well setup and tuned up as it's ever been. Rewired my ARB Compressor recently and fixed a air leak at the bulkhead, swapped all my fluids, recently greased everything and flushed and filled my coolant. I recently replaced my Front Driveshaft as well since my OEM took a couple hits at Swamp Lake last fall

I'm towing the TJ down and will likely sleep in my Tahoe with the seats folded down since I will be by myself. I am getting all my normal camping stuff ready and will make sure I have lots of water and suuplies with me for basecamp.

I have spare outer Axle stubs (already running 27 spline Chormo Superiors outers and 30 spline inners up front), Axle UJoints, Drive Shaft UJoints, ARB Compressor/Airline, etc. I don't really have anything spare for the rear Axle, but running 35 Spline Chormo stuff, so the Ring Gear will likely go before the axles. I can still use my OEM front Driveshaft in an pinch, and I have my original Currie Tie-Rod (that I upgraded to the Savvy Ultimate Unbendable Tie Rod) and have extra TRE's.

I'm pretty well armored with my Savvy Armor and other stuff, so not really sure what else I need to think about before I go. Any suggestions or words of wisdom, or should I just stop worrying about it and go and have a rocking good time... if something busts, I just have to get it on the trailer to get it home :rofl:

pdangerp 04-10-2011 06:59 PM

From what I've seen in my one trip there. You can have everything you have and still mess yourself up. Are you towing your Jeep on a trailer or flat towing? I recommend a trailer if you plan on playing really hard. Also, your idea to sleep in your tahoe is great. I slept in a tent and the wind blew sand EVERYWHERE. It also gets very cold there at night, so remember to bring lots of warm clothes if you plan on staying up late at night. GPS also helps you get back to camp.

SuperWade2 04-10-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdangerp (Post 11343118)
From what I've seen in my one trip there. You can have everything you have and still mess yourself up. Are you towing your Jeep on a trailer or flat towing? I recommend a trailer if you plan on playing really hard. Also, your idea to sleep in your tahoe is great. I slept in a tent and the wind blew sand EVERYWHERE. It also gets very cold there at night, so remember to bring lots of warm clothes if you plan on staying up late at night. GPS also helps you get back to camp.

Yes, I'm towing the TJ down on a 16' trailer (borrowing)...my 2003 Chevy Tahoe isn't optimal at towing, but it gets the job done. This will be the longest haul with it by about double.

So for a more specific question, when I get down there, should I plan on popping off my Hard Doors and my Viking Fastback Top/Windows (or at least the side/back windows) while on the trails? I don't really want to rip my top too bad (it's now the only top I own), and not sure if doors are better on to protect the door frame to make sure I can get doors back on, or off to protect the doors themselves from nasty damage.

'92 vegas YJ 04-10-2011 07:55 PM

i say stop worrying and go have some fun.

my rig is def not the best in the world but i still go out there and thrash. the trails can be as easy or as hard as you want. they have everything from sand dunes to full blown buggy trails.

i usually run with doors but thats because everytime ive gone its been freezing outside.

heres some pics of me on an easy trail

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...valley/297.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...valley/300.jpg

SuperWade2 04-10-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ (Post 11343607)
i say stop worrying and go have some fun.

my rig is def not the best in the world but i still go out there and thrash. the trails can be as easy or as hard as you want. they have everything from sand dunes to full blown buggy trails.

i usually run with doors but thats because everytime ive gone its been freezing outside.

heres some pics of me on an easy trail

Over-planning and worrying is one of my curses... I'll likely bust something major within the first 50 yards of the entrance to the trails and be a passenger/rock stacker the rest of the weekend anyhow! :rofl:

'92 vegas YJ 04-10-2011 09:07 PM

hahah i hope not

Joe Dillard 04-10-2011 09:10 PM

It sounds like your TJ is fairly well set-up.

I have wheeled with Blaine several times in JV over the years. Be sure to listen to him VERY carefully & block-out all other things when/if he's spotting you. You'll quickly learn to trust him if you allow his talents to steer you in the right direction....literally. :)

We usually camp at a great location, which will make waking-up in the morning a joy & the evenings around the campfire utter bliss.

If the group plans to hit the trails at 8AM, be ready to leave camp at 8 sharp, not 8:05. You may get left behind if not ready to rock & roll. If you need help with something, ask.

The morning horn gets blown ~7AM. This is a good time to get your coffee, donuts, orange juice, pack your lunch & trail drinks, tools, etc.

DO NOT, plan to have ANY adult beverages while on the trail.

Have a good working CB or 2M ham radio, or better yet, both.

Bring PLENTY of firewood, a camp chair, a good attitude, and you WILL have the time of your life. :)

Joe Dillard 04-10-2011 09:14 PM

This is one of my favorite pics of Blaine spotting me. :)

Oh, I usually leave the doors & spare tire back at camp. You'll learn why after a few trail runs.

http://www.fototime.com/2992CFDC21C6EB7/standard.jpg

SuperWade2 04-10-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dillard (Post 11344167)
It sounds like your TJ is fairly well set-up.

I have wheeled with Blaine several times in JV over the years. Be sure to listen to him VERY carefully & block-out all other things when/if he's spotting you. You'll quickly learn to trust him if you allow his talents to steer you in the right direction....literally. :)

We usually camp at a great location, which will make waking-up in the morning a joy & the evenings around the campfire utter bliss.

If the group plans to hit the trails at 8AM, be ready to leave camp at 8 sharp, not 8:05. You may get left behind if not ready to rock & roll. If you need help with something, ask.

The morning horn gets blown ~7AM. This is a good time to get your coffee, donuts, orange juice, pack your lunch & trail drinks, tools, etc.

DO NOT, plan to have ANY adult beverages while on the trail.

Have a good working CB or 2M ham radio, or better yet, both.

Bring PLENTY of firewood, a camp chair, a good attitude, and you WILL have the time of your life. :)

Thanks Joe! Helpful advice...

With Blaine, I've already learned to not "piss off my spotter", so I damn sure will listen to him :rofl:

The early start won't be a problem, I don't sleep much when camping, I'm usually the first awake and ready to go.

I don't take ANY adult beverage while wheeling any trail, just something I'm not comfortable with. Can't say the same for many of the other folks I wheel with from time to time.

Just had my CB checked out by local Radiohead, so all is go. No 2M Ham, and my Novice license expired about 15 years ago! Was never very good at the Morse code! :rofl:

I should be good on the other stuff... have a bit of wood left from my winter cord that I planned on stacking on the trailer and will bring plenty of everything else.

Wade

Joe Dillard 04-10-2011 09:28 PM

Sounds like you're well on your way to an awesome time in JV.

Take plenty of pics......or it didn't happen. :D

The time now is 03:03 PM.