Old Coast Road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Old Coast Road?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Old Coast Road? Monterey, carmel

Anybody on the coast been to this trail before? About 5-15 miles south of Monterey & Carmel on 1. I'll be doing a trip the 22-24 to pismo then up along the 1 to santa cruz, and was planning on checking this trail out along the way. So if anyone has any input on it before i take this trip it would be appreciated. Thanks

218bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
BoarderMX
2013 JK Wrangler 

Coming from the Monterey side you'll have a steep downhill at the end, reverse to steep uphill if coming from the Big Sur side. They grade it a couple of times a year, very much a fire road after grading and no 4 wheel drive needed. In-between grading depending on weather it can get rutted and it is impassable when wet due to a clay based soil and the steepness of the road.

Overall, a great diversion when traveling down 1 with a few nice scenic vistas along the way. Private ranches line it most of the way with fences keeping you constrained to the road itself.
BoarderMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

so do you think it'll be driveable next weekend? and can you get through it going north bound on the 1
218bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Droolguy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have driven it a few times.

It's a nice drive, not difficult at all, last time I was on it a minivan made the trip.

Even wet it's not that bad if you have aggressive tires, 4x4, and someone who is comfortable driving a slide. I think they close the gate if it is wet though.
Droolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Droolguy
2013 JK Wrangler 

It has entrances going either direction on HWY 1.

Give me a minute and I will post up a google maps link showing you where.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Droolguy
2013 JK Wrangler 

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...=h&mra=ls&z=13

There you go... have fun.
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

The trail is very easy and rated as a 1 out of 10 in the SUV trails book have. If you want something a bit more difficult, rating 2, go further south on 1, take Willow creek dirt road (just south of Willow Creek campground), then drive about 7 miles till you get to Coast ridge road, then you have about 26 miles until you get to Nacimento-Ferguson Rd. Then you can go left back to 1, or right to get back to 101.
jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.