Nor Cal Jeepers Slickrock/Deer Valley 2011 - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Nor Cal Jeepers Slickrock/Deer Valley 2011

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #586
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
All good, I think in time I'll reevaluate that as well. The Jeepers I was talking to said to get a lunchbox locker, I think a Lock Right?

They also told me to stop using my clutch so much, as I was just going to burn it up. I didn't know what they meant at first, then after a bit more of driving I started to figure out that I didn't need to slam the clutch in every time the rig felt like it was going to die, and that I could let it out a lot faster and it'll grab just fine in 4 Low.

I'll chalk it all up to my noobness.
We are having a club meeting this Saturday at 7:15 if you want to check things out.

Unread 10-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #587
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
You dont need a front locker for slick rock. I've done it on a 2" and 31" tires 3 times now.
Except you did have that broken oil pan the first time, and really excellent spotters.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #588
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD View Post
We are having a club meeting this Saturday at 7:15 if you want to check things out.
Sounds good but I'll be out of town, have to go clean out a house in Merced.

How often are these club meetings?
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #589
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds good but I'll be out of town, have to go clean out a house in Merced.

How often are these club meetings?
Once a month but KMD and I both live in Modesto so we are available more times than not.
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #590
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I learned to pull the IAC sensor and it'll help crawling...too bad I learned this after most of the trail lol.

What's the IAC sensor do?
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #591
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Idle Air Control IIRC.

You pull it, because it'll allow the engine to idle lower, it also won't high idle when it's cold. The guys were saying (and demonstrated) that pulling it will allow the rig to crawl easier with a manual transmission. Basically, when the engine is about to die, the IAC will kick up the idle and cause the rig to jerk a little (i.e. coming to a stop, and you don't put the clutch in, the rig will buck) This will stop happening, and you can crawl in 4 low and leave your foot off the clutch.

It might help, it might not, but it helped me. Now, after we got back onto hwy 4, I popped the sensor back in, and drove through the beginning of the trail and was able to crawl in 4low without the IAC unplugged just the same. Maybe it just helped me learn to control the rig without the clutch a bit better. I stopped being so worried that the rig would die when the RPM dropped to around 1k.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #592
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Except you did have that broken oil pan the first time, and really excellent spotters.
But the point is I didnt need lockers! And sucky spotters. Couldnt hear them talking to me. Wait...cause no one wastalking to me til I had trouble.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #593
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But the point is I didnt need lockers! And sucky spotters. Couldnt hear them talking to me. Wait...cause no one wastalking to me til I had trouble.
You mean your Dad?

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #594
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, hes a terrible spotter. My last 2 trips have been flawless though. He wasnt a spotter on either. Just sayin. Oil pan was due to hummers though. such un reliable vehicles. I shoulda gassed it and jumped it off that ledge.
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #595
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, hes a terrible spotter. My last 2 trips have been flawless though. He wasnt a spotter on either. Just sayin. Oil pan was due to hummers though. such un reliable vehicles. I shoulda gassed it and jumped it off that ledge.
Those hummer guys actually helped me out a ton fixing the broken shaft. And Bebe is a huge asset in the fight for land use... so dont get upset because you broke on slickrock. It happens to the best of us
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #596
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm upset because they couldn't move their fat truck out of the trail to let us get by and cost me a few hundred. My break was not due to stupidity.
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #597
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with agent on this one. The guy could have moved his Hummer, but was waiting for Bebe or someone to tell him to. If I didn't shadow him and keep demanding he to move it, he wouldn't have. I asked him five times, and he wouldn't even acknowledge me. The guy was a total jerk-wad.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #598
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Idle Air Control IIRC.

You pull it, because it'll allow the engine to idle lower, it also won't high idle when it's cold. The guys were saying (and demonstrated) that pulling it will allow the rig to crawl easier with a manual transmission. Basically, when the engine is about to die, the IAC will kick up the idle and cause the rig to jerk a little (i.e. coming to a stop, and you don't put the clutch in, the rig will buck) This will stop happening, and you can crawl in 4 low and leave your foot off the clutch.

It might help, it might not, but it helped me. Now, after we got back onto hwy 4, I popped the sensor back in, and drove through the beginning of the trail and was able to crawl in 4low without the IAC unplugged just the same. Maybe it just helped me learn to control the rig without the clutch a bit better. I stopped being so worried that the rig would die when the RPM dropped to around 1k.

That jerking, and sounding like its going to die or break something happens to me. I thought it all had to do with my gearing.
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #599
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have to agree with agent on this one. The guy could have moved his Hummer, but was waiting for Bebe or someone to tell him to. If I didn't shadow him and keep demanding he to move it, he wouldn't have. I asked him five times, and he wouldn't even acknowledge me. The guy was a total jerk-wad.
wait was it the guy in the hummer who helped us? or someone different?
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #600
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
wait was it the guy in the hummer who helped us? or someone different?
I wouldn't know. I had to leave and go back to camp, because you broke my Jeep too!

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.