Nor Cal Jeepers Slickrock/Deer Valley 2011 - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Nor Cal Jeepers Slickrock/Deer Valley 2011

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #571
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69 View Post
Looking into it more...why do you all care?? Let's organize 20+ offroaders...cut the gate or whatever blocking it...and offroad anyway!! And we'll tread lightly!! Occupy the forests!!
yea that will bring permanent closure.... HORRIBLE IDEA.

97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #572
RDavi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looking to join a club. Tele me about this one. Where/ when do you meet?

We call it "The Fun JEEP" for a reason, put the computer down and go have Fun!
RDavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #573
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99Josh View Post
I wish I knew about this trip I would have totally gone.
There was another group of us that went recently. We will probably go again before November.
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #574
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
There was another group of us that went recently. We will probably go again before November.
Can you post the date a week or more ahead of time? I'd love to go. But I have a fear of breaking stuff on the trail and not having the mechanical expertise and spare parts/fluids to get myself and my Jeep home. The past few times I've gone it's been with my Dad, and he trailered my Jeep with his truck so that way in case we break anything we avoid having the problem of being stranded.

What exactly should I purchase/bring? I've never been on an offroad camping trip. I've just taken day trips.
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #575
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you post the date a week or more ahead of time? I'd love to go. But I have a fear of breaking stuff on the trail and not having the mechanical expertise and spare parts/fluids to get myself and my Jeep home. The past few times I've gone it's been with my Dad, and he trailered my Jeep with his truck so that way in case we break anything we avoid having the problem of being stranded.

What exactly should I purchase/bring? I've never been on an offroad camping trip. I've just taken day trips.
Pm sent
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #576
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I might be up for this location! Next trip let me know. Thx!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #577
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My buddies and I are planning on going to slickrock. I am running a YJ: 31" MTs, have a 4 inch lift, no lockers. how bad will it be for me? I've watched a few videos of the trail, it looks like the stair case is going to be the biggest challenge for no lockers.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #578
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine just get a good spotter. The guy running in front of me had the same setup and he ran it just fine.
Unread 09-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #579
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You'll be fine just get a good spotter. The guy running in front of me had the same setup and he ran it just fine.
Hey canman, with your shafts up front did you stay with the stock spline count or did you increase?

I want to get the super 30 kit and in the future an ARB up front and R&P swap, but if I want the bigger spline count I'd need to buy it all at once, and then I can't use stock shafts as spares. Is the strength of the bigger spline super 30 so much so that it won't break?(If it's chromoly and a bigger spline count?) If not, why do they even make them?
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #580
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet, thanks for the confirmation. I just hope the Toyota guys I'm running with are able to make it up too. Some of them are only on a 2.5" lift with no lockers and IFS up front...

If they don't make it I'm going to be all day long at them for the **** they gave me for going over to the Jeep side.
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #581
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey canman, with your shafts up front did you stay with the stock spline count or did you increase?

I want to get the super 30 kit and in the future an ARB up front and R&P swap, but if I want the bigger spline count I'd need to buy it all at once, and then I can't use stock shafts as spares. Is the strength of the bigger spline super 30 so much so that it won't break?(If it's chromoly and a bigger spline count?) If not, why do they even make them?
I've got 27 spline shafts so I can share the spare parts and save space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Sweet, thanks for the confirmation. I just hope the Toyota guys I'm running with are able to make it up too. Some of them are only on a 2.5" lift with no lockers and IFS up front...

If they don't make it I'm going to be all day long at them for the **** they gave me for going over to the Jeep side.
When are you going up and do you have room for one more?
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #582
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got 27 spline shafts so I can share the spare parts and save space.

When are you going up and do you have room for one more?
Sorry Anticanman, I didn't see this post until I got back yesterday. We went up Saturday. Trail took us about 8 hours to do. We were definitely not ready for it. A couple of guys who didn't read the info we emailed them brought a stock tacoma, and 2 practically stock JK Unlimiteds. Once we got to the 'canyon' they turned back and went to a spot we scouted to camp.

Luckily there was a group of Jeepers that helped us out once we got to the slick rock descent. My buddy with his 4Runner got kinda off the trail and hung up on a boulder, and almost rolled it due to our inexperience. They saved our butts, and then just helped us out throughout the rest of the trail.

Most of what I went through, was simple. IDK if it was because I was last in line, and the toyotas had needed some rock bridges, so it made it easier for me, or the Jeep is just that much easier to get through. I'm not going to make this a Jeep vs. Toyota issue lol.

I took a wrong line leading up to the stair case, and started bouncing and got sideways. That screwed up the rest of getting through the actual stair case part. Apparently it took like 45 minutes to get through, I don't remember most of it. Worst part was no front locker to help with wheel spin, and no power steering (this was my biggest problem)

Lessons learned? Don't hop on a 6 rated trail when you should really be doing 3 rated trails, at least without experienced guides/spotters to help get through.
If those guys wouldn't have been there, we'd have more body damage (at least the toyotas, they put their sliders/bumpers to use) rolled it, or broke something and would have been stuck on the trail.

I need a front locker.

I need to get my worn shackle bushings replaced and put some boomers on and get it to flex a bit better, eventually replacing the springs.

I really 'learned' my rig. I feel like I'm 'one' with the Jeep now.

I learned you don't need to use the clutch as much as you think, in 4 Low.

I learned to pull the IAC sensor and it'll help crawling...too bad I learned this after most of the trail lol.

I need to get power steering.

We had to go back around and back up the first parts of the trail to get to the camp site, we did it at night, and we walked through everything like nothing. This was before the canyon though.

I didn't use it (thought I did) but I grabbed a smittybilt (SRC?) bumper with shackle mounts just in case I needed it.

I can say that I've been through slick rock trail, without needing to be recovered, winched, or towed, with no lockers, only a 4 inch lift, only 31's. (and no body damage! )

Unread 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #583
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You dont need a front locker for slick rock. I've done it on a 2" and 31" tires 3 times now.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #584
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly, E did it on 31's and barely any lift and he had zero problems. He made it through easier than I did. Then again, I stopped to take lots of pictures.
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #585
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

All good, I think in time I'll reevaluate that as well. The Jeepers I was talking to said to get a lunchbox locker, I think a Lock Right?

They also told me to stop using my clutch so much, as I was just going to burn it up. I didn't know what they meant at first, then after a bit more of driving I started to figure out that I didn't need to slam the clutch in every time the rig felt like it was going to die, and that I could let it out a lot faster and it'll grab just fine in 4 Low.

I'll chalk it all up to my noobness.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.