JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/)
-   -   NEW YJ owner in SD (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/new-yj-owner-sd-483860/)

Jeebs 11-11-2007 12:19 AM

NEW YJ owner in SD

Hey all!

Well, I just got my hands on a 1990 YJ from my neighbor for $400! :2thumbsup: Its in relatively good condition but sat for about a year in his garage without being started. So needless to say it needs a tune-up. I live in Poway and the reason I posted this here (as well as the YJ forum) is because I will take any help or suggestions I can get. Whether it be someone willing to help here in town or at least pointing me in the right direction as far as local shops.

Heres what I have done today:

New spark plugs
Oil, oil filter
Air filter
Fresh gas
New battery

The engine turns but does not fire. I am going to check the fuel filter and lines next. The engine is the 2.5L.

I'll be the first to admit I am not a huge wrench head but can learn quickly. I've got the hayne's book already and am using that as a guideline. Any tips or suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-Jason in Poway

JPJeeper 11-12-2007 09:37 AM

Go to the San Diego thread...

Eric, lives in Poway,

Switch is his board name...

It's the thread always on top...

EJames1226 11-12-2007 12:16 PM

The one right below this one.

PR1AWRet 11-12-2007 12:44 PM

But he will ask for YOUR help.

EJames1226 11-12-2007 12:46 PM

Im guessing his is carb'd, never worked on one of those.

Jeebs 11-12-2007 02:32 PM

It isn't carbed. I can get the engine to fire when I spray the starter fluid into the throttle body but it quickly dies so I am assuming its a fuel delivery issue. I am going to go through the lines and also check the pump.

Where in Poway are you all located? I am kinda near the Garden Rd. area, a bit farther up Poway Rd.

EJames1226 11-12-2007 03:51 PM

Im actually rancho bernardo, Right next to the dennys, on bernardo center drive, near the 15. Probably about 10 minutes from the kragen in poway.

you should PM Jbolty, he lives in cliaremont mesa, near the adult bookstore, just past cheetas, lol. He should know all about it.

Jeebs 11-12-2007 04:51 PM

I was completely wrong in what I said earlier. Its not carb'ed its TBI. I got schooled up a bit by this guy named Jeff who owns a shop in El Cajon. Its sounding more and more like the fuel pump is DOA

EJames1226 11-12-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBlue90
I was completely wrong in what I said earlier. Its not carb'ed its TBI. I got schooled up a bit by this guy named Jeff who owns a shop in El Cajon. Its sounding more and more like the fuel pump is DOA

When do you plan on changing your fuel pump? If you do it tomorow could i stop by and watch/help? Ill probably be needing to change mine soon, wanted to see whats involved in changing it.

I can bring my tools if you dont have the tools needed for some reason.

Jeebs 11-12-2007 05:37 PM

I need to find one first. The first guy I called said $250 for the pump, its on quadratec for $109. I'm hoping to do it this weekend at the latest.

EJames1226 11-12-2007 05:41 PM

Did you try kragen? They never let me down there.

JPJeeper 11-12-2007 06:38 PM

Um...

1990 6cyl YJ was carbed... 1991 was the first FI jeep mini jeep.
Unless you have a 4 banger... Then it FI...

I guess you are running a 2.5 like Eric.

EJames1226 11-12-2007 06:39 PM

How bout some pictures of this jeep already?

Jeebs 11-12-2007 07:36 PM

Yes, it is a 2.5L. I don't hear any kind of hum or anything coming from the area where the pump should be so it's either a dead pump or its not getting power. Here's hoping its power....

I cannot upload pics on here so I started a photobucket account. If the link doesn't work and you really wanna see the pics go to www.photobucket.com and search 'mybluejeep90' and it should come up.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd319/mybluejeep90/

Jeebs 11-13-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Switch1625
When do you plan on changing your fuel pump? If you do it tomorow could i stop by and watch/help? Ill probably be needing to change mine soon, wanted to see whats involved in changing it.

I can bring my tools if you dont have the tools needed for some reason.

Well, I'm not sure if I'll be changing it out today but I'll probably be pulling the tank down to test the power being supplied to the unit. Unless of course someone knows of a better/easier place to test. I need to make sure I am getting power there before I run out and grab a new one.

Anyway, you are welcome to stop on by, but like I said I may not be replacing it just yet. Gonna be in the garage all day working on it either way. Ripping interior out today....

The time now is 03:49 PM.