New to Jeep. Need help to find trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > New to Jeep. Need help to find trails

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
DashD24

Hello everyone, My name is Dash. I want to know where are good trails that I can enjoy with my friends and maybe going solo. Mostly, SoCal areas or anywhere in Southern California. Also, a great place to camp as we'll I have 92' YJ 33 inch tires with 3-4 inch lift. All stock but just got new terflex 4:01 low range. No lockers. I just add new front bumper with winch. My gears are 3.07 both side. I know it sucks but it's a slow built. Is there any place that I can wheel that does not require lockers. I am trying save money to get deep gears and lockers. I want go on trail on Feb for 1 night on weekends. Or maybe 2 nights depending where it will be. Anyone is welcome. I need make friends who have jeep or 4x4 trucks or SUV. I don't like going alone. It's always the best to go with someone. Thanks.

Last edited by DashD24; 01-31-2014 at 08:19 AM..
DashD24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

DASH!

See the thread about the 16th Annual Camp/Wheel in the El Paso Mtns.
Several trails are even 2wd, but many need 4x4 for the sand, or to get over rocks, and up the hills. We will camp in Goler Gulch at least the first nite, and perhaps if folks want, we may go over to Bonanza Gulch, and camp by one of the cabins for at least a day or two.
If you want more info, let me know, or mojavedave1@yahoo.com.
I don't know where you are coming from, but you can even go early with Dave and I on late Thursday nite. Or...I can give you directions to where we are at. We will use either FRS, or C.B. Channel 18, and usually that is how we stay connected while out on trails.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Southern Cal is a big place. Where are you located?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
DashD24

I am located Tustin.
DashD24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tierra Del Sol is less than a month away. Largest event in SoCal...
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashD24 View Post
I am located Tustin.
Put that in your signature please!

Welcome to the forum!
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Welcome! I grew up in tustin, just moved to orange a few months ago. If youve ever seen a loud *** lifted white zj, it was me.

Heres the orange county thread, i and some others usually post up our upcoming runs, and trade/sell parts, etc. Roll call oc
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Clarkthomas23

Hey Dash, and everyone else. I am somewhat new to the scene too. Just started working on a TJ. I had one about 10 years ago when I lived in Texas, but was not an avid trail rider. I've got two questions. Other than valid registration, what else do I need legally to start hitting some public trails? I was reading into possibly having to aquire an ohv green decal, but couldn't seem to gain enough information about this. If there is a thread for newbies, or if someone could shed some light, that would help me out! Second, who wants to do some riding and camping? I live in Alhambra!

Clark
Clarkthomas23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkthomas23 View Post
Hey Dash, and everyone else. I am somewhat new to the scene too. Just started working on a TJ. I had one about 10 years ago when I lived in Texas, but was not an avid trail rider. I've got two questions. Other than valid registration, what else do I need legally to start hitting some public trails? I was reading into possibly having to aquire an ohv green decal, but couldn't seem to gain enough information about this. If there is a thread for newbies, or if someone could shed some light, that would help me out! Second, who wants to do some riding and camping? I live in Alhambra!

Clark
valid reg. will do you, red and green stickers are for off hwy vehicles. As in motorcycles, quads, side by sides and things like that
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkthomas23 View Post

Clark
Welcome Clark! My in-laws live in Monterey Park so I know where your at, stuck in the city! LOL

Like whiteyj1994 said current registration is all you need for any public lands which includes and US Forest Service lands and National Parks lands.

So how far are you willing to drive to get to some trails? That will determine some of the places you might want to go to. Also what kind of camping will you be doing, tenting it or moteling it?
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Clarkthomas23

Thanks for the information, guys.
Yes Jeff, stuck in the city! And not too happy about it!! In most cases, I wouldn't want to drive more than two or three hours to get to some trails. I am looking to do some tent camping, or hammock camping. The Angeles National Forest is pretty much right in my neighborhood. Are there any good runs up there?
Once a year I hit Yosemite for a 5 or so day backpacking trip. I would also like to incorporate some riding into this!
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well in 3 hours or so you could be out here in the high desert but this it NOT the time of year for that. LOL Don't know much about the Angles NF as I don't get down that way but up here you have lots to choose from and one of my favorites is Kennedy Meadows in the Kern Plateau. Off of hwy 395 above Pearsonville, you take 9 mile canyon up and at the general store hang a left then hang a right at the stop sign and stop in at the ranger station and get a map.

Hope this helps! BTW sending you a PM.
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As Jeff has said, since I am half way in between Jeff's neighborhood, and yours, I can speak for a few trails in the Angeles Forest. Also, we have a few here just outside my home in Lake Los Angeles. ( there is NO lake!) LOL!

First there is of course lots of fire roads, and then there is the Cleghorn Trail, which goes from about the 15 freeway in the Cajon pass, to over by Silverwood lake. ( YES, there is a lake) LOL!
Then Lytle Creek has some exlporing roads, and if it is rocks you want, come creawl in my back yard!

slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Clarkthomas23

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, and very nice to meet y'all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.