New to the Bay Area (Oakland). Bad Clutch 2002TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > New to the Bay Area (Oakland). Bad Clutch 2002TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New to the Bay Area (Oakland). Bad Clutch 2002TJ

Hey guys,

So 3 weeks ago I made a trek across country from Maine... Haha, yeah Maine and relocated to the Bay Area. I teach High School Science and coach soccer basketball and lacrosse and took a position teaching out here.

Anyways, it's been the month from hell with my Jeep and things look like they are continuing...

I guess first, a little about the rig... it's a 2002 TJ X, 4.0. I have 2inch BDS suspension and 1 inch JKS BL/MML in it. I'm running 33x12.50, Currie Steering System, re-geared to 4:56's.... bumpers & rockers but no under armor yet.

K, to the irritation. I got the Jeep re-geared last summer, and two weeks before I moved out here I had to have the rear axel re-regeared because my mechanic who has been working with me and my Jeep for 3 years didn't set the lashing up correctly I was told and I ended up breaking teeth. Long story short my guy wouldn't stand behind his work so I had to repay for a regear.

Upon arriving out here the first day I went to start my Jeep my check gauges light came on and I wasn't registering oil pressure or in the temp gauge (yes there was oil in it... kinda, i'll explain)... I had had no problem getting across country, I guess i'm lucky it happened here but anyways ended up finding a good mechanic had the Jeep towed. He dropped my oil pan and ended up pulling almost 3qrts of sludge from the pan (6qrt pan). The sludge he pulled he said seemed to be remnants of cheap quaker state/penzoil.... I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic so he guessed the previous owner didn't tend very well to the oil changes/used cheap *** oil... that was another grand out of the pocket to replace the oil pump, clean her up, and rent a car for 4 days....

Now my clutch needs to be replaced... mechanic quoted me around 240 for the part, and said it'd be about a 4 hour job to replace it... I'm in the middle of a snowball and am half debating looking to trade the damn thing in for a Rubicon, I have some dealers that are willing to transfer my aftermarket parts for me... but still money wise it doesn't make the most sense, especially since I cannot find a LWB Rubicon.

Anyways, I've been here 2 weeks I have a bad clutch, I've put 2,000 into the Jeep this month already and talking to a friend that runs competition rock crawlers he directed here. I'm an absolute ******* when it comes to being mechanical, I'll be upfront with that right off, hence why I pay mechanics to do all my work. I was told replacing a clutch wasn't necessarily a hard job, just an afternoons worth of work, but again I'm a ******* and could not begin to do it.

Would anyone out here have the time or be willing to assist me in tearing the rig apart and helping me install this... assuming this is a "doable" job? I'm willing do comp for your time obviously however you see fair.

Ultimately I'm trying to save some coin but more so make a connection or two out here, I want to start wheeling out here and get back into things.

Sorry for the book. Anyone able to help or perhaps direct to guys or any clubs you know in the area?

Cheers,

Josh

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well the work you are looking at is beyond my skills, if you can not find anyone to help you I can refer you to transmission shop in Fremont. They did my D44 install, both ARB installs and my F&R regear.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
TJamie

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Josh, welcome to the Bay area. I too moved here from Maine, in 2004, so it's good to see another northeaster.

I'm afraid I don't know much about replacing a clutch, though I will gladly lend a hand if you find someone who does. I possibly have a throwout bearing issue, might need to install a new clutch in the near future.
TJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Parts and labor you are looking at ~706+tax
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
TJamie

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo98 View Post
Parts and labor you are looking at ~706+tax
How much of that is parts? I can get a new Luk clutch for ~$120 online.
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah my mechanic quoted me 640 with the new clutch running 240... where did you find the luk clutch?

2002 Inline 6 TJ-X 4.0, D30/D35 w.4:56s
2inch BDS Full Coil Suspension, Incubus 511 Rims, 33inch Mickey Thompson ATZ, Bestop HighRock Front (w/Stainless Grill Guard) and Rear Bumper, KC SlimLites, Custom "TJ" Tail Light Covers

When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of! : )
TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
TJamie

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, can't find the one I was looking at yesterday. Did find this one on eBay from a retailer with good ratings. $121 + $18 shipping.
Unread 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I have used Automotive Center of San Leandro many, many times...they own Jeeps and do honest work for honest pay...Steve is who you should talk to, 510-483-7157...good luck.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.