Moving from Virginia to the bay area- Looking for a place to live. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Moving from Virginia to the bay area- Looking for a place to live.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Moving from Virginia to the bay area- Looking for a place to live.

Hey guys, my name is Rich, I know i just joined this site, but seeing as i'm moving to the Bay area I thought i would get in touch and see how it is out there. I will be working in the union city area. So im not sure what city i should move to. I have been out to norcal a few times and liked it. I have been a east coast guy all my life. I grew up in a small NY town of about 10,000 people, very small town with 3 stoplights. 2hours north of the NYC, In other words, the sticks. I did a lot of outdoors stuff, like fishing, hiking, mountan biking, snowboarding, and occasionally some hunting haha I then had a chance to move to Virginia Beach. It was nice for a bit, it was nice living by the beach, and it was especially nice to be in a larger city. I have been out to the bay a few times and its awesome, It reminds me the terrain NY. But without the winters. I have always wanted to live out west, and I work with Safelite and am able to transfer. I feel like why not try the west coast, sure it expensive but I have a company i'm with the will transfer me. So why not?
I was planning on moving out with a friend, but she had some family issues and is unable to move. Now my options are to go out alone and barely make it by myself. I would much rather have a roommate so i'm able to live a little more comfortable. So does anyone need a roommate or can anyone suggest a reasonable area to live in that is in commuting distance of Union City. Im planning on coming out there at the end of march early april to find a place to live and hopefully meet with some potential roommates.A little about me: So I figure, why not try it out. Im a quiet Single, 27 and have no kids. Im looking foward to living in a even bigger city. I like to go out every now and then, Im not into clubs and such, just appreciate a nice bar selection. Ideally i would like to live out the outskirts of a city, a nice small house with a garage possibly, I dont really like the idea of living in say SF for example where parking is very tight. (im not sure how the surrounding cities area.) I dont want to live in the slums, but I cant afford to live in the nicer parts. So im not sure what area is right for me. I was looking at Berkley, but i dont want a heavy commute everyday.
I just got a stock 2000 XJ cherokee. So i should be on here looking for some help when i get started modifying it.

Thank you very much,
-Rich

RichK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Norcal. Although I live in the Sacramento area, and not the bay area, I can tell you that Union City has a "Bart" station. That can help you with your commute. I can't help you with neighborhoods. But I'm sure you will have sticker shock, when it comes to home prices.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
hawk3ye
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Rich,
Unfortunately I can't help you with the roommate situation but I can give some advise.
I live out in Dublin and grew up around there, it's about 30 minutes away but I know Union City it can be a rough area to live in unless you know the right neighborhoods (same with Fremont and Hayward, no offense to anyone from that area!). Berkeley is cool, it's a pretty big college town with lots of cheap living places - I'm not sure about the commute, it "might" go against traffic so it may not be too bad.

I know when I was looking for a place with roommates, the valley area of San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton, and Livermore had quite a few townhouses available on Craigslist.org If you're looking for roommates I would suggest finding a place in those cities first since they're pretty decent places to live. At least with a townhouse you should have a garage with use for work on your jeep as well...apartment complexes out here tend to frown on auto work.

When you're settled in and want to do some wheeling, look up the jeep group called Bay Area and Norcal Region (linked in my profile) and come hang out.

PM me if you have any other questions and I'll send you my email.

Bay Area JP Club
hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well, I've grown up in Fremont and currently work in Union City and pretty much agree with what's been said. The cities below all are connected to bart, which is an easy ride to SF if you need to go. From south to north
Milpitas: ok area, can be nice or sketchy depending on the area, and it's next to a land fill and can smell like garbage on the summer days. About 10-15 minutes from Union City depending on the time and the traffic
Fremont: pretty mellow, except for the northern area, next to Union City. Expensive in the other areas.
Hayward & Union City: like it's been said, some parts are rough and the further north you go (towards Oakland) it gets worse.
Oakland: it blows goats, don't even bother
Berkley: college town, filled with hippies, left overs from the 60's, and tree huggers.
Dublin/Pleasiton: very nice, close to bart, but if you have to drive the traffic sucks.

On the flip side, you've got Hollister Hills OHV about an hour away, the Rubicon about 3 hours away (plus snowboarding & skiing in the winter), Santa Cruz (great surfing can be had but can be very localized depending on the break).
Hope this helps and if you have more questions, post them up or send me a pm
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will be driving to and from work. They let us take our vans home. So no bart for me.
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Mark5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the bay area!
i have a co worker who owns a house in Fremont. i
think he still has a room for rent.
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
welcome to the bay area!
i have a co worker who owns a house in Fremont. i
think he still has a room for rent.
Pleas let me know. That would be awesome even if its only for a month or two so I can get settled and find a place.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Welcome to Norcal. Although I live in the Sacramento area, and not the bay area, I can tell you that Union City has a "Bart" station. That can help you with your commute. I can't help you with neighborhoods. But I'm sure you will have sticker shock, when it comes to home prices.
Me thinks Ben said it best! and I'm not from the bay area. Central valley for me. But here and there is like night and day for prices. Good luck in your search! Bay area is awesome, but a mighty big area up there. Traffic (IMHO) is a nightmare! But then agian, I'm used to the central valley life! lol.
Again, good luck!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Mark5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

richk, check with my co worker this morning he already rented out the room.
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
richk, check with my co worker this morning he already rented out the room.
Dang that sucks!
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

anyone else?
Unread 03-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

I live in Lafayette, which is probably ~30-40 minutes or so from Union City. Great place to live but its pretty expensive. A very safe area with little to no crime at all.

I go to school in Santa Clara at Santa Clara University, and I love the area around the school and in the surrounding area. It's really safe, and you can find a nice place to live for a decent price. ~25-30 minutes from Union City. Quick access to places like Santa Cruz, and its about 3.5 hours from Kirkwood Ski Resort.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFox21 View Post
I live in Lafayette, which is probably ~30-40 minutes or so from Union City. Great place to live but its pretty expensive. A very safe area with little to no crime at all.

I go to school in Santa Clara at Santa Clara University, and I love the area around the school and in the surrounding area. It's really safe, and you can find a nice place to live for a decent price. ~25-30 minutes from Union City. Quick access to places like Santa Cruz, and its about 3.5 hours from Kirkwood Ski Resort.
I will definitely look into santa cruz, 25-30 minutes is during commuting hours?
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you're going to work in Union City, the commute from Santa Cruz will suck hard. I live in Campbell, which is close to the Santa Cruz mountains, and traffic from UC to Campbell/San Jose takes an hour if you leave UC right at 5 pm. At commute time, add another 45-60 minutes to get to Santa Cruz from San Jose.
I've done the past commute for the past 5 yrs. I work from 7:30 am to 4pm in order to miss the traffic because at the peak commute time, you're looking at an hours worth of sitting in your car (both ways). If there's no traffic, then yeah, San Jose to UC is 25-30 minutes
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
RichK
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I guess i should just stick to union city and fremont. huh
Im still kinda sketchy on the finding a craigslist roomate. And im going to have a jeep and a full size chevy van. That should be fun trying to find parking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.