Moving to Simi Valley from Maryland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Moving to Simi Valley from Maryland

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Topless617
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moving to Simi Valley from Maryland

I'm moving to the Moorpark/ Simi Valley area in the beginning of August from Maryland. Looking for any jeep clubs in the area, fellow jeepers, and any local trails if there are any.

Topless617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I run with Pt Mugu 4X4 Club, they meet in Camarillo Monthly and Lockwood Valley trail is their adopt a trail. It is about an hour from Simi in the Los Padres. There are a few other clubs in the Simi area but not sure of their central meeting places.
As for local wheeling:
1 hour drive from Simi
*Hungry Valley OHV
*Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail - Los Padres
*Rowher Flats OHV area
*Los Padres Trails - BC109, Salt Creek, etc
1-3 hour drive
*Calico
* Big Bear
*Johnson Valley
* Couger Buttes
* Pismo
3-5 Hour
* Ocatillo Wells/Truckhaven

This is just off the top of my head, I am sure I missed some.

Good luck with your move. Feel free to pm me if you need any assistance.
Xjman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Topless617
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks! I'll be heading out in a week.

How strict are CA laws on jeeps? Like getting it inspected and the whole nine yards?
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Off road you need muffler, lights, and seat belts, shoulder belts, and all seats must be inside the vehicle. On road you must be road worthy, and have legal lights, windshield, wipers, horn, mufflers/catalytic, seats and belts. Your lights need to be not glaring in traffic, and drive like a normal human bean.
As an out of state vehicle, you won't be pulled over for inspections unless you act up, or do something dangerous.
Remember too, it is HOT here, so drink your water, and stay hydrated. Some trails are being monitored for use now, as we are so dry and a fire danger is so high. NO SMOKING in open vehicles, or while moving in the forest, as again we are so dry, and stuff. I just returned from the southern Sierra's, and ALL the campgrounds were limited to Propane stoves only! NO charcoal, or NO open camp fires! You even need a fire permit now for propane stoves, and you can only camp in developed areas.
A fire permit is free, and you can get one at any forest office, or many campground hosts have them.

Carry water for drinking when off road, as well as some basic first aid stuff. Some other stuff you may want are; Tow strap, jumpers, flash lights, basic tools, duct tape, and of course.....common sense. It is easy to get quite a long ways from the nearest cell signal, and many guys use CB off road to keep in touch.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Topless617
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! That was a lot of useful information!

Guess my main concern is getting my jeep street legal or ready. I have to gain California residency for next years school year. And that would involve getting a Cali license plate. How do inspections and all that kinda stuff go?
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
motodude248
2002 WJ 

Not too bad to get CA license plate. When I bought my WJ it was registered in Texas. I took it to AAA and paid for CA registration. I showed the lady a Smog certificate that was done that week and then she took my VIN and did a quick walk around. Got my CA license from her once we went back inside after the walk around.

What school are you going to be going to. I just graduates from Cal State Northridge this year. It's only like 15-20 min away from Simi.
motodude248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Topless617
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As far as like my lift and tires and stuff wont cause a problem?
I have a 2" suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 33" tires that stick out past the fenders (how much I am unsure of). None of that setup Gould cause a problem correct?
I'm gonna be going to Moorpark College for the Exotic Animal Training and Management Program.
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
motodude248
2002 WJ 

Depending on how far the tires stick out, you might be need to fab up some mud flaps. From what it sounds like you should be fine though. I had a similar setup on my old YJ and had no issues. I ran with no front fender flares for awhile and never got pulled over or harassed.
motodude248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless617 View Post
As far as like my lift and tires and stuff wont cause a problem?
I have a 2" suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 33" tires that stick out past the fenders (how much I am unsure of). None of that setup Gould cause a problem correct?
I'm gonna be going to Moorpark College for the Exotic Animal Training and Management Program.
I grew up in Thousand Oaks which is about 15 minutes for Simi and Moorpark. My folks still live there. Very nice area.

Funny you should mention the Exotic Animal Training. I took the intro course 'animal behavior' back in the early 90's. I think it was 92. Really neat course, though I was somewhat unfocused back then. I ended up dropping the course near the deadline after failing to train my rats (procrastinated too long).

I took a few courses there. It was funny hearing lions roar around feeding time. Catches you off guard at first.

For wheeling, Big Bear is one of the nicest areas to wheel. Probably close to 2 hours from Simi.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.