Mammoth , Mono County , Inyo National Forest ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Mammoth , Mono County , Inyo National Forest ???

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mammoth , Mono County , Inyo National Forest ???

I can't find any info on Mammoth , Mono County , Inyo National Forest trails any where...

I'm going up this june and am trying to find trail info.

I'll be going up this year in my Jeep TJ . Butt I would like to do some Dual Sporting in the future too..

Any Help??

Unread 01-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

PM Bishop_Creek on here, he knows that area. i did a trail out of bishop once, i believe it was 6S02, that was pretty cool. i took it a few miles back into the hills as far as i could before i hit snow and rocky areas that i didnt want to go through alone. the trail took you through a valley between some mountains and you cross a creek a few times. theres some beautiful land up there. i've seen pictures of trails that bring you to absolutely gorgeous lakes that nobody really goes to, but i cant remember where. sorry i couldnt be more help, but im sure Bishop_Creek could.
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hav'nt been over that way in quite some time, but I think at the least you may want to pick up an Inyo National forest map, or other connecting BLM/forest maps, it would show any trails currently open or still in use. Maybe google up some info on ghost towns and/or minings sites in the area. Those can make for some good exploring/wheeling.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting lots of hits on the Dirtbike forums butt non here.

I was hoping to get a jeepers point of view .
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i did upper laurel lakes just north of convict lake. look it up its a bad *** 4x4 easy moderate trail with a beautiful golden trout lake at the top. the trails on the valley floor leading to the trail head you can go fast on.

TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great!
I've heard a lot about this trail.
Its close to town and sounds like the perfect trail.

I was hoping to hear from a Jeeper not dirtbike guy.
Now I have..

Can I make it up in a stock TJ 4.0 automatic with 31's ?
How long will it take to get up and back??

My offroad experience consists of riding dirtbikes for over 25 years and driving offroad to get their , I've driven a 2 wheel drive pickup with bike in the back places some would use 4 wheel drive to go..
Hell I've towed a fifth wheel toy hauler places some would need a 4x4...
Plus I had a Jeep a couple years in the late 1990's... Did some wheeling in Big Bear - Gorman .
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you should be fine on 31s, might be a couple spots you will want to slow down for but for the most parts its an easy BEAUTIFUL trail. its been a couple years so the trail may have changed but its a lot of fun. the end of the trail has some VERY hair pin turns on ledges but shouldnt be a problem. more nerve racking then anything. 1 hour plus each way and we stayed at the lake for a few hours catching golden trout.
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just Got Back

Mammoth was great I did Laurel lakes. It was pretty easy with my new 31" Treadwright guard dogs.

I don't want to say it was very easy butt it was not too hard for me...

It was kind of rough , very exiting , a LOT off fun . Butt snowed over at the top.

San Joaquin Ridge was closed do to snow..... They are still skiing up there....

There are tons of trails around town most are easy trails with a few very steeps fun climbs.

Since I would only have the early morning hours before everybody got up , I couldn't go too far from town .
p6270015.jpg   p6270021.jpg   p6280055.jpg   p6280094.jpg  
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gorgeous area. Cool pictures. I'll try to get some this weekend and post them up here too if you don't mind.
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks that last one is right above town on town overlook trail down from A10.

No prob post away....
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Laurel Lake was still impassible. Another couple weeks and it should be doable. Amazing views from the trail though. I'll put pics up tomorrow.
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The same spot your picture was from. A little less snow but still not passible. Maybe in another couple weeks.
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In the picks it looks like you can make it.
Butt when your are there you know better.

Cool pics!
Did you go anywhere else?
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #14
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

With only 2 1/2 - 3 feet of exposed trail, and a pretty gnarly side slope with all that snow, there's no way I was going to try it!

No we didn't do any other trails, but the hot springs are always fun!
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yea no way, that looks pretty sketchy. ive been there and thats a long drop....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.