Low Rangers 4WDC - new club - San Jose,Ca - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Low Rangers 4WDC - new club - San Jose,Ca

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

Sorry I haven't checked this forum in a while. The club is coming along nicely. Our meeting location has changed, so shoot me an email for more info.

rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

pcmasten, sent PM but your box is full

pdangerd, pm sent

thanks for your interest, hope to see you guys at the next meeting
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
pcmasten
2009 JK Wrangler 

cleaned up my mailbox, please resend. Thx
pcmasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for coming out Chris, nice to meet you and Patty.
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

Our meeting is this thursday night 7pm. Email me for more info.
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

We are having our annual Meet & greet this sunday in Los Gatos at Blossom Hill Park from 10-2pm. feel free to come out and see what we're about.
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
franklin3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New here and I'm looking for help with an engine/tranny conversion on my 2000 wrangler. I just got a line on a 2010 camaro engine and auto tranny I'm thinking about it but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have about settled on SBC but haven;t decided which one or who to talk to about rebuilding if I get one that has a lot of miles.
Anyone done a conversion?
DIY or farm it out?
What powertrain?
franklin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #23
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin3 View Post
New here and I'm looking for help with an engine/tranny conversion on my 2000 wrangler. I just got a line on a 2010 camaro engine and auto tranny I'm thinking about it but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have about settled on SBC but haven;t decided which one or who to talk to about rebuilding if I get one that has a lot of miles.
Anyone done a conversion?
DIY or farm it out?
What powertrain?
It's a doable swap but a truck engine would be a better choice. It'll have more low end torque which in a wheeler is a plus. The tranny is a 2wd unit and will not be useable, to my knowledge. Give Pacific Fabrication a call 408-250-1772 they are probably the most experienced LS engine swap shop in Nor-Cal. Kevin or Jason will be able to answer all your questions.
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
franklin3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

rckjeep thanks for the tip I sent them an email.
Unread 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

searched for you guys on facebook and couldnt find. I usually meet up with other guys on thursdays but give me info, always willing to meet new offroad folks.
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #26
franklin3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I went in to PF shop and met Kevin and Jason the other day. They have a 05 TJ getting a transplant from one of them E Rod Gm performance center engines. Wow nice setup.
Heres the kicker though, getting that smog certificate!
I have been researching the heck out of this and I am awaiting a call back from the BAR referee here in town it's been 24hrs no call yet. The rules appear to be black and white and so long as you follow them you should be fine. But there are some real issues to overcome before I start the build. I wan to tbe sure that I can get my BAR tag herfe in Kalistan without doing unplanned work to the project. So long as I use a caliornia certified OBD II light truck engine and tranny that is 2000 or newer AND I maintain the original chassis emisions as well as the new donor engine/tranny emissions setup. I should be okay to get certified. E Rod is only BAR approved when transplanted into 1995 or older jeeps. Looks like I'm going to ask the boys at PF to build and install a light truck late model gm 5.3 L7 with an L60e tranny.
A mild 3" lift kit some flatty fenders. I will try and live with that for a year and then look into some new axle/diffferential systems.
California CARB requirements suck!
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
franklin3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I spent about an hour on the phone with the local BAR referee.
Some things he was able to clarify for me.
Other things I thought I was clear on he managed to confuse me.
I have to say I have been real positive about the swap until this phone call.
The OBD II compliance looks like it may be unattainable and if it can be done I am not certain how or where to look for solutions.
Basically here is the stickler.
1. After his visual inspection of the swap the referee will plug into the OBD II connector and search various systems for function. All systems searched must function normal for the donor yr. model and no reprogramming of the ECM/PCM is allowed.
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #28
franklin3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LOng story short.
Living in Californistan it is not possible to do a late model engine transplant into an OBD II california vehicle.................... unless your bank account has at least six zeroes in the balance column........Mine doesn't. Therefore
I have relented, I surrender, I quit! I am having the pig oil burning gas guzzling 4.0 rebuilt and the same with the tranny. Took it into the shop and gave the man my money today.
Cost will be about the same as it would if I were able to do a GM conversion but will end up with way less hp and result in the same inefficient fuel consumption.
But it will be reliable and meet my needs for minor offroad use.
If I can get rich I may yet buy myself a smog exempt jeep model some day and build it how I want to without big brother dictating my every option.
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You guys should post up some of your guidelines for joining the club. I was surprised at how organized this group was when I went to my first meeting.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp
You guys should post up some of your guidelines for joining the club. I was surprised at how organized this group was when I went to my first meeting.
There's guidelines? Boooo. I'm still trying to find their Facebook.
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.