Lost Coast Trail 8/14 or 8/15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Lost Coast Trail 8/14 or 8/15

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lost Coast Trail 8/14 or 8/15

Looks like I'm camping in Mendocino this weekend. I'm thinking of driving up the coast and hitting the Lost Coast Trail one of the days. I hear it's an easy trail...more of a scienic dirt road. Stock rigs should have no problem.

Anyone interested in going with?
Anyone checked out the area recently?

NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCon View Post
Looks like I'm camping in Mendocino this weekend. I'm thinking of driving up the coast and hitting the Lost Coast Trail one of the days. I hear it's an easy trail...more of a scienic dirt road. Stock rigs should have no problem.

Anyone interested in going with?
Anyone checked out the area recently?
A friend of mine has family up there and went to school at Humboldt state, he says there's LOTS of areas you can find in the Lost Coast area that are pretty wicked and off the beaten path.

I can maybe talk him in to making a camping trip this weekend, he always says he wants to run up there

If you're in no hurry on your way home, you should make the drive down Highway 1 from the Ft Bragg area south, it's a beautiful drive and the Sonoma Coast state beaches are pretty nice
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, best be careful where ya wheel off the beaten path. Make sure ya don't drive into the wrong kind of 'greener' pasture. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanYj View Post
If you're in no hurry on your way home, you should make the drive down Highway 1 from the Ft Bragg area south, it's a beautiful drive and the Sonoma Coast state beaches are pretty nice
A few years ago befoe I had the Jeep I took my WRX with every bolt on I could find up and down hwy 1 from San Fran to Mendocino. It was a wild ride making the GF car sick never a good idea.

I've wanted to do the Lost Coast Trail for a few years now, but I'm not going to make the run up there from Sacramento just for it.

I'll stick to the beaten path...cause as much as I like green pasteurs I don't want to get shot at.
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
carsonvogt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm actually going to be up there around that time. Anyone know of any good/descent campsites near Scotia?
Survivalist Club Member #26
carsonvogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

just south of Scotia on the ocean is Usal Creek campgrounds. A pretty remote, generally less populated place to camp and you are right on the ocean. Not much wheeling wise other than driving on the beach...last time I was up there I had to winch out a couple of kids who got their Dad's pickup stuck in the soft sand during LOW tide! They showed up to our campsite about midnight a little frazzled as the waves were getting closer and closer...but, the scenery is gorgeous and if your are lucky will get to see the Tule elk that roam the area...definately worth a night or two...fishing not bad either...here is a link with some photos of the area (I have no idea who the people are in the pictures):

Usal Road

and here is a better link to the area you are going to:

Sinkyone Wilderness SP

have fun!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Usal rd looks like the route I'll be taki. Driving down to the beach should be fun. I'll be camping at MacKerricher State Park Friday-Sunday. I've been looking for other trails in the area, but haven't found much.

Anyone know of any more challenging terrain in the area other than Usal Rd?
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

North of the Usal campsite there is supposed to be better terrain to get into trouble with, but I have not been there and I don't think it is anything much relative to the Sierras...try and camp at Usal campgrounds, it really is worth it...I will hunt around and try to find the terrain I am referring to and post it up here...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

contact these guys, they should be able to direct you to a nice spot or two...

Lost Coast 4X4:Humboldt County's Premier Off Road Club
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The wife and I took Usal road into Shelter Cove. Nice ride, very scenic. trail is easy to moderate. Stay on the beaten path though. If you have time when you make it to Shelter Cove, take the trail on to Ferndale. Long ride but very nice scenery.
p1020087.jpg   p1020131.jpg   p1020121.jpg   p1020192.jpg  

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great pics!
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCon View Post
Great pics!
Did you get a chance to take Usal?

www.norcal-jeeps.com
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That's the road I took from Hwy1 15 miles or so North of Ft Bragg. Drove on the sand at Usal Beach, watched Elk at Usal Campground, then continued on to Shelter cove. Went inland from there heading South toward Ft Bragg. Stopped and went swimming in the Snake River(I think) and drove along the river. I've got some pictures to upload, but my computer at home is having problems. Usal rd had just been graded and it was smooth sailing most of the way. There was some heavy dust along some parts of the road.
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see the road is decent. Planning to head up 101 to Ferndale and take the Kings Range trail south into Shelter Cove and then go south via Usal to Fort Bragg. Haven't taken it heading south before. The pics I added earlier was heading north towards Shelter Cove.

www.norcal-jeeps.com
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

any idea if dogs are allowed at any camping spots on lost coast road?

Im thinking of going soon.
EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.