los angeles to vegas overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > los angeles to vegas overland

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
artoy
1980 CJ7 

los angeles to vegas overland

has anyone done this?
Ive been looking for routes to do the trip but havent had too much luck.
I realize that the whole trip isnt possible entirely off road, but i want to off road as much of the trip as possible. I plan on carrying enough fuel, food, water and camping gear to do the whole trip out of my jeep so i dont need to be near highways or anything.

artoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Xjman1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Could you spur off the Mojave Road trail in reverse?
Xjman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
artoy
1980 CJ7 

Yea that's what I was thinking... I just got to figure out how to get to mojave road from la
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Mojave Rd will send you towards Laughlin, NV. Not Vegas. You'd be on the Mojave Preserve which is very scenic with plenty of points of interest but theres nothing hardcore about the trail. I just ran a 85 mile section of it going to Laughlin a few weeks ago.

If you want a long off road drive I'd suggest starting in Lucerne Valley and cutting across Johnson Valley diagonally from the Southwest to the Northeast. I've encountered some good off roading out there. From there you'd end up in the small town of Ludlow on the I-40. From Ludlow you could go directly North and pickup the Mojave Trail going East for a bit. Then when you hit Kelbaber Rd you could cut south a few miles and pick up Aiken Mine Rd. A point of interest on the Aiken Mine Rd is the Lava Tubes. Once your at the old mine you continue east inline with where you entered the mine ( North side of the gravelly section). That'll take you through a little old ranch and through a thick Joshua Tree forest. Where you come out on Cima Rd you can see I-15 to your left. Theres a memorial near there and some awesome looking rock formations.

From there to continue off road I'd need to look at the maps for you. You can dry camp anywhere out there but if you want something with actual campgrounds let me know and I can change this route around some for you.

Crossing Johnson Valley the way Im talking about, completely offroad, will be a long day. At least the way I went it was. I got in to some pretty gnarly off roading, I could of bypassed the hard stuff and shortening the trip some but we were having to much fun.

This route, you won't see many, if any people except for when you pull in to Ludlow. Ludlow would be a fuel stop. From there if you needed another fuel stop you'd have to cut north to Baker when you come out on Kelbaker Rd. Then you could just double back and pick up Aiken Mine Rd and continue on.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a shorter off road experience mixed with some water crossings let me know. You could hit the dirt in Afton Canyon off I-15 between Barstow and Baker. Right now the water is probably low, maybe 30"'s deep because of the lack of rain. I have seen the water crossings as deep as 40"'s though.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
artoy
1980 CJ7 

That sound perfect. Could it be done in four days? I drive a cj7 on 32s no lockers, would I be able to do it?
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoy
That sound perfect. Could it be done in four days? I drive a cj7 on 32s no lockers, would I be able to do it?
Yeah no problem. I'm thinking two days, just depends on how fast you'll be moving.
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
artoy
1980 CJ7 

Dude thank you so much. I'm looking at maps right now and this looks totally doable.
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoy
Dude thank you so much. I'm looking at maps right now and this looks totally doable.
No problem, I think I enjoy crossing the desert like that more then running trails. I was trying to find you a route after you get to Cima Rd but it looks like you'd have to go pretty far south?
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
brian243
2011 JK Wrangler 

Look for the power line roads.
brian243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.