Looking for someone who is real familiar with XJ's and the 4.0 engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Looking for someone who is real familiar with XJ's and the 4.0 engine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Cargo636

Xj Looking for someone who is real familiar with XJ's and the 4.0 engine

Hello there,

I'm looking for someone who would be able to come to me and diagnose some issues with my jeep (its a '88 XJ). I'm really looking to getting it drivable so I can take it out offroading with out worrying about the engine. Im looking for someone with knowledge who can point me in the right direction before spending a bunch of money on the wrong problem.

It seems to have a very high level of valve cover pressure and is blowing oil out of the valve cover gasket. The previous owner said it had blow by but I'm not sure if that's really the case.

If there is anyone out there that would be willing to help me out I would gladly pay for your time and if its something you might be able to fix maybe we can work that out as well.

I'm in the Sunland/Tujunga area.

Thanks in advance,
Paul H.

Cargo636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well the first thing I would do is start checking out the vacume lines for the PCV valve to see if they are plugged up and maybe even replace the PCV valve. Check out any lines that go to/from the engine.
Then if you find nothing post up your results and ask for help again.
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
jeep3000gt
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It maybe excessive blow by. You can test that yourself. Harbor freight has a decent compression tester and leak down tester.

Where in California are you? I'm not an expert on the 4.0 but I do all the repairs on my jeep and cars and if u live close ill be willing to see if I can help u. No charge! Lol gotta help other jeepers out.
jeep3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Cargo636

Well im in sunland. It's near the 118 and 210.
Cargo636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

How does the vehicle run? Smooth, or shakey? Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them? Any smoke coming out of the tail pipe?
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.