Looking for Calico info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Looking for Calico info

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
mattgray2702

Looking for Calico info

I am familiar with the named trails at Calico (Doran, Odessa, Phillips, Mule Canyon and so on). What I am wondering is if anyone has been on the trails around Wall Street canyon. A couple of years ago, I was on the trail that connects the Wall Street Overlook area with the Doran trail (near Bismark mine). There was a large wash out on that trail at the time. Has it gotten any better recently?

Also, looking on Bing/Google maps, I see lot of trails just north and west of the Wall Street overlook. Are these passable? Challenging? One of them is here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Of course I can go take a look when I am out there in a couple of weeks, but I will be with a group of 9 or 10 Jeeps and want to avoid turning around too many times in a dead end.

Finally, are there any other moderate to difficult trails in other parts of Calico worth trying? Just trying to see some different areas than the usual Doran/Odessa/Philips area.

Thanks in advance!

mattgray2702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgray2702
I am familiar with the named trails at Calico (Doran, Odessa, Phillips, Mule Canyon and so on). What I am wondering is if anyone has been on the trails around Wall Street canyon. A couple of years ago, I was on the trail that connects the Wall Street Overlook area with the Doran trail (near Bismark mine). There was a large wash out on that trail at the time. Has it gotten any better recently? Also, looking on Bing/Google maps, I see lot of trails just north and west of the Wall Street overlook. Are these passable? Challenging? One of them is here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2%B057'59.6%22N+116%C2%B052'23.8%22W/@34.9660641,-116.8738221,1691m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 Of course I can go take a look when I am out there in a couple of weeks, but I will be with a group of 9 or 10 Jeeps and want to avoid turning around too many times in a dead end. Finally, are there any other moderate to difficult trails in other parts of Calico worth trying? Just trying to see some different areas than the usual Doran/Odessa/Philips area. Thanks in advance!

Wall Street over look is the trail that dead ends at the big water fall , right? How long has it been since you've been there? I think the wash area your talking about is a regular route we take to the overlook. If we're talking about the same spot?

If it's the same spot, where you turn left to go to the big waterfall dead end. If you turn right and go just a little ways there's a uphill trail to the left before you get to the narrow passage. And further north I found a trail with a tight squeeze, probably to narrow for a 4 door JK? I also found another interesting spot near there that has a interesting waterfall, it has a little cave under it, I don't think the cave would be a problem, should be able to straddle it, but this waterfall has a hard left turn going up it. I saw no tire tracks at all where I'm talking about. Both these trails would lead you back out to the trail that will take you by the rock cabin, or back to Wall Street overlook. Last trip out there I spent the first day checking a few different canyons. There's a ton of possible trails, just have to take the time to explore and map them out.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
mattgray2702

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have really explored that area.

The washed out trail I was talking about is the one that goes from Doran directly to the Wall Street Overlook area (the dead end with the big waterfall). I was last there about a year and a half ago. It is right about here:

3457'57.2"N 11652'04.5"W

It's hard to tell from the satellite map, but I think the first trail you are suggesting might be here (the one "If you turn right and go just a little ways there's a uphill trail to the left before you get to the narrow passage").

34.965835, -116.871132
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that's the wash, it's beaten down pretty good now. Just beyond the wash is a waterfall also. Both spots are fun, and not that difficult.

And yes you marked the start of the trail before the narrow passage. Directly north of where that trail drops you back onto the wall street trail is a couple more. I can see the one that I said 4 door JK's probably wouldn't make it through, just not sure how to mark it on the map for you. You can see the trail real well, it cuts off in a left curve off the wall street trail and curves to the right at first and the goes directly north.
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
mattgray2702

Thanks again. We will have a mix of jeeps with 32's to 37's with 2 JK 4-doors. This area sounds like a good challenge.

To mark maps like I did, just find the thing you want to mark in Google satellite view. Single click the mouse where the pin should go. Up in the left corner there will be a search box that will say something like "San Bernadino, CA" with some map coordinates. Just click on those coordinates and it will drop a pin on that spot. Then you can copy the URL and paste it somewhere else (like here!). This is what my screen looks like after I click a spot on the map. Then just click where the yellow highlight is.
capture.jpg

Unread 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
mattgray2702

After looking again at the first trail you told me about, I see there are might be two ways to go off Wall Street Canyon from that point I marked. Which one were you talking about? Here is a map with the two trails marked. I thought you meant the one with the red dot since it connects back to Wall Street Canyon. The other one looks interesting too, but takes you away from Wall Street.
capture.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
After looking again at the first trail you told me about, I see there are might be two ways to go off Wall Street Canyon from that point I marked. Which one were you talking about? Here is a map with the two trails marked. I thought you meant the one with the red dot since it connects back to Wall Street Canyon. The other one looks interesting too, but takes you away from Wall Street.
The one without the yellow. The other two trails that I was talking about are even further north of here. There's some curves on Wall Street canyon trail just north of this. One of the trail start in those curves and if you look at the map it shows going into a rough looking canyon and then hooking back up with a road.
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

When are you guys going out there?
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
mattgray2702

We are going the weekend of the 28th. Going to dry camp somewhere off Odessa or Mule Canyon.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We are going the weekend of the 28th. Going to dry camp somewhere off Odessa or Mule Canyon.
March, yeah we will be there also. That's the weekend of MJR's IDTT gathering.
Unread 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
mattgray2702

Cool. Maybe we will see you guys. If not have fun! We will check out those trails on Saturday in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.