Just got pulled over in fullerton CA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Just got pulled over in fullerton CA

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last fix it ticket I had was $10.00 (headlight out) about 10 yrs ago. I installed the light and got the ticket signed off, there was no fine involved at that point. Just drive it to another police station (different city) and tell them you just installed the fender flairs. They'll sign it off for you. If you get it signed off you probably wont have to pay any fine? Worst case scenario the officer says you need wider flairs, come back when you get some. Good Luck.

Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

the officer told me they would not charge me for a sign off if i went to the fullerton PD, rather than another cities PD.

what happens if they aren't satisfied with my "fixing"? I wonder if they try and charge you more if you have to come back twice.
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg
the officer told me they would not charge me for a sign off if i went to the fullerton PD, rather than another cities PD.

what happens if they aren't satisfied with my "fixing"? I wonder if they try and charge you more if you have to come back twice.
I doubt they'll charge more. I'm pretty sure they'll tell you to fix it again and then come back and get it signed off. Don't let it stress you out. Also don't volunteer any information like your now a CA resident. That cop may have stopped you just because he thought you wouldn't be in CA long enough to argue the point. Easy to pic on.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i thought about that after i said it lol. oh well.
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #20
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When do you have to have it signed off by? By the letter of the law, yes those are illegal. I've posted the section a bazillion times, but basically you have to have fenders, flaps, etc. that extend out at least as far as the width of the tire.

Get a set of mudflaps and get it signed off. I'd sign it off for you but don't imagine you're gonna drive all the way up here.

BTW, I'd never write that, on that one from FL probably, but not yours.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Just make sure you do take care of it.

I had an incident where i receive a fix-it ticket for not displaying my license plate, back when I had purchased the WJ. Well, within days I had it fixed and signed off. I then stuffed the signed of fix-it ticket in my glove box and forgot all about it. Months later I was in Baghdad trying to fix this because the fin had increased by 700 fold, I had to dish out $700 bucks on a fix it ticket.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
When do you have to have it signed off by? By the letter of the law, yes those are illegal. I've posted the section a bazillion times, but basically you have to have fenders, flaps, etc. that extend out at least as far as the width of the tire.

Get a set of mudflaps and get it signed off. I'd sign it off for you but don't imagine you're gonna drive all the way up here.

BTW, I'd never write that, on that one from FL probably, but not yours.
by february 16th.

i'm just going to rig up some type of flappage, and take it in next week before i forget.

I'm still kind of confused on the whole matter though... Jeeps never came with any type of mudflaps to begin with, and the fenders only go so far down. are they wanting people to install aftermarket mudflaps that extend lower, or would a set of flat fenders that extend to the edge of the tire suffice (6" metalcloaks etc)? I guess what i'm trying to say is, are you supposed to have all tread covered when looking at it from behind, or from the top?
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
mbybee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could always just drive over to the PD and ask. I got a 'tint ticket' driving through California (for non-tinted windows, the punk), and when I stopped by the PD, they just signed off on it.

Didn't cost me anything.
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Just make sure you do take care of it.

I had an incident where i receive a fix-it ticket for not displaying my license plate, back when I had purchased the WJ. Well, within days I had it fixed and signed off. I then stuffed the signed of fix-it ticket in my glove box and forgot all about it. Months later I was in Baghdad trying to fix this because the fin had increased by 700 fold, I had to dish out $700 bucks on a fix it ticket.
Similar story here. I had a fixit ticket for my registration (I simply just forgot to renew my registration). I renwed the registration and got it signed off. Sent in the sign off to the court and thought I was all good. I guess I forgot to pay the $10 or whatever you are supposed to send in when you submit the sign-off to the court. Or i didn't send enough $, or whatever. I'm still not really sure.

But in any case, it was not sufficient for them to accept the signed off ticket. The address on my license was not current because I had just recently moved, so the court sent the notice to my old address, and apparently letters from the court are NOT forwarded (how convenient...). So months go by and I thought I was all good. And then finally somehow a collections agency starts calling me and sending me letters (somehow THEIR letters get forwarded.... lol ) and I think they have the wrong person and try to explain that to them because I've never been asked to go to court and didn't owe anyone any money. And of course they don't tell me that I had letters from the court that I have apparently ignored or not received, all they tell me is that I owe them $1000 or something and don't even tell me what it's for or who it's for. I half way think it's a scam, and half way think they have the wrong person if it's actually legit.

So lots of frustration later, a note from the court finally gets to me at my current address, stating that I failed to go to court like 2 or 3 times or something like that, and that I had all these insane fees to pay and that if I fail to go to court again there will be a warrant out for me or some craziness like that. When I did finally go to court, I explained all this as honestly and as upfront as possible, brought documents showing that I had moved, and that I HAD fixed my registration and sent it into the court well in advance, and ended up only having to pay like $150 or something instead of the $1000+ or whatever it was.

But anyway, that got me to really pay attention to any legal documents or tickets or fines, and make sure that I follow the instructions to the T, and never be late on anything with the court or the DMV, and ALWAYS follow up to make sure that the issue has been resolved. And to make sure that I immediately change my address with the DMV and on my drivers license as soon as I move. The DMV and the court house do not talk to each other, and even though DMV and others mail gets forwarded, apparently letters from the courthouse do NOT get forwarded. That's BS if you ask me, but whatever, now I know. What ever is written on the ticket is all the court seems to know about.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
by february 16th.

i'm just going to rig up some type of flappage, and take it in next week before i forget.

I'm still kind of confused on the whole matter though... Jeeps never came with any type of mudflaps to begin with, and the fenders only go so far down. are they wanting people to install aftermarket mudflaps that extend lower, or would a set of flat fenders that extend to the edge of the tire suffice (6" metalcloaks etc)? I guess what i'm trying to say is, are you supposed to have all tread covered when looking at it from behind, or from the top?
Stock rims with like 6-7" back spacing do not stick out like your rims do...yours have, I presume about 4" back spacing...and I am sure yours are about 8" wide instead of the stock 7-7.5" wide rims...

Welcome to California....oh, and dont walk around with an unloaded unregistered weapon....they will get you out here....unfortunately.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Stock rims with like 6-7" back spacing do not stick out like your rims do...yours have, I presume about 4" back spacing...and I am sure yours are about 8" wide instead of the stock 7-7.5" wide rims...

Welcome to California....oh, and dont walk around with an unloaded unregistered weapon....they will get you out here....unfortunately.

yeah true. Funny because 2" flare metalcloak tube fenders were next on my list. now i'm wondering if i should go with a 4-6" to stay under the radar more
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
It's not about how far down etc. it's about how far out to the side. The stock wheels and tires were completely covered from the factory by the flare (sideways I mean).

Here's the actual code....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #28
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's not about how far down etc. it's about how far out to the side. The stock wheels and tires were completely covered from the factory by the flare (sideways I mean).

Here's the actual code....

gotcha. So i'll go with 4-6" tube fenders versus the 2" and be in the clear. I'd hate to waste a grand on fenders only to get in even more trouble lol.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know that metal cloak makes 2" flares? they make a "rub rail", but that's just a tube really.
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

The perm fix would be to get some aftermarket wider fender flares. That would solve the issue. Alternatively, you could pick up a cheap set of stock wheels. I've seen them as low as $100 on CL around here. Drive in with those, sign off, and replace w/ your bigger tires.

You're right in the sense that its one of those laws that is rarely enforced. But at the same time, we're in a bankrupt state right now. Do you really want to let these guys have any reason to pull you over? I'd just get aftermarket fender flares for it.

I had a run in like this a few months back with my motorcycle. The guy stopped me at 9am on my way to the office. His probable cause was that my license plate was vertical, and by law, it must be horizontal. (I've sure you've seen those bikes that have the side mounted vertical plates) But he admitted that he really wanted to just make sure I had my license. Apparently a lot of young guys get bikes and never get licenses.

Like I said though, you never want to give them a reason to pull you over. Here's a worst case scenario. You maybe have a drink or two after work at happy hour. On your way home, another cop decides he's having a bad day and wants to harass you about your tires again. Well, now he's got you pulled over. You're fine, and didn't do any illegal maneuvers. However, in CA, you can be arrested for driving under the influence, even if you're below .08 ... Its a complete judgement call on the officer's part, similar to wreckless driving or driving at an unsafe speed. If he smells some beer on your breath, he can nail you for it. Even if not.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.