Just got pulled over in fullerton CA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Just got pulled over in fullerton CA

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just got pulled over in fullerton CA

Passed a cop radaring people, I was 5 below so as soon as he whipped out behind me I knew I was in for something good.

He stopped me because my tires stick out too far, endangering others. My jeep is a pretty standard 3.5" lift with 33's, no aftermarket fenders etc. it's not an attention grabber by any means.

I got a fix it ticket, he says I need to have it signed off by the police station then show it to the court. What the hell am I supposed to do to fix it, and how are all of you guys getting away with bigger set ups?

NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

they don't stick out any farther than any other jeep running around. I stopped by the local offroad shop (displaying about 6 JK's with 37's or larger mind you), and asked what they thought about it... they all laughed and thought it was a joke. why me.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is the actual ruling on the tire amount sticking outside the fender? Did the officer tell you want it needs to be? or did he just say it was to far? Sounds like BS to me, but dang if you have the ticket you have to do something I guess. Can you just pay the fine and that's it with no fix?
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

there is no fine, just have to fix it and get it signed off he said. I'm wondering how "official" that is, and if there's any penalty if i don't. he didn't tell me what the actual rule was, but i just looked it up and it says that some type of cover needs to extend to the edge of the contact tread. I have no idea what to do short of taping on something to extend my fenders lol.

^^ you better watch out! haha
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Wolf_Man
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im sorry, but that is funny.. lol here in my little redneck town in Florida, the cops roll around in lifted F250s.. lol there are trucks here rolling on 54s and 52s and a jeep on 48s with no fenders, I think I got a picture of it somewhere.. let me look.. good luck btw..
Wolf_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Wolf_Man
2002 TJ Wrangler 

here it is, its also a local mud run champion.. hes running NOS through a Chevy big block I do believe..
img_1215.jpg   img_1217.jpg  
Wolf_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ hahahahha. official NAPA mud truck
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

The fix it ticket will only be about $25...admin fees...

The solution may be wider fender flares...or put some stock wheels on...drive to a PD station and get the ticket signed off....then mail it....and then slap your steelies back on
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Fireman4X4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Colorado Jeep Club Member #252
1994 YJ with lots of fun stuff
2003 KJ Bone stock piece of junk[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Fireman4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

might not be a bad idea...

I just moved here from AZ probably 5 months ago, Jeep is still registered in AZ... i made the dumb mistake of telling him i live here, but what if i told them that the vehicle is registered in AZ and won't be staying here?
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would just take it to the station unchanged and tell them you need someone to sign off on it. I bet the guy who gave you the ticket was having a bad day and took it out on you. chances are that if you bring it back to them and talk to the next guy up in the chain of command, he'll laugh at it and give you the OK.
TRADED IN - '07 WK Limited 5.7L - OME HD kit l Rusty's .25" strut spacer l 255/75R17 l Spidertrax spacers all around l Powerwire l K&N CAI l JK MOAB black wheels l Rola Rack with Yakima spare tire mount system l 4xGuard belly skid l 4xGuard Rocker Guards
335I M Sport (e93) - plenty of mods so far :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
it appears that REAL Jeeps leak fluids everywhere, spend more time parked in pieces than being driven, rust completely through the floor boards, gauges don't work, heaters don't work etc...
ryanwhiteaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhiteaker View Post
I would just take it to the station unchanged and tell them you need someone to sign off on it. I bet the guy who gave you the ticket was having a bad day and took it out on you. chances are that if you bring it back to them and talk to the next guy up in the chain of command, he'll laugh at it and give you the OK.
i'm thinking i'm going to give this a shot before doing anything.. and see what they say. the worst that can happen is they tell me to fix it again right? Maybe i'll even tell them that it had NO fenders on it when he pulled me over lol.

when i was waiting for him I saw three lifted trucks drive past me with same size tires, or bigger, with no mud flaps and just couldn't help but laugh
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhiteaker View Post

27600 VC....mud flaps....

About 3 weeks ago I was in the Honda...one evening I had two rocks from the same rig chip and crak my front windshield....the next morning at about 4 am...another pinche rock chipped my window....3 rocks...two trucks...nomud flaps...and three chips later...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
27600 VC....mud flaps....

About 3 weeks ago I was in the Honda...one evening I had two rocks from the same rig chip and crak my front windshield....the next morning at about 4 am...another pinche rock chipped my window....3 rocks...two trucks...nomud flaps...and three chips later...
this is just proof that everybody should just drive jeeps and there will be no issues.

i'm going to wait a couple weeks, go in there on a beautiful friday morning, and see what they have to say about my factory fenders. If it doesn't fly, i'll find some stockers.
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the first time ive heard of it being enforced. Youre technically supposed to have fenders that cover OR mudflaps. Im pretty sure my tires stick out more than yours and ive never been hassled. I also dont have my front license plate and have been thinking of moving my plate and leaving it without a light and putting the spare in the back and leaving the 3rd brakelight off. Let us know how much the fix it ticket comes out to. I heard they went up
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.