Joshua Tree 1/5/13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Joshua Tree 1/5/13

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Joshua Tree 1/5/13

Joshua Tree National Park - Berdoo Canyon (in) Gold Crown Rd (out)
Trail Boss - Ken Cooke

Date/Time of the Run:
Saturday, January 5th - 9 AM to 5 PM
Driver's Meeting @ 9 AM - Please have gas tank filled and ready to go.

45761 Dillon Rd, Coachella, CA 92236

Difficulty Rating: 1+ (5 being 'Most Challenging') includes some sand, whoops, soft dirt, rocky canyons, narrow sections of trail containing washout/ditches, steep dropoffs and hillclimbs). Swaybar disconnects will help in traction, as will all-terrain-type tires with strong sidewalls (along w/a good spare).

Run Type: Day Run

**Exact departure time from meeting place: 9:15 a.m. (please be prompt).
Lunch will be at 12:30 p.m. alongside the trail along Geology Tour Road.

Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
mtruong131
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys,

Was seeing if I can hitch a ride with anyone on this trip. I can supply lunch or pitch in for gas money. Ive never been off-roading yet. Let me know. svn 1 4-8 five 6-0 nine nine 1. Paul
mtruong131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Paul, Inside of the park, there are dirt roads you can drive along and not get stuck. The Park staff will be able to tell you precisely which ones, along with offering you a map so that you will not make any mistakes.

I have seen automobiles driving along the upper portions of Geology Tour Road, although I don't think it is a good idea - especially, in hot weather. But, along the dirt roads and pull outs (where many of the rock climbers congregate) which are well-groomed, you can at least get an idea for what lies beyond. SUV rentals?
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
mtruong131
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rental sounds good. I'll let you know if I can make it, but count me out for now
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

19 Jeeps confirmed for next Saturday.
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtruong131 View Post
hey guys,

Was seeing if I can hitch a ride with anyone on this trip. I can supply lunch or pitch in for gas money. Ive never been off-roading yet. Let me know. svn 1 4-8 five 6-0 nine nine 1. Paul
Why do you need a ride? There isnt much in Berdoo that you can't run in a stock Jeep unless you want to take side trails....
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
mtruong131
2005 TJ Wrangler 

DW problems that I can't figure out and don't want to deal with right now. That's all lol
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That makes sense, long drive from there to here if your rigs not running right....
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im in. 10-4 on all the info.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

22 Jeeps confirmed.
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This Saturday, I will be leading a Joshua Tree 4WD run which will have us out from 9 a.m. until about sunset. Highlights will include;
  • The historic Berdoo Canyon Road which at one time housed Berdoo Camp - a conglomerate of buildings including; dormitories, a mess hall, and even a town store and 35 bed hospital. Berdoo Camp - N33deg.50.06' W116deg.08.74'
  • The Little San Bernardino Mountains tunnel which lies directly under Berdoo Camp which lies 2,042 underground - part of the California aqueduct project.
  • The picturesque Pleasant Valley - providing views of the nearby Salton Sea to the south.
  • Views of the Joshua Tree - the largest of the yuccas, and member of the lily family which range in height from 15 to 40 feet and live between 100 to 300 years, which were named by early Mormon visitors to California.
  • Views of the Ocotillo (or 'Coach-whip'). In fact, Native Americans ate Ocotillo flowers like sweet candy back in the day.
  • Mission Well in the Pinto Basin (along Old Dale Road) where Native Americans found food sources along what was once a shallow lake, but now houses a helicopter landing pad.
  • Former California mining sites along Old Dale Road.
  • Berdoo Canyon Trail ascending from an elevation of 900 to 4,400 ft. elevation as we enter Pleasant Valley within the National Park. We will continue onward from the opposite end of the park out to Highway 62 via Old Dale Road and Gold Crown Road.

Itinerary:
Beginning along Dillon Road in the reknown desert festival town of Coachella, CA - we will drive our Jeeps, pickup trucks and SUVs up Dillon Road - a road set up in the early 1930s to access work sites along the California aqueduct project (which delivers water from Parker Dam in Arizona to Los Angeles, CA).

We will arrive at Dillon Road where we will air our tires down, disconnect our Jeep anti--swaybars, and prepare for a day of mild four wheeling and sight seeing under projected sunny skies, but cool temperatures.

As we complete the one-way Geology Tour Road, we will stop for lunch (at approx. 11:30 - 12:30) near the impressive Squaw Tank - a Native American campsite filled with Monzogranite boulders containing deep pockets used for grinding seeds - perfect for setting up for our lunch!

Next, we will drive across the park to Pinto Basin Road (also known as El Dorado Mine Road), 6 miles north of Cottonwood Campground, where we will drive up Old Dale Road where it will continue to Gold Crown Road where it intersects with Highway 62. But, before reaching pavement, we will take a fun detour, and play on a small sand dune and maybe cross an optional mud hole.

Communications:
We will utilize CB Channel 22 along I-10, up to the meeting place.
HAM operators will be on this run - one of whom uses the Call Sign: KJ6KHK and can be accessed using 146.46 MHz Simplex.
Please make sure that your CB radio is in good operating condition prior to this run.

Park Regulations:
Be sure to carry $15 in the event that our group gets a visit from the Rangers, and require us to drive to one of the kiosks and purchase a park pass.

Alcohol Policy:
**Please do not bring any alcoholic drinks on this run. We will need to keep a fast pace due to the size of this group, and factoring whether or not drivers and/or passengers are no longer 'buzzed' will only slow us down. NYE was so yesterday.

Weather:
Afternoon temps should peak into the upper 50s. Please bring a jacket and dress warm since our noon-time lunch stop will be above 4,000 ft. elevation.

Gasoline:
There will be no gasoline available after we leave the Love's parking lot. Check http://www.californiagasprices.com [Coachella, CA] for the lowest prices near our starting place.

Lunch and Dinner:
Please be sure to bring plenty of food and water for your day on the trail. We will begin lunch at approximately 11:30 a.m. and be ready to drive at 12:30 p.m. Our plan will be to arrive on pavement before 5 p.m. so that our tires will be aired up and anti swaybars reconnected with sunlight. Meet us for dinner at Santana's Mexican Food (Fresh MXN) - www.yvsantanasmexicanfood.com/ -
Their meals are more than McDonalds, but less than Denny's. It's not exactly the same quality as Fresh MXN in San Diego, but close enough for the price.
73680 Sun Valley Drive Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

my son and i will be there tommorow with our zj
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman92k View Post
my son and i will be there tommorow with our zj
Thanks, Sandman. It will be a large run, so be ready for a fun Jeep run!
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Driver's Meeting

Real clean CJ-7

Airing down on Berdoo Canyon Road - Dillon Rd. Indio in the background

Berdoo Canyon Road - who needs rocks? We got stuck on asphalt!

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.