jeep trip to Mammoth & Owens Valley
Just gauging interest in a trip out that way. A few San Jose guys and I are going up to the area. I'm planning it for June 17-20, and haven't decided on the details yet. I'm thinking we'd camp at June lake.
Last year we did Deer Valley south of Lake Tahoe and we also did Jawbone Canyon and Red Rock Canyon in the Mojave. Awesome trips, and I want this one to be a good one too. Some highlights not limited to jeeping:
-Mono and Inyo Volcanic Craters
I found a few trails in my books that sound neat, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of them?
Here's what I've found so far:
HS#38 - Laurel Lakes Trail - D4 - 1.5 hr each way
SNB T22 - Coyote Flat and Coyote Ridge - D Moderate - full day or more depending
SNB T23 - Buttermilk Country - D Easy to Moderate - 1.5 hr without spurs
SNB T24 - Volcanic Tableland - D Easy to Moderate - 3 hours
SNB T25 - Sand Canyon Road - D Moderate - 2.5 hr round trip
Any tips or takers?
Laurel Lakes is a great trail , but I would guess it might still have a little snow up at the 10,000 ft level even in June.
im not sure what the trail is called but theres a pretty good trail off owens river road. its just before the big springs campground and runs by look out mountain. and then down by the power lines. GREAT trail not sure what to classify it but i saw a 4 inch lifted suburban make it. some scary down hills but thats it. and any trail out there is fun and not too too technical but if you look for it you can find some.
and bald mountain is always a beautiful drive.
p.s. if you go i would go into mammoth lakes and go to the forest service station in town, just on the right as you enter town and buy a topo or they have a OHV trail map. and just drive up 395 to owens river rd or go to the june lakes cut off and just find a valley or something on the map and go find it. you'll have a blast!!
pm me if you want any more details.
oh ya and laurel lakes is amazing have hiked and jeeped up there.
and bald mountain is always a beautiful drive.QUOTE]
bdock, I've heard about bald mountain ohv, is it near these trails that we're going on? :cheers2:
ya bald mountain is off owens river rd. witch is north on 395 from the town of mammoth. its pretty easy to get there if you have a topo. i think its about 10400 ft. but i have been there around this time of year and didnt have any snow. but had some hail:(http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...905f4c06eb.jpg
hers a picture from the top of bald mountain
thats mono lake in the background
this is a picture of the trail i was talking about. i call it power line.
and if you search on a map or maybe google earth you can find thishttp://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...35e022c62a.jpg
this is a picture from a peak near bald mountain you can see bishop in this picturehttp://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...9b91ed4eb5.jpg
any update on the trip plan? I'm interested in going somewhere around that weekend.
OK guys, slight change in plans. For several reasons, the trip has changed and we're now going to the Bear Valley area off hwy 4 south of Markleeville.A list of trails in the region, along with a google map can be found here:
June Jeep Trip - Google Maps
Mostly, the trails I had mentioned were all likely to still have a good amount of snow by the time we got there. It's also much farther from the Bay Area.
Since there are more trails in this area close together, we have a good chance of having more than enough to do for the 4 day trip.
Trails we're looking at:
-Mt. Reba / Round Valley
-Corral Hollow / Bear Trap Basin
-Mattley Ridge Loop
-Blue Lakes / Indian Valley
Not sure where we'll camp, but it should hopefully be in the 70's.
I have a cabin in Arnold and I've been on or near most of those listed. I was up at the road to Spicer Res in mid May and there was a lot of snow on the ground at 6000 ft and above. Some people on Expedition Portal are going to Barney Riley on the 12th and there are reports of snow on the ground there also. I am interested in going from the 17th til the 20th. Do you have room for one more?
Well, I'm not sure if we're still gonna do this trip in June. We're thinking of probably moving it to July 17-18, since there is another group of jeepers going that weekend. Still kinda up in the air. We were hoping for better weather but it sounds like it's still pretty snowy up there.
|The time now is 09:18 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.