Help with gear install Redding, CA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Help with gear install Redding, CA

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
joker713
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Help with gear install Redding, CA

Any one in the Redding area that would be willing to help me do a gear install? I'd be willing to pay just don't want to pay shop prices and on top of it not be able to learn anything. Please let me know.

Wanting to do 4.88 into a TJ. Also, potentially a Powertrax No-Slip. 30 front and 44 rear.

Unread 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
joker713
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody? Please
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
framanda
1997 ZJ 

im in the same boat buddy, from cottonwood got 456s sitting on my shop bench just waiting.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
oracle_man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You guys ever hook up on a good gear mechanic? I just bought a rubicon with 4.10s and I'm going to 5.13s.
oracle_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
framanda
1997 ZJ 

I have not. Looks like I'm going to do it myself.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
joker713
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am currently enrolled in the Diesel Technology program at Shasta College and it just so happens that one of my first classes this semester is a drive train class... After finishing this class I will have the knowledge to do gear changes so it's just a matter of time now. Not saying that I think I'm going to be efficient about it or be the best gear tech out there but I will at least have the knowledge to do it and do it right as well as continue to learn while doing it.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Timmay82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I could help those in So Cal. If I was up in that area I would help in a heart beat. Honestly up until a few months ago the only tbing i hadn't done on a car or truck was gearing. Since then I have done 6. It's easier than you guys think. If you sre willing to buy a few specialty tools you can do it.
Timmay82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
oracle_man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Joker and framanda, there is a Redding Black Sheep 4x4 club meeting this Saturday to do a little trail cleaning on the way to Tamarack. We meet at AM/PM on Oasis Rd 7am. If you into it, meet up there and we can chat.

Aside from that, I'm getting my gears done at Action Axle in Redding in about 2 weeks. I really don't want to pay the labor, but I fear I'll mess up big time if I try to do it myself.
oracle_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
yjwrangler530

hey guys.. im from redding as well..

i got a 88 yj wrangler with the ****ty ba10/5.. i adjusted the shift forks already.. and its still stuck in 1st.. the shifter can go in neutral and all other gears.. just wont go into 1st.. when i start the jeep with the clutch down.. * in neutrak * it doesnt move.. i slowly release.. and its in 1st even though the shifter is in neutral.. i try shifting into a different gear like 2nd.. and i can hear a grinding sound/rotating sound..

i wanna swap to a differnt ba10/5 if i gotta.. but rather do a ax15.. u guys have any extra trannies and tc's ?

thanks.. pm. me so we can swap numbers.. thanks guys
yjwrangler530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay82 View Post
I could help those in So Cal. If I was up in that area I would help in a heart beat. Honestly up until a few months ago the only tbing i hadn't done on a car or truck was gearing. Since then I have done 6. It's easier than you guys think. If you sre willing to buy a few specialty tools you can do it.
Really??? This would save me SO much money. I haven't even considered it because countless people say that it's so complex and that a rookie risks burning up the gears and wasting a ton of money. What if it's my DD?
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
Timmay82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69 View Post
Really??? This would save me SO much money. I haven't even considered it because countless people say that it's so complex and that a rookie risks burning up the gears and wasting a ton of money. What if it's my DD?
Yes. If you purchase everything you need it can be. PM me for further assistance. I have most except a dial tq wrench as mine took a dive recently and isn't reliable anymore.
Timmay82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.