Gun Tolerance??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Gun Tolerance???

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipSome Free shipping Coupon codesSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
AZ93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gun Tolerance???

Alright I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. So I'm from Arizona here we are very gun friendly. You see some one carrying a AR-15, handguns, or shotgun no one bats an eye most people feel safer with other citizens carrying. I'm going to be moving to Riverside, CA in the end of summer for about 9-10 months for tech school. From the laws in California I'm only wanting to bring my shotgun for house security and time to time in my jeep when im out an about also my hunting rifle maybe do some yote hunting. You can't conceal carry those two types of firearms due to size obviously so to time to time they will be seen by people. I know California isn't as gun friend as Arizona. So long story short how friendly are people to guns? Do people mind or not? Will most people freak out and report it? What's your experience?

AZ93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As you have said, "The Republik of Kalifornia", Is NOT very friendly when it comes to weapons. I think it is more a fear of handguns than long guns, but still.....
It is my understanding, you MUST have all weapons cased, and unloaded, (which seems kind of ok), But also they must be stored in the vehicle out of the drivers reach, and the ammo must be in a separate container. There are many places to hunt birds here. But "Yotes"? I don't know, except up along the lower Sierras by the Coso Mtns. I also would note...the county of Los Angeles seems the worst when it comes to hassles about guns, and sometimes even center fire ammo can be hard to find in unusual calibers like .30 caliber carbine. Shotgun shells are pretty common even in "Big Box Stores".
As can be in many places, I just keep my guns out of public view, and in innocculus wooden boxes, as well as have the ammo stored in other boxes.
Someone who hunts more will surely post what they have seen as to hunting, and carrying you firearms. These are my observations.

Steve
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

The public will probably never see your guns if you are hunting in legal areas since to have to keep them encased to and from. Once out in the field you should be ok, the only people i tend to run into where I go is the occasional dirtbiker or 4wheeler, and they tend not to be vaginas. If you have anything identifying you as a hunter, mossy oak camo, safety orange gear, then you might get some looks in town, but I haven't had anyone bold enough to say anything besides fellow outdoorsmen

I was carrying in bear country while fly fishing, this weekend and the few other fly fisherman I met didn't say anything about the .45, but I could see them looking at it when we talked.
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Just make sure you are in a legal area. San Bernardino county has this map, I couldn't find one for LA. I haven't looked for a riverside county version

http://www.specialdistricts.org/modu...documentid=306
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
AZ93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrocksteve
As you have said, "The Republik of Kalifornia", Is NOT very friendly when it comes to weapons. I think it is more a fear of handguns than long guns, but still.....
It is my understanding, you MUST have all weapons cased, and unloaded, (which seems kind of ok), But also they must be stored in the vehicle out of the drivers reach, and the ammo must be in a separate container. There are many places to hunt birds here. But "Yotes"? I don't know, except up along the lower Sierras by the Coso Mtns. I also would note...the county of Los Angeles seems the worst when it comes to hassles about guns, and sometimes even center fire ammo can be hard to find in unusual calibers like .30 caliber carbine. Shotgun shells are pretty common even in "Big Box Stores".
As can be in many places, I just keep my guns out of public view, and in innocculus wooden boxes, as well as have the ammo stored in other boxes.
Someone who hunts more will surely post what they have seen as to hunting, and carrying you firearms. These are my observations.

Steve
Thanks I appreciate the reply. And the additional law that the firearm has to be out of reach in the jeep.
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ93YJ View Post
So long story short how friendly are people to guns? Do people mind or not? Will most people freak out and report it? What's your experience?
To your first question about how Gun's are "viewed" in CA... I would say "it depends" on where you are... I lived in Riverside for a year, 15 years ago, and at the time, was pretty OK in general discussion with the people I knew, but there have been/are some gang related issues nearby so a lot of people are more uptight worried the "bad guys" are going to get the "good guys" guns and commit crimes.

I now live in Central Coast Cal, and places like Santa Cruz (where I live near) or San Francisco are so liberal that if you even whisper "gun", your likely to get arrested for making terrorist threats (I'm exergating, but there are certainly areas where the gun grabbing liberal majority make even talking about firearms dangerous). My impression that the bigger metro/populated areas (SF, LA, San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, etc) have always been the more liberal/anti-gun and the more rural areas (which is by far the majority of the land) is more tolerant/conservative regarding guns and 2nd Amendment rights, etc.

I live a few miles from Santa Cruz in a much more conserative area (12-13K population), am a member of a local sportsman's club/shooting range and there are 3 gunshops and another outdoors shop, so the culture is much more relaxed and open gun/shooting discussion isn't quite as frowned upon, although there are still pockets (like those that whined and cried when a new gunshop moved into the area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ93YJ View Post
Thanks I appreciate the reply. And the additional law that the firearm has to be out of reach in the jeep.
Regarding in the vehicle...Handguns require a "Locked Container" is more important than where it's at (except not in glove box or console apparantly, which is within reach). Shotguns and Rifles not so much and then CA's "fuzzy" defination of "Assult Weapons" required the locked container again...

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

TRAVELING WITH FIREARMS IN CALIFORNIA

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 25610 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code sections 16850.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code sections 30510, 30515, or 30520 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 16850, 25610, and 30945, subdivision (g).

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 30945 provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code section 16850, 25610, and 30945, subdivision (g).
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Longoddr1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just throwing this out there. I had a friend who was a CHP Officer (retired last year) and he once told me that you have to be careful transporting guns in California because 1. If the road or highway goes thru a City or County, the governing jurisdictions law can take over and 2. The legislature passed a law allowing any law enforcement agency within the state to take confiscated guns and give them to their officers for personal use.
Longoddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
AZ93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longoddr1
Just throwing this out there. I had a friend who was a CHP Officer (retired last year) and he once told me that you have to be careful transporting guns in California because 1. If the road or highway goes thru a City or County, the governing jurisdictions law can take over and 2. The legislature passed a law allowing any law enforcement agency within the state to take confiscated guns and give them to their officers for personal use.
Wouldn't it be for a probable cause though? It's not like I a have a record or anything of the sort or going to be walking around with them around town just in my jeep time to time and hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.