Glendale, CA (LA area) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Glendale, CA (LA area)

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glendale, CA (LA area)

Does this area offer opportunities for wheeling? Or do you have to get way out of the city? If so how far etc?

I am in the very early stages of considering a move to the area from the Southeast, and curious if I should consider bringing along my Jeep.

GMC7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bring the Jeep. You've got a ton of wheeling in Big Bear and a little farther southeast you have Anza Borrego. AB has tons and tons of trails to ride and is only a couple hours from LA.
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

Big Bear has quite a few trails of varying difficulty, just short of 2 hours from Glendale. East of San Diego, out in the desert is the Anzo-Borrego, Corral Canyon, Ocotillo area with a couple dozen or so trails. Distance there from Glendale is 3 - 4 hours, I'd guess. There's some other areas with trails scattered around, within 1 - 4 hours. Nevada & Arizona aren't that much farther, either, and Moab is only about 10 hours away.

Check out Charles A. Wells' book, "Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". It lists most, but not all of them.

If you come out, I'd suggest that you bring your jeep.

Gary
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the information, yea I guess I am a little spoiled, I have one ORV park 20 minutes from here, and I can think of 3 really good ones within 45 minutes, plus random land and trails.

However, I am sure Southern Ca should have scenery that is unmatched........

at this point I will wait and see if I make a deal, before I worry about it anymore.

thanks for the suggestions, and the book
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

if you don't mind driving 1-2 hours away, you literally have tons of OHV options as CA has lots of desert and mountain lands towards the east
Unread 11-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do most folks in CA trailer their Jeeps when going 1-2 hours away ?
Unread 11-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It really depends on the person. Some tow all the time, some tow just for longer camping trips and some never. With gas prices dipping below $1.80 now more people are going to be driving their junk out for day trips too.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It also depends on if their Jeeps are street legal or not. Some of the Jeep people here in California have off-road dedicated Jeeps and some of us have street legal or for me a hunting Jeep that is basically stock with just a few modifications but still street legal. I drove mine this pass September to Moab (little over 770 miles one way) when gas was high and enjoyed the trip. I live in Bakersfield California (about an hour and half North of Glendale) . I drive down south about twice a month to visit my daughter and grandson and would drive the Jeep with no problem. We also have an OHV park about 50 minutes south of us at Gorman just west of I-5. I also have access to Tejon Ranch (a 270,000 acre ranch) where I hunt (belong to one of their hunting clubs). So get to off road there quiet a bit. So if you will have a place to store/garage the jeep bring it. puttputt56
puttputt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 02:37 AM   #9
got_4_lo

Gorman Hungry Valley is only about 45 minutes north of you on a good day. Great ORV park (not as many trails, mostly open areas and hills)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Guardian7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A great Trail is the Lockwood Miller Jeep trail which is also located in Hungry Valley, most people start from Lockwood Valley and end at Hungry Valley OHV Park. You also have some good Trails in the Bouquet Canyon Area of Santa Clarita, Rohwer, Lookout, & Drinkwater trails, which are currently closed due to fires but should reopen soon. Here is a link to a Local Club site which may help give you some info. checkout www.hd4w.org
Guardian7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian7 View Post
You also have some good Trails in the Bouquet Canyon Area of Santa Clarita, Rohwer, Lookout, & Drinkwater trails, which are currently closed due to fires but should reopen soon. Here is a link to a Local Club site which may help give you some info. checkout www.hd4w.org
And don't expect them to open for about another 6 months-a year. It sucks because the Rowher trail is 5 minutes away from my house (I live right on Bouquet Canyon), Drinkwater is about Ten. Stupid fires.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.