Ex-californian coming back to wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Ex-californian coming back to wheel

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ex-californian coming back to wheel

Hey everyone. My wife and I is driving to socal from SC middle of June. We are staying for a few weeks. I'm driving my jeep and I've found a couple of places to wheel. Like the big places, Calico, Big Bear, San Jacinto.

Just wondering if there is any place I should consider that I have missed in my searches...and I know cali has a bunch of laws. I read something about red stickers....but its from 2007. I also read that the trails in San Jacinto are closed during the summer months. Im sure that hasn't changed. I also know I need a wilderness permit.

Is there anything else I am missing? The wife and I like to geocache. So I difinately want to wheel and find some, but I can wheel without just the same.

I don't know anyone in cali who wheels either, so going solo is kinda gonna suck, and limit where I go.

I grew up in cali, riverside/perris area and left when I joined the air force at 20 years old, thats 17 years ago. I never owned a jeep and wheeled then....boy do I miss it now and wish I had. South Carolina is all private land or restricted to 4wd's.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing I can tell you is that if your driving your Jeep out don't even worry about "RED" or "GREEN" stickers, they are mostly for motorcycles and OHV's that are NOT street legal.

June will more than likely be too hot for Death valley but you could go up to Kennedy Meadows off of hwy 395 by Pearsonville, a few miles above where hwy 395 and hwy 14 split. Nice and cool up there.
There are many geocaches out here by Ridgecrest/Inyokern that you could find, you could go up to Lake Isabella, well you get the idea. Lots to do out here, do some searching and have fun!
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps when you arrive, you could just put out a blast and say come on lets go play>
Itoo lived and worked in the Riverside/Perris/March area at one time, and live only 1 1/2 hrs away.
It is only about the same distance for me to go out to the Red Rock area,
or only a bit more to where Jeff is talking about.

I am now down to only my 2wd Cherokee, so real tough stuff is not doable, but the easy stuff I can still do!
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good, I can throw out a blast. I'll check those places out Jeff. Thanks.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
DaK09

Calico will be getting real steamy in June. There is a group that posts on here occasionally that still wheels out there in the summer despite the heat.

Big bear- IMO the trails worth doing require 35's at least one locker and 3" of lift. And you will definitely want belly and rocker protection as well those trails. Great fire roads up there to run on. Cleghorn can be done in a stock X or sport with no problems.
DaK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

If my wilderness permit you mean Adventure Pass (to park in the National Forest), it seems that now its only required in places that have amenities. On top of that, the 'ticket' for not displaying the pass is only a request that you pay. Either way, its not difficult to just get the $30 annual pass.

Here is a link with info on the Adventure Pass lawsuit:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...t-fee-20120229
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

In other news, you should buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Calif.../dp/0966497643
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

bananaslug, thanks for the links! Thats good news about the adventure pass prices. When I went back in 2011 and did some hiking, it hit me as a shock, and really made me mad, but i just thought "only in california" lol. Thanks for the link to the guide, I'm going to pick it up. Looks like a good guide....and Dak I have everything you mentioned accept a locker I figured my winch could make up for no locker though LOL
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dak I'm also hoping for a mild June, like it was in 2011 for us, but then I didn't have a jeep.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine on all the big bear trails with what you have now. The trails up in idyllwild are mostly just fire roads for an easy cruise in 2wd.
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

cool kong, those fire roads might be a good trip to take my mom and sister, so they can get a feel for it.
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The Roll Call; LA county will be a good spot to start trying to get some stuff together. They are going on a run tomorrow actually and I'm pretty sure there would be a few people that would go with you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.