Death Valley trip Nov.22-25, anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Death Valley trip Nov.22-25, anyone?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
ucdzombie

Death Valley trip Nov.22-25, anyone?

Hi everyone I'm planning an off-roading trip to Death Valley during Thanksgiving break Nov.22-25. Anyone wants to join me?

ucdzombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
medic4army
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would be interested in going. Let me know when u have details or if you need help planning.
medic4army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
ucdzombie

Hi thank you so much for responding! I have't checked my post for days so sorry about that. So far I've got 1 person from Davis (where I live) with a Outlander 4wd, and possibly another person in Sol Cal with a Troopy. So it'll be great if you can come with us. Let me send you a link to show you what my plan is: http://realcruiser.com/dv2003/

I would like to go on a similar expedition, so any advice and help from you would be greatly appreciated.

We'll meet at DV on the 22nd (possibly 21st if I can get down there earlier), and come back on the 25th.
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
ChuckMRN
2011 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you check the road conditions pretty close before you go. Just got back Saturday, looks like August and September were some of the worst in a long time. We came in from the North, Eureka Dunes to Saline Valley. All was good until the wash above the valley. All route finding due to road is gone. Road to Upper hot spring is all but gone, but passable in a Jeep. The South Pass thru Grapevine Canyon is a real challange. I have 37's and had to have my wife drive it over some of the stuff while I spotted. The tractor has started work at the top and to the switch back. Death Valley Road from Eureka Valley to Crankshaft crossing is closed, didn't get a chance to check it out. Was low on gas. Reports say that South Park Canyon is washed out and Goler wash at the Park Boundry is washed out. Again these are unconfirmed by my self.
ChuckMRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
ucdzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic4army View Post
I would be interested in going. Let me know when u have details or if you need help planning.
OK here's the plan. Please take a look at the backcountry road map provided by DV:
http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...%20Roads-2.pdf

Day 1:
We enter the park from north of Trona, CA. Via Escape Trail (not marked on map), we go across Slate Range. After entering Goler Cayon, we go over Panamint Range via Mengel Pass. Continuing on Warm Springs Canyon Road. Reach Furnace Creek by night fall. Attractions: Barker Ranch, Gold Hill Mine, Badwater (lowest point of USA), Devil's Golf Course.

Day 2:
Visit Borax museum at Furnace Creek, Artists Drive, Stovepipes Wells Village. Night stay at Mesquite Spring/ Scottys Castle.

Day 3:
Departure from Mesquite Spring, visit Ubehebe Crater, and Race Track (the weird moving rocks). If we can make it through Lippincott Pass, it'll be super fun, since this trail is famous and challenging.
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
ucdzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMRN View Post
Make sure you check the road conditions pretty close before you go. Just got back Saturday, looks like August and September were some of the worst in a long time. We came in from the North, Eureka Dunes to Saline Valley. All was good until the wash above the valley. All route finding due to road is gone. Road to Upper hot spring is all but gone, but passable in a Jeep. The South Pass thru Grapevine Canyon is a real challange. I have 37's and had to have my wife drive it over some of the stuff while I spotted. The tractor has started work at the top and to the switch back. Death Valley Road from Eureka Valley to Crankshaft crossing is closed, didn't get a chance to check it out. Was low on gas. Reports say that South Park Canyon is washed out and Goler wash at the Park Boundry is washed out. Again these are unconfirmed by my self.
Thank you so much! I will check for sure. It seems like in November there's rain too, but it's relatively drier.
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdzombie

OK here's the plan. Please take a look at the backcountry road map provided by DV:
http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...%20Roads-2.pdf

Day 1:
We enter the park from north of Trona, CA. Via Escape Trail (not marked on map), we go across Slate Range. After entering Goler Cayon, we go over Panamint Range via Mengel Pass. Continuing on Warm Springs Canyon Road. Reach Furnace Creek by night fall. Attractions: Barker Ranch, Gold Hill Mine, Badwater (lowest point of USA), Devil's Golf Course.

Day 2:
Visit Borax museum at Furnace Creek, Artists Drive, Stovepipes Wells Village. Night stay at Mesquite Spring/ Scottys Castle.

Day 3:
Departure from Mesquite Spring, visit Ubehebe Crater, and Race Track (the weird moving rocks). If we can make it through Lippincott Pass, it'll be super fun, since this trail is famous and challenging.
Just an FYI: mesquite springs is kind of a ****ty campsite. No shade or privacy and almost entirely RVs running generators.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check out Eureka Sand Dunes if you want to see some pretty impressive sand dunes. If the conditions are right, and you start small avalanches of sand while walking the dune ridges, the dunes will hum like an old WWII bomber. Really weird and cool.

Plus, there is a no-fee campground at the base of the dunes. Washboard roads make getting to Eureka Dunes a bit tedious, but it is worth it. Last time I went to DV, my friends and I had set up camp at Mesquite and paid the fee only to discover later that day that we could have camped at Eureka Dunes for free with the campground likely all to ourselves (this was in early February). Kinda out of the way from lots of other attractions, but if you want some seclusion away from RVs it might be a nice place to stay the night and a good alternative to Mesquite Spring (which isn't really much other than a legit place to camp in the front country, not really worth the campsite fee though IMO).

We saw a few people simply parked off the backcountry dirt roads and camping right off the road. Of course no campfires allowed in the backcountry.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I stayed at Stove Pipe Wells for one night last year. I didn't care for it, it was like camping in a parking lot. You actually had to pull up to a parking block like at the mall. The only individual fire rings there were for tent campers and they were all taken up. There's also a couple of community fire rings but they were surrounded by a million cub scouts when I was there. I froze that night. Had planned on staying there for 4 days but after one night of freezing I headed for the Motel 6 in Beatty and used that for my base camp.

A couple years before I stayed at Mesquite Springs, Didn't seem like a bad campground to me, each site had it's own fire ring.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
scaudy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I may be in that area that weekend. In fact we done pretty close to that trip last year. Hit those same trails. If I am it will be a JKU Rubi on 35's, ZJ 2" lift on 31's and an XJ 3" lift on maybe 31's. What type of rigs you going to be running with? The only trail I would not want to run is lippcincott and probably racetrack. From the crater to racetrack was more washboard then I care to travel. I came up lippincott with my 17 yo daughter following in her ZJ and this year it would be my 18 yo in her ZJ and 17 yo daughter in her XJ so would rather skip that.
scaudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

The road to the racetrack is HORRIBLE, but definitely worth seeing it once if youve never been
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
scaudy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with that. If you have never been it is worth the drive.
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
ucdzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaudy View Post
I may be in that area that weekend. In fact we done pretty close to that trip last year. Hit those same trails. If I am it will be a JKU Rubi on 35's, ZJ 2" lift on 31's and an XJ 3" lift on maybe 31's. What type of rigs you going to be running with? The only trail I would not want to run is lippcincott and probably racetrack. From the crater to racetrack was more washboard then I care to travel. I came up lippincott with my 17 yo daughter following in her ZJ and this year it would be my 18 yo in her ZJ and 17 yo daughter in her XJ so would rather skip that.
I'll be driving my 96 FJZ80, blue grey with 32" tire, all stock. There's a stock Cherokee coming with me (possibly another Wrangler as well). I mainly need a third rig with us to drive through Goler Canyon and Mengel Pass on day 1 of our trip (Thanksgiving day). So if you're available that day, it'll be fantastic. We're all students and working professionals.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
scaudy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks like goler may be washed out.
advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815079
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
ChuckMRN
2011 JK Wrangler 

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions

This says Goler has been fixed by Inyo County??
ChuckMRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.