Death Valley on Thanksgiving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Death Valley on Thanksgiving

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Death Valley on Thanksgiving

Hi Guys,

I'm going Death Valley on Thanks Giving this year and I think about going from Ballarat to Bad Water the day we are arriving in Death Valley coming from Trona. Since it will be around noon/early afternoon it might be too late to do this route. How is Mengel Pass this year (depending on the weather)? How long does it takes when driving more and doing sight seeing less?
Any body else down there in that time?

Axel

Unread 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i think i might actually be down there a weekend or two before and heading east from ballrat
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

East is right, I want to go from north of Trona to Ballarat and than via Mengel Pass to Bad Water. We have a hotel room at the Furnace Creek Ranch over the weekend. Would be good to know how your trip was and how the road is.
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i was thinking of trying to get to briggs cabin and spending a few days there
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
i was thinking of trying to get to briggs cabin and spending a few days there
Isn't Briggs Cabin where they captured Charles Manson? Pretty sure it is.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

no. charles manson's cabin is about 4 miles from the briggs cabin. or just one ridge over. the briggs cabin was (i believe) made by tom briggs and is in the adopt a cabin program from BLM. there is a lower cabin about 150ft away called the Rock Cabin. Mansons cabin burned last year by thrill seekers trying to spend the night there for an experince
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack your thread. I love that area up there.
But the cabin that burned.... Is it the one that is in the fork of the road?
I stayed in a few cabins up there. The one at the fork, which I think was Manson's cabin, the one at Ratcliff camp, and the one in the town about two miles into the canyon.
There are some fantastic mines to explore up there.
My son found a Sears Roebuck catalog in a mine from 1929. It was only about twenty pages thick. We found a bunch of old tobacco tins with claims in them that were dated from the early 1900's.
I want to get back up there soon.
RJC#512
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes, its at a fork in the road called barker ranch. both cabins, mansons and briggs are off golur wash
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

As far as I get it there is no reservation needed for the cabins, just bring all the stuff you need and have a nice evening?!
Since it sounds like that this trail is more than just a drive maybe it makes sense to plan two days. I will see.

Thanks

Axel
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darg View Post
As far as I get it there is no reservation needed for the cabins, just bring all the stuff you need and have a nice evening?!
Since it sounds like that this trail is more than just a drive maybe it makes sense to plan two days. I will see.

Thanks

Axel
Bring extra canned goods to leave in the cabin. Books of matches, extra firewood, just stuff to leave for somebody that may get stuck up there when it snows. Kind of a charity thing.
RJC#512
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes. thats my rule of thumb and they usually was that in the cabin too. leave it better then when you got here. as for needing a res. just show up. if your staying there for then 3 days, BLM wants to be notified. but thats it
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Can someone say something about the status or condition of Mengel Pass? Have heard it is in bad shape.

Just 24 days to go....
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm going Death Valley on Thanks Giving this year and I think about going from Ballarat to Bad Water the day we are arriving in Death Valley coming from Trona. Since it will be around noon/early afternoon it might be too late to do this route. How is Mengel Pass this year (depending on the weather)? How long does it takes when driving more and doing sight seeing less?
Any body else down there in that time?

Axel
Quote:
Can someone say something about the status or condition of Mengel Pass? Have heard it is in bad shape.

Just 24 days to go....
Axel,

I ran that same route in the opposite direction in March. We left Furnace Creek at 10:00 am and arrived in Trona at 7:00 pm. We stopped to visit the Warm Springs, the cabins in Butte Valley, Barker Ranch and Newman Cabin. IF you didn't stop to see any of the sights you could make it in five hours, but what fun would that be?? This time of year, it gets dark at about 5:00 pm PST, so you wouldn't see anything for the last half of the run. There is a short stretch in Mengel Pass that is badly rutted and eroded, but you will be going downhill, so you should be able to make it through, especially since you will be driving an Unlimited Rubi. Personally, I would not drive that route alone because if something broke, it is a very long way to get help and you will be out of cell phone range once you leave the Trona area.
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hi Russ,

thanks for the tip. The early night fall is a problem. I'm just planing and I would not go alone there, only when we find someone out in Furnace Creek who is also going over Mengel I would go since it sounds like a long turn :-) So it has to wait till I find someone. Anybody out at DV at Thanksgiving?!

Thanks

Axel
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Death_Valley_TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should have no trouble making mengel pass in an unlimited rubi. I will be out in that area this weekend and if I hear anything otherwise, I'll repost. The last part from Warm Springs to Furnace creek would be no problem in the dark. Just less scenic.

I think Briggs cabin is north of golar wash in South Park canyon just below chicken bridge. I may be wrong.

Edit: I see you already mentioned the location of Briggs Cabin.
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.