Death valley run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Death valley run

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Death valley run

Anyone ever take this route or tour? I used to hang out with a 4x4 club non jeep and they go every year and only other place I see that offer a guide thru death valley is badlands 4x4 but 400.00 bucks for guided tour is way to much for me I'd rather try myself and get lost. Normally they use this month to go any clubs out there go?

herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
medic4army
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've never been out to Death Valley in my
jeep, only on my motorcycle. It's fun as hell. I would go with you.
medic4army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
ChuckMRN
2011 JK Wrangler 

We are going on the 17th.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/dea...ar-142183.html
ChuckMRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wifey & I are going this weekend, 9,10,11th....looking for others to wheel with...want to do Pleasant Valley/South Park & others.

Anyone else going?

MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

awe man, i want to head up there, im in oregon in BFE and might not be back till Friday, i can possibly go following weekend.
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be returning to DV on the weekend of the 23-25th March, but with my elderly parents (mid 70's). We plan on doing some light wheeling Friday, and probably scare 'em to death (it IS Death Valley, right?) on Mengel Pass/Goler on Saturday if anyone wants to join us for a slow, family style run that weekend.

That'll be all of DV for 2012 for me.
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
andywitzz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just drove through DV a couple weeks ago and did some camping and light wheeling, but nothing intense. There must be a lot more that I didn't see though. What kinds of terrain? Doable with a slightly-over stock XJ?
andywitzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Let's us know how temps and terrain is after this trip. I've nevet gone thru and would like to take my kids and wife for some light wheeling as well. Your avatar pic on here is that dv?

Thanks.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The avatar is Sandstone Canyon in Anza-Borrego State Park...which is accessible and easy.

Temps in DV are predicted to be mid 80's and mid 50's at night.

DV has mostly easy to moderate trails/roads...but things can change after a rain, so check with the ranger at Stovepipe Wells or the Visitor Center at Furnace Creek for closures & info.

2 excellent books on DV are:

SoCal Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells

Death Valley SUV Trails by Roger Mitchell

Read them and you'll have weeks of stuff to try. Panamint Valley Days is a good run to attend and learn the area too.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah....YouTube "Death Valley, Jeep" and check some trail vids.
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have a how coordinate where they usually start and fijish to get any idea of where to go?think I will look at those recommendations thanks.
Unread 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
Anyone have a how coordinate where they usually start and fijish to get any idea of where to go?think I will look at those recommendations thanks.
Next time I go, I will start in Balarat, then through Goler Wash and Mengel Pass towards West Side Road and connect with Henry Wade Road towards Saratoga Springs, then head towards Baker and on home. Probably 2/3 nights.

This assumes youve seen most of the rest of the park. If you havent seen the Racetrack, Ubehebe Crater, Titus Canyon, Scotty's Castle you should check those out first and do a more traditional DV run.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

WOW that DV park is huge with trails then, not many gas stations in there? thinking of going with a few 5 gallon tanks and gettig some maps at a ranger station or something. haven't had chance to get those books. two weeks left to do something before a hectic working schedule.
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

DV is the largest National park in the NP system!

Lots of trails, yes. herculz, from your profile mods you can easily do any of them, tho' Lippencott Pass is pretty hairball right now due to a couple of washouts in the VERY steep switchback section. I was nervous in my LJ, and that's narrower and shorter than your JK Unlimited.

This weekend gas station prices were Stovepipe Wells ($5.06/gal) and Furnace Creek ($5.89/gal). I did bring an extra 5 gallons with me, but never came close to using it...and we wheeled all day...but it's nice to have.

Get the books, get the books, get the books (especially Mitchell's for DV). I did see 1 only of those for sale at the SW Ranger Station, but you should really have a better plan than to read a book when you get there IMO (and there was only 1).

Like I said in the previous post, the wheeling is easy to moderate, with some exceptions like sections of Lippencott and Goler, which are more like Class IV stuff. I never had to use the ARBs the whole weekend.

DV is a wonderful place to see if you're into geology (I am) and love desert environments (I do).

We had a fantastic time last weekend....found an unexpected petroglyph, a very cool fossil shell (large round snail, just about perfectly exposed in half), and saw a Bighorn Sheep that we surprised in a canyon...great weather and fun wheeling. Just perfect. I'll post a brief trip report w/ photos after I catch up with work.

Unread 03-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

heres a photo from the 22-25th trip, Titus Canyon
tumblr_m149ksd5se1qdm81xo1_1280.jpg  
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.