Cougar Buttes trail run Feb 4th - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Cougar Buttes trail run Feb 4th

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #271
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Not only can it be retubed but it is also cheaper than buying a new one...cause you save on the u-joints and tbe swivel joint/ elbows since the reuse yours....I have a tom woods and a JE reel shaft...
So what do you suggest? I busted my front in half....if I get it retubed I could use it as a trail spare and just go with a TW up front....while getting the SYE and dual cardigan drive shaft.......

Unread 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #272
geocash
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it depends if you think you will trash another shaft. It is rare to twist off and even the best shaft won't allow you to land on it. The larger shafts are more for increased HP not for the bump and roll on. I would just get it re-tubed and spend the cash some where else.
geocash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #273
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocash
I guess it depends if you think you will trash another shaft. It is rare to twist off and even the best shaft won't allow you to land on it. The larger shafts are more for increased HP not for the bump and roll on. I would just get it re-tubed and spend the cash some where else.
I agree...get it retubed it should be less than 200...I was going to lenghten mine for about $160 at JE Reel in Pomona which is the same as getting it retubed...I'm at 6" so get a SYE was imperative because I has major vibes even with adjustable lowers and adj. Upper a-arm.... I could have had my rear shaft lenghtened for 150 but I found a 242 with tom woodz SYE and matching DS for 300...the SYE reduced the steep angle of the rear shaft and with a single- double cardain shaft my vibes were gone....
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #274
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82

So what do you suggest? I busted my front in half....if I get it retubed I could use it as a trail spare and just go with a TW up front....while getting the SYE and dual cardigan drive shaft.......
Getting it retubed and balance it shouldn't have to be a spare shaft....also make sure your lift is where you want it to be so that you have proper operating lenght...in other words don't...get your shaft fixed and the. 2 months later lift your trhcm higher....
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #275
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Getting it retubed and balance it shouldn't have to be a spare shaft....also make sure your lift is where you want it to be so that you have proper operating lenght...in other words don't...get your shaft fixed and the. 2 months later lift your trhcm higher....
But if I am upgrading the front with a tom woods driveshaft couldn't i just use the retubed one as a spare anyways?
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #276
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:

But if I am upgrading the front with a tom woods driveshaft couldn't i just use the retubed one as a spare anyways?
I suppose you can...if u have the cash to dump on a whole new one...but what happened to you is not the rule its an exception...plus...they can retubd it with a thicker wall tube...
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #277
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I suppose you can...if u have the cash to dump on a whole new one...but what happened to you is not the rule its an exception...plus...they can retubd it with a thicker wall tube...
Yeh i know, but I need to spend my tax return before it burns a hole in my pocket from what i've been reading the tom woods drive shafts (compared to stock) can take a beating....and im not even sure if the guy that would retube it would even be able to find something thicker.....all that aside......i have about 900 left after purchasing the new TW front driveshaft....besides getting the rear SYE with drive shaft with new savvy upper control arms.....is there anything else that my money would be better spent on? that anyone can suggest
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #278
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:

Yeh i know, but I need to spend my tax return before it burns a hole in my pocket from what i've been reading the tom woods drive shafts (compared to stock) can take a beating....and im not even sure if the guy that would retube it would even be able to find something thicker.....all that aside......i have about 900 left after purchasing the new TW front driveshaft....besides getting the rear SYE with drive shaft with new savvy upper control arms.....is there anything else that my money would be better spent on? that anyone can suggest
900 bucks can go a long way on your rig...there us a lot if aftermarket support
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #279
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

oh man, bummer about the driveshaft! But, sometimes ya gotta pay the piper. Rocks are indeed demanding! Hope it didn't ruin the whole tip.
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #280
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bummer you busted your driveshaft, Chris! Look on the bright side, now you have an excuse to spend some money on your rig
qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #281
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
Bummer you busted your driveshaft, Chris! Look on the bright side, now you have an excuse to spend some money on your rig

Its more fun to spend money to improve and upgrade your rig than it is to replace parts...

Have you considered buying a used shaft?
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #282
gactech
1998 ZJ 

image-2613968169.jpg

1st day at KOH. Guess I'm glad I found it at my buddies house rather than out on the lakebed. Trip back to yucca planned today. FFS
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #283
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is that the radiator drain plug leaking?
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #284
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Zj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
What is that the radiator drain plug leaking?
Yes Hotshot. A few calls to Yucca and carquest had it for 7 dollars. Should be out on the lake bed by 10 to watch the Quals
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #285
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, glad to hear it wasn't anything serious.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.