Comp cut, 37s, and street legal... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Comp cut, 37s, and street legal...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Comp cut, 37s, and street legal...

I can't find anything about this being street legal or not. Anybody have any 100% positive info or know anybody who's running comp cut corners and 37s on the street out here?

And no it won't be a daily driver anymore, new job will have me away from home 5-6 days out of the week.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Should be fine as long as you still have blinkers, third brake light and mud flaps of fenders that cover the width of the tire. I think aw12345 is from around here and his rig is street legal on 40s. He can confirm anything if you need
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There are no tire size restrictions in the CVC, but there are a couple other restrictions that relate:
The frame can't be higher than 23" off the ground,
The headlamps need to be between 22"-54" off the ground,
Taillamps need to be between 15"-72" off the ground,
Turn signals can't be lower than 15" off the ground,
Fenders and mud guards need to be as wide as the tire tread,
A couple other things that might pertain to us:
Must have a rear license plate light, must have at least 1 backup light, must have 2 windshield wipers (mechanical), must have 2 rear view mirrors (drivers side door and either passanger side door or middle of windshield), and need front and rear bumpers

I've had a lot of modified rigs that didn't meet these specs and have only been pulled over for no license plate light, just got a warning about it.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good info! Thanks!

My biggest concern is the need for mud flaps and worrying about tire coverage. Still looking for that info. I know the tires need to be covered, but I'm trying to see if I can get away with it. I've only gotten away with it so far because I have Arizona veteran plates. Cops don't **** with me.

Still not enough power.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The code says it must cover the tread and not allow anything spray or get kicked back, I've heard the mud flaps need to be long enough to cover 1/2 the tire, but thats not in the code. One of my buddies fashioned mud flaps using some light duty chain and rubber floor mats, put em on for the inspection after he got a ticket, then took them off. Its all about the cop that sees you and what kind of day they're having. If you have Arizona plates then you might wanna check the vehicle code there, I don't think CA cops will give you a hard time if its ok in the state your vehicle is registered.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
The code says it must cover the tread and not allow anything spray or get kicked back, I've heard the mud flaps need to be long enough to cover 1/2 the tire, but thats not in the code. One of my buddies fashioned mud flaps using some light duty chain and rubber floor mats, put em on for the inspection after he got a ticket, then took them off. Its all about the cop that sees you and what kind of day they're having. If you have Arizona plates then you might wanna check the vehicle code there, I don't think CA cops will give you a hard time if its ok in the state your vehicle is registered.
Jeeps are exempt from requiring mud flaps in Arizona, they are registered as stationwagons or something like that, and the law says "pick up trucks", so that's how they get around it. Cops don't really mess with Jeeps in AZ because of the off road scene being so big out there.

I'm transferring to a CA license which means I'll have to get CA plates, which in turn means I'll be targeted more now. In Phoenix you'll see a full blown buggied out Jeep with comp cut and 37s rollin down the freeway with DPS (Arizona's CHP) right next to them, they don't do anything. Hopefully the company I'm getting hired on with will let me transfer my license back to Arizona, but we'll see about that.

I'd like to be able to do all that out here, but if I'm gonna get slammed with tickets left and right, forget it.

Still not enough power.
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are a lot of vehicles out here that are technically not street legal, either lifted with huge tires and no mud flaps, or slammed to the ground with too little ground clearance. I know a few guys with comp-cuts on 40's and they haven't been ticketed yet, I don't even have fenders on my YJ
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The way I understood it was either the fenders had to cover the width of the tire OR have mud flaps. Either way it doesn't really seem to be a big issue here unless they need a reason to pull you over
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
StvDiego

From the California DMV website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal DMV
VC Section 27600
Fenders and Mudguards

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.
I ran 35's with no flares for quite awhile and never got a second look, however, it seems to be more of an issue with certain cops who feel the need to write.. Attracting attention to the rig in one or way or another; kicking up rooster tails in the rare rain, noise from tires or exhaust, flash or driving style (or lack thereof) seems to be the main common denominator in getting bit
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
jstone18
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took my fenders off of my TJ, got pulled over for something unrelated and ended up with a fix it ticket for the fenders. The chp officer told me that no more than 6" of tire can be exposed. Idk if that's what the law states but that is what he told me.
jstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
jstone18
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I may be buying a jeep from out of state that is similar. Comp cut fenders on 41's so if anyone knows anything about what I have to do to get it registered in CA please let me know, thanks.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone18 View Post
I took my fenders off of my TJ, got pulled over for something unrelated and ended up with a fix it ticket for the fenders. The chp officer told me that no more than 6" of tire can be exposed. Idk if that's what the law states but that is what he told me.
That's BS, the section StvDiego posted is the only section covering that. When he says 6" he's talking about from the bottom of the fenders to the ground lots of chippies have their own interpretation of that section, if it's a fix it, it's not really an issue, if it was a regular cite, I'd fight it all day in court because they simply can't back that based on the vehicle code.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
jstone18
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know the rule on fuel cells, are they legal, what do you do for smog?
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
jstone18
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know this post is from a long time ago but I ended up just registering my jeep as a green sticker vehicle cus that's how the previous owner registered it in his state. Good thing is, no smog and only have to register it every few years at like half the price of a normal vehicle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.